Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What to do until the snow arrives?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to Kitzbuhel tomorrow and the conditions are looking pretty dire at the moment Sad . I understand from all the weather/snow forecasts I've read that things should improve next week - please let them be true!!. I was just wondering if the ski school will still be able to operate and what else there is to do until the snow arrives????
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
topcat, Never been there, but at a guess I'd say its like to have a bar or two Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
topcat, I'm sure you'll be fine, but why not pack some walking boots just in case? That way you still get to see the stunning views Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hire a bike and get up into the hills. if you've never tried mountain biking before, you'll love it. Shock)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

That way you still get to see the stunning views

not today you don't, pissing down up to 2500m and lots of mist.....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
topcat,

Welcome to snowheads.

Get yourself over to the Kitsteinhorn Glacier, Kaprun and ski with the crowds. There are other threads on Kitzbuel (use the search function top left under the pic at the top of the page) and other snowheads are going next week. Perhaps you could rent a mini-bus together and drive over to Kaprun until the snow arrives lower down.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You could head to Scotland instead - there's been a good fall of snow over the last couple of days and all 5 ski areas plan to open at the weekend.

Cairngorm has been open since early December (apart from when high winds have affected operations) and Nevis have been open the last couple of weeks offering some pretty nice looking conditions.

Scotland seems to be faring better than much of the Alps (certainly the low level resorts) this year which is an interesting development IMHO... just wait until the gulf stream switches off, then they'll have stunning conditions whilst the Alps are green!

Best of luck in Kitzbuhel though Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
topcat, TallTone has it right - pack the walking boots.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If there's really no snow (they reckon they're running the Hahnenkamm next w/e, so there must be some), there's plenty of walking. There's a decent enough swimming pool set up, although I imagine everyone else will have that idea. There's ice skating at Schwarzsee, but I guess that'll be swimming too. Plenty of bars, obviously. That's about it, SFAIK. You could hire a car or use the train to travel about. It's a very pretty area. Neuschwannstein castle is not too far away, and I guess that Salzburg is doable.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
roga, Don't think so - Scotland snow still not great here and 70 - 80 mph winds don't make it that pleasant !!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ive spent the last few days drinking quite alot wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Zell am See isn't so far on the train either...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
purplegirl wrote:
roga, Don't think so - Scotland snow still not great here and 70 - 80 mph winds don't make it that pleasant !!

Pah a mere light breeze Wink

I think the wind varies to be honest though - The Lecht looked okay today with a reasonable number there from what I can see on the webcams.

I get the impression on Winterhighland that the snow is a 'tad' better than you suggest and there's been a good base built up over the last couple of months unlike the Alps.

Admittedly I haven't been up since early December but on past experience I trust the Winterhighlanders who are reporting a good build up of snow and there's a few photos to support what they're saying too, like this showing the top of the Ciste tow on Cairngorm Smile

There's also apparently a further "significant" dump forecast for the first half of next week.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the info everyone.

roga - the snow on that picture looks great - just a shame it's not where I'm going.

I've booked up as a package and would lose money if I cancel now. I think I will try and squeeze in my walking boots to tide me over for the first day. I'll phone the ski school in the morning and find their latest info. I've only skiied for a week before so really need to get more lessons before going off to ski on a glacier. I'm sure the conditions will improve but just looking at the pictures I've seen today and other peoples' info on the area things look pretty grim. Crying or Very sad
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
topcat, does look grim at the moment. but there's a possible dusting of snow Saturday night with rather more (perhaps a lot) Tuesday and Wednesday. Doesn't need much to get a covering around Kitzbuhel.
ski holidays
topcat,

Glaciers are generally pretty flat. I learned to ski at Kaprun.
snow report
topcat wrote:
Thanks for all the info everyone.

roga - the snow on that picture looks great - just a shame it's not where I'm going.

Yup, sorry 'bout that but at least you can pop up at a weekend or something if you get the chance - I'm planning to sometime soon.

If there is some skiing the best thing I can suggest is you use your time to brush up on technique etc. I was over in Les Gets at Xmas and the snow wasn't that great but I took some private lessons and spent time practicing so it was a good and quiet fruitful few days on the whole.
Quote:
I've booked up as a package and would lose money if I cancel now. I think I will try and squeeze in my walking boots to tide me over for the first day. I'll phone the ski school in the morning and find their latest info. I've only skiied for a week before so really need to get more lessons before going off to ski on a glacier. I'm sure the conditions will improve but just looking at the pictures I've seen today and other peoples' info on the area things look pretty grim. Crying or Very sad

Don't be downhearted, if there's any skiing it's good and as I say you can spend time practicing technique etc.

Best of luck Smile
snow report
Well I'm here and ok the conditions are certainly not great but I've still had a good day at ski school. We got plenty of skiing done on fairly soft brown snow in the fog/snow/icy rain and I think my parallel turns are coming on quite well now. Lots of snow is forecast for the next few days so things can only get better. snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy