Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Plenty of good fun skiing at Les Deux Alpes.

Poster: A snowHead
Yes it's icy in places, yes the runs to resort are closed, but to all worried snowHeads, I can confirm that there's plenty of good fun skiing on the higher slopes in Les Deux Alpes. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kramer, Thanks for that mate. As everyone says, even if the lower stuff isn't open, we can still get to the higher stuff. God Bless Glaciers. And as for me, a week away from work is a week away from work. The kids will still be going to Creche regardless of snow and that means hubby and I can enjoy some us time. A holiday is a holiday right?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kramer wrote:
Yes it's icy in places, yes the runs to resort are closed, but to all worried snowHeads, I can confirm that there's plenty of good fun skiing on the higher slopes in Les Deux Alpes. Very Happy

I am sure there is but the world and his wife can't all go to the same place!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
lisach,

No but I guess all the readers of snowheads would not fill the area. Still I am off to La Plagne tomorrow and the reports aren't great reading but it's an outdoor sport and I will get what I get I guess, just hope it snows. snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lisach wrote:
Kramer wrote:

I am sure there is but the world and his wife can't all go to the same place!!

Pistes are mostly quiet here in Les Arcs and all lifts are ski straight on, with the exception of one or two usual bottlenecks. Plenty of good skiing today, and that was without the resort opening the Aiguille Rouge (highest part of the domain).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lisach, its a valid point but I personally think 80% of skiers from the UK probably use Tour Ops to organise their hols. In reality, they are stuck with their pre-booked resort or book last minute. Resorts can only cope with the number of beds they have and / or restricted lift pass capacity.

Is that right Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Smokin Joe, and if they choose low "pretty" resorts early in the season they take the risk. chocolate box usually means low altitude. Early season is early season. It's not the sltitude of the resort only though, it's also the altutude of the skiing. LDA = 2008m of skiing ABOVE the village; Val T = 800m ABOVE the village. North facing slopes help too.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski wrote:
Smokin Joe, and if they choose low "pretty" resorts early in the season they take the risk. chocolate box usually means low altitude. Early season is early season. It's not the sltitude of the resort only though, it's also the altutude of the skiing. LDA = 2008m of skiing ABOVE the village; Val T = 800m ABOVE the village. North facing slopes help too.

I wouldn't call mid-feb early season though. Something is needed PDQ to save the season.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Er, it's mid-Jan. The season, or at least the middle of it, will be saved on Monday.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fallliner wrote:
Er, it's mid-Jan. The season, or at least the middle of it, will be saved on Monday.

Sorry I was talking about forecasts, which after the cool down this week show signs of returning to warm weather.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
how has this thread gone from 'positive' good skiing to negative doom and gloom ! the piste will be half empty not half full wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When the snow falls in the next few days it will be a better season than at least four in the past 25 years. Even if no snow fell at all for the rest of the season, it would still be a better season than two of those years.
Anyhow, I've just seen several of next season's skis and boots and am extremely excited about next season's snowfall as a result, wherever it may be.
Also, quick response to Smokin Joe, the lowest estimate (by the tour operators themselves) of the number of independent trips made is over 35%. The highest is that over 60% of trips are now independent. The problem is tracking them.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fallliner,
Quote:

the lowest estimate (by the tour operators themselves) of the number of independent trips made is over 35%. The highest is that over 60% of trips are now independent.

Some serious re-alignment in the number of tour ops now overdue Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh, there are more operators than ever but the growing number is in non-accredited one-chalet types. More like private chalet owners - not really tour operators at all, just UK-owned acommodation. There are over 80 in Morzine alone, up from 5 or so twenty years ago.
snow report
I returned from Les Deux Alpes yesterday, as mentioned above the snow is terrible on the lower slopes there is no real way of getting down without damaging skis, so lifting it down is the only option. The upper slopes ie 3200m have snow and had a sprinkle on Thursday but it wasn't the large chunky flakes we like. So for all those going to Les Deux Alpes don't be disheartened when you enter the resort as there is no snow down there!!

On the morning we left the resort we spoke to the hotel manager he said that we had chosen a good week to come, when asked why he said Alpe D'Huez was closing for 2 weeks due to no snow..... can anyone else confirm this!!
latest report
rayscoops wrote:
how has this thread gone from 'positive' good skiing to negative doom and gloom ! the piste will be half empty not half full wink

Lisach
ski holidays
Nick-o, I think that's most unlikely as they have perfectly reasonable skiing at the higher altitudes, and there've been more than decent reports on here too. Was he an english seasonaire? If so - he knows nozzing!!! rolling eyes
latest report
easiski, that is indeed utter bollix if you ask me. Our ski-tech has been spreading that rumour, which I believe he heard from a (French) coach driver. However, I skied ADH last Monday, and if anything the snow was better than at 2Alpes, a result of assiduous pisting and that little bit of extra altitude. We stayed mostly on the lower slopes and easy bits as my friend had twisted her knee (snowblading rolling eyes ), and we still had a perfectly good day.
snow report
 brian
brian
Exhibit A: GFS ensemble for pretty damn near L2A for the next 16 days

Points to note:

- 48 hour or so dump in the offing starting tomorrow night - up to 50cm of accumulated snow at resort level !
- in the reliable timeframe, every member is way below the 30 year average (red line)
- in the far off unreliable bit, the mean of the set stays below average throughout (apart from one tiny blip)

To summarise, there's a load of snow on the way followed by some nice cold temps. Those out there this week and next are onto an absolute winner Very Happy

Oh and Charlotte, choccy box at 1600m wink
snow conditions
brian, the red line isn't that much of a guide. It would also be nice to see min&max historical bounds.
snow conditions
Just home from Alpe d'Huez on Saturday and heard no word of it closing. There would be plenty of good skiing higher up although some of the lower slopes close to the resort got a beating with the rain on Thursday, but it was still possible to ski down them on Friday. The rain was snow higher up and the slopes near the top were great for skiing on.
ski holidays
I got back from ADH on Saturday also.
The resort runs looked extremely wet/icy Friday, but once above 2,100, or over the far side of The Signal, the skiing was great, albeit a little icy in places

The only real issue was that it is not as picturesque as you would expect, but the resort has worked hard at keeping as many of the runs open as possible.

On the plus side, 6 days out of 7 of blue skies and warm temps certainly make those beers slip down with ease Toofy Grin

Weather looks like it is getting cold and a steady dumping during this week, so unlikely it will close as a resort, maybe just protecting the lower slopes
latest report
Kramer wrote:

Sorry, if I hadn't missed this thread earlier, I would have dropped this post here.

Good to meet you Kramer - I agree about the snow at LDA. And the forecast looks promising, too.
latest report
its a lovely photo achilles, , but did you read this? wink
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, nope, I had not. And I hope the mods reconsider. It seems grossly OTT. I notice the thread is locked - otherwise I would have commented in it.
snow conditions
achilles, I go to a lot of trouble to reduce the size of my photos to what seems a reasonable one (0.5 normal websize). The time I posted thumbnails it was obvious that peeps had not bothered to look at them, so I went back to posting the pix. It's not worth the effort of doing the photos if they're not going to be seen by many, and certainly if the miserable non-believers don't have them right in their faces!! Twisted Evil
snow report
This photo is taken from the top of LDA, it was taken last wednesday.

This is a view looking down to LDA centre.

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy