Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Technical Socks?

Poster: A snowHead
I have just realised that there is a vast array of technical socks available for skiing - yeh I know I am a bit slow!! I use technical socks for running so understand how the sock can assist with comfort etc.

Is it time to throw away all my old thick tube socks and go technical? Also a lot of what I have on the net seem contain a percentage of wool which I am alergic to.

Comments, recommended ones to buy etc would be welcome.

TIA

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 18-01-07 20:36; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go technical you wont regret it , Smartwool make some great ones
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Personally, I've never been able to ski in thick socks. The nest bits about technical socks for me are 1) the longer lenth which means you've got cushioning for your shin against the tongue of the boot, 2) the cushioning around the shin while the bit around your foot is thin, and 3) a lot of them are quick-drying and have anti-bacterial treatment - very important after skiing in a pair for a couple of days!!
I have 2 pairs of Lafuma ones which are a little bit on teh warm side for me, and 2 pairs of excellent ones that I picked up in France but can't remember the name of (they come in a left and right though if that helps).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mistermouse, Smartwool sounds like they have wool in them - no good for me as the last thing I want is a itchy rash on my feet and legs. I will have a search around and check the content of their produce.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CP, I guarantee, smartwool will not itch. i've been seling them for many years and have made the same promise many times without anyone returning them.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I like the Thorlos Xtreme 1's
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
big fan of Falke, smartwool i am told is warmer if you suffer from cold feet.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Like my thorlos. Might try some of the Decathlon high end ones soon.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
used to be big on thorlos but they have a lot of non - natural fibres and break down sooner that the wool ones. one mans opinion though
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret wrote:
used to be big on thorlos but they have a lot of non - natural fibres and break down sooner that the wool ones.

My solution was to buy the last 13 pairs of my size for a fiver each when the Nevisport shop in Nottm closed down.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spyderjon, ahh shear luxury fresh socks forever
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CP, my wife and daughter use smartwool and love them, no ichiness whatsoever...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
X socks are a good fit.. I have a pair of Therlos snowboarding socks which were good but have been dissed by the X socks and Salomon socks as they are are thinner.
Smartwool are good as well.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thorlos sound like they are worth trying, I use their running socks which are excellent.

Thanks for the responses.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I use Thorlos, X socks and Falke. My favourites are the X socks, closely followed by the Falke ones.
snow report
CP, ...... I agree with SMALLZOOKEEPER, - I bought some smartwool socks from him - he said they would make me very smart so I bought four pairs - they obviously work ........ Toofy Grin
snow conditions
who sells x socks havent heard of them
snow report
My vote's for Smartwool. Thinnest and warmest socks I've ever worn.
ski holidays
I got some ladies technical Salomon socks in TK Maxx - very comfy in my opinion and didn't get cold feet. I borrowed some Smartwool ones too - they were warm as well but I don't think the padded bits were as good (although if you want very thin ones...). Both of these have wool in them though. I also have a pair of Bridgedale ski socks - bit thicker but still have ankle support etc, fit very well, warm, and no wool!
snow conditions
Falke SK2s
ski holidays
Mine have 'L' and 'R' on the feet. I have no idea why, as it appears to make no difference if you put them on the wrong way round.
snow report
Lizzard, ...... I can see you are a bit of a 'Thrill-seeker' then..... Toofy Grin

....... eating 'After-Eight' mintys at 7-0'clock gets the adrenalin going as well........ Toofy Grin
ski holidays
The reason you may have a reaction to normal wool is usually due to the fibre length. In normal wool it is short and therefore there are more fibre ends to dig into your skin and irritate it. The reason smartwool are so good is they use Merino wool from NZ which has the characteristic of longer fibre length. This will mean there are less ends to stick into your skin and therefore less irritation. I would vote for these everytime as they are the warmest sock around, they stay up all day long with no bunching and they don't smell at all! I've been on trips where two pairs last me the whole week and they smell as fresh as daisies! I recommend you buy a pair and wear them around the house with your boots on. You will soon find out if they are going to irritate.
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
Mine have 'L' and 'R' on the feet. I have no idea why, as it appears to make no difference if you put them on the wrong way round.

I've got that too - the Salomon race socks (like these, although they're cheaper at TK Maxx). Have to confess I didn't even notice until I took them off one day and realised I'd muddled them up and had apparently been skiing with 2 left feet!
latest report
CP, I have just bought 3 pair of Bridgedale ski socks, I was also given a further pair free to test, so far so good, I have purposley worn them for four days at a time and they don't smell!! warm and comfortable, I have no idea what they are made of, it seemed more significant to try them without preconcived ideas based on the composition. They fit well don't bunch or come down and what is more important to me they are not too tight at the top which can sometimes cause poor blood circulation and cold feet. Just my tuppence worth.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 20-01-07 11:51; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Used my Smart wool socks for about the last 3 seasons... they are very comfortable and warm. They seem to dry real quick to which is handy...
snow conditions
Just found this old thread through the search function - has anyone who normally struggles with wool tried Smart wool socks?
ski holidays
I am highly sensitive to wool (even the supposedly itch-free merino base layers are a no-no for me) but have used smartwool socks (thin, medium and thick) without any trouble. They do shrink (even on a 30 degree hand wash cycle) but stay remarkably fresh - I can wear them for 2 days no problem but judging by the average standard of hygiene of fellow skiers on chairlifts most skiers would happily make one pair last a week. I am still making up my mind about thin vs thick, a task I am having to start again given I have just changed boots. I did get cold feet on occasion in L2A a few weeks ago, but the temperature rarely got above -19 all week.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Smartwool socks are no longer as good as they were. The company sold out to Timberland and the quality has suffered. Teko are a really good alternative, as good as the old Smartwool.

CEM flogs them.
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
skimottaret wrote:
used to be big on thorlos but they have a lot of non - natural fibres and break down sooner that the wool ones.

My solution was to buy the last 13 pairs of my size for a fiver each when the Nevisport shop in Nottm closed down.

Luxury at £15 a pair I only have 3 pairs (and thought that was a bit rash) and have to do a mid week wash. Still wouldn't wear owt else.

BTW I also use little Hotties toe warmers, nice and toasty all day whatever the weather.
snow report
Dypcdiver wrote:
CP, I have just bought 3 pair of Bridgedale ski socks, I was also given a further pair free to test, so far so good, I have purposley worn them for four days at a time and they don't smell!! warm and comfortable, I have no idea what they are made of, it seemed more significant to try them without preconcived ideas based on the composition. They fit well don't bunch or come down and what is more important to me they are not too tight at the top which can sometimes cause poor blood circulation and cold feet. Just my tuppence worth.

Are U winding us up here, you MUST wear a fresh pair every day.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy