Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Loss of Alpine snow may force climate action

Poster: A snowHead
I know its another gloom story Sad

http://www.expatica.com/actual/article.asp?subchannel_id=26&story_id=35615
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is some move in this direction from France. Dominique de Villepin asked for some report about France's place in the global winter sports industry and has been told it is far to reliant on downhill skiing and doesn't stack up well against Switzerland. Certainly the Tarentaise resorts want to develop the Spa industry (as exists for example at Brides les Bains).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I know that the Communes of Serre Chevalier are supposed to be gearing themselves up for climate change. Hence the massive investment in the new 'Grands Bains' in Monetier-les-Bains.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wonder if next season if we have 2m of snow at base stations in November people will decide global warming was a dud? I'm so bored of the knee jerk reactions to one bad season rolling eyes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
toiletduckuk wrote:
I wonder if next season if we have 2m of snow at base stations in November people will decide global warming was a dud? I'm so bored of the knee jerk reactions to one bad season rolling eyes

I feel your pain but in the case of the French PM (de Villepin) he asked for a study way back in September before anyone, bar the peasants, knew it was going to be a dud season. There are some French resorts, some say up to a dozen, that are not going to survive this year. Abondance and le Sappey probably won't open their ski lifts in 2008. So it makes sense for others to think ahead for more difficult conditions.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Didn't really consider that - I was only speaking in terms of people blaming global warming rather than the luck of the meteorological draw. Contigencies for bad weather and/or rising temps is reasonable and obviously a good idea anyway, but still - people act like the sea has risen a meter from a shakey start to winter
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What I do not understand about all this is that one of the consequences of global warming is supposed to be the disruption of the Gulf Stream which will actually make it much colder in Northern Europe. Is the temperature in the Alps affected by the stream (in which case global warning will make it colder) or is to too far from the sea or too far south to be affected?

Anyway I am looking forward to a short drive to the North Downs for a bit of sliding once the doom scenario takes place!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think it makes sense for some of the resorts to begin looking into diversification and promoting the summer months more. Regardless of the global warming argument and whether this is a sure thing or a case of extreme weather. Some resorts have, say, 12 weeks of activity in the winter and the vast majority of the year is then off-peak. The sensible resorts will start maknig contingencies but I'm not sure about the economics of all this. I assume it costs a huge amount of money to keep lifts in operation and this wouldn't be an option for summer use without good winter seasons to pay for it?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Maybe some resorts should install dry ski slopes, and put a large emphasis on being resorts strictly for beginners?

If they get snow, whenever they get it, well, so much the better.

Could do 2 week holidays: week 1 in Abondance, week 2 in Avoriaz.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
crosbie, very nice idea.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
toiletduckuk

>>>People act like the sea has risen a meter from a shakey start to winter>>>

I do under your context.

If you lived in The Netherlands you may take a diffferent outlook. Any sea level rise (which it is) is being taken with the upmost concern. 11+ miilion people will be affected.

It is a clear & present danger.

If the pundits are right on Global Wamring then the snow or rain dumps in the Alps will be more severe with rapid melt, Sea Levels wil rise. The Netherlands will get downstream flooding from the the rivers (Rhein, Maas) and flooding from the Sea Sad

Sea Level Rise will also effect South East England, where I think most people live .
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
MrDan, you'd need a heck of a lot of plastic though.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stanton wrote:
toiletduckuk

I do under your context.

If you lived in The Netherlands you may take a diffferent outlook. Any sea level rise (which it is) is being taken with the upmost concern. 11+ miilion people will be affected.

If the pundits are right on Global Wamring then the snow or rain dumps in the Alps will be more severe with rapid melt, Sea Levels wil rise. The Netherlands will get downstream flooding from the the rivers (Rhein, Maas) and flooding from the Sea Sad

Sea Level Rise will also effect South East England, where I think most people live .

I'm not saying global warming is a happy smiley event, or it's not a potential threat - BUT, this is not close to hard evidence, it's weather. Weather has good spells and bad spells. If this was the first time ever winter had been delayed starting - OK, you can perhaps attribute it to evidence of global warming. However, it's not, so taking this to heart as the apocalypse is over the top.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We can do our bit but its a worldwide issue.

I was completely amazed that Dubai didnt have solar power ? Mind you we should have wind turbines - we have had gale force winds for nearly two weeks now !

America and China - I wont even go there !
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Smokin Joe wrote:
Mind you we should have wind turbines - we have had gale force winds for nearly two weeks now !

Unfortunately, during gale conditions most if not all wind turbines have to shut down for safety reasons, so don't actually generate any power! Shocked
ski holidays
toiletduckuk wrote:
stanton wrote:
toiletduckuk

I do under your context.

I'm not saying global warming is a happy smiley event, or it's not a potential threat - BUT, this is not close to hard evidence, it's weather. Weather has good spells and bad spells. If this was the first time ever winter had been delayed starting - OK, you can perhaps attribute it to evidence of global warming. However, it's not, so taking this to heart as the apocalypse is over the top.

By hard evidence, would you mean steadily rising global temperatures in recent years?

One late arriving winter (assuming it arrives at all), is not evidence. But it is a consequence.
ski holidays
Not one of you has mentioned lack of fresh water in the off season.

summer tourists. What are they all going to drink?
ski holidays
food for thought in the last 350 years the 10 hottest years have happened in the last 15 years. doesnt sound like a one off bad year to me......
snow report
comprex, or residents. Some of the higher villages near Briancon have suffered badly from drought in the summer recently.
snow conditions
comprex, beer. No-one drunk the (abundant) water in England for hundreds of years. wink
ski holidays
laundryman, yep, but that was because of the nasty bacteria in it, and you still need water to make beer.
ski holidays
laundryman, there you go then. The Dutch need to invent a saltwater-thriving beer yeast & thereby solve everything.

Including what summer tourists can put forest fires out with.

Silly slackers for not getting on it sooner.
snow report
comprex wrote:
Not one of you has mentioned lack of fresh water in the off season.

summer tourists. What are they all going to drink?

Where I come from (Seattle), we learned long ago that a low snowpack in the winter in the mountains means water rationing in the summer in the city. It also means high electricity bills because our power is hydroelectric.
ski holidays
Nice to see Prince Charles doing his bit for Global warming

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_2164961.html?menu=
ski holidays
DB, breathtaking!
snow report
^^ what a plonker!
snow report
I dont understand how the princes PR office didnt see the irony in that one. Puzzled
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy