Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go with a 14month old and a mother who needs easy pistes?

Poster: A snowHead
Hiya, not been to snowheads for some time cause a little one has arrived.
Starting to get itching feet so just a few questions:
Thinking of dragging my mother along to look after the little one- She doesn’t ski and will be quite happy looking after junior and we not planning skiing the whole day. Does this normally work (yes- and we all get on fine) or are there any other recommendations?

Much more of a problem is where to go? The better-half was a timid skier before junior arrived, so I’m looking for somewhere to go with easy easy motorway cruising so she can get her confidence back.
Needless to add that a short transfer and something to do for the non skiers must also feature.
Any suggestions re where to go and how ski with a 14month old will be much appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If junior likes swimming then try for a resort with thermal baths. "Bad" in German = "Bath".

e.g.
Bad Gastein
Bad Hofgastein
Bad KleinKirchen

Austria, Italy and Switzerland have resorts with thermal baths.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There were quite a few threads on skiing with wee ones last year ... I'm sure I started one or two so you could do a search on skiing with babies and also on confidence building resorts.

Just before anyone recommends you to Cervinia for the confidence building motorways - it wouldn't get my vote - and besides there's very little to do there.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you are happy in a French ambiance with zero British tour operators, you could try our resort, Les Saisies. Sold on its gentle pistes, but lift linked to Notre Dame de Bellecombe with more challenging terrain and some little used off piste. Plenty of nice cafes, along the village street which is between the ski runs, with a nice caff right at the top of the nursery slope, so you can meet up with grandma and the little one can podge around in the snow with a stick. You can hire little sledgy things and buggies for kids. There is a wide range of accommodation available in the village, depending on what sort of thing you want. We have an apartment out in the sticks, piste side, but you should aim for the main village so grandma can get out easily for elevenses. There are some very good piste-bashed paths for walkers, which your mother would enjoy (snowshoes are cheap to hire, easy to use, give a great feeling of security) including one up to a super mountain restaurant, with stunning views of Mont Blanc, sitting between two easy green slopes. Other restaurant, with magnificent views, accessible for pedestrians by chairlift. Nothing to do except ski, skate (outdoor rink), walk, gently shop, eat super cakes, drink excellent coffee. No swimming pool - but except for a very active grandma, getting 14 month old out of full cold weather gear, into a pool, dressed and out again is Hard Work. Very scenic, exceptional snow record (village is at 1600m but our skiing is all still intact, except the south facing blacks, which have been closed for a while and look very sad). Some lovely, sort of English speaking, ski instructors who are just the job for a private lesson for a nervous skier - and only 50 euros for two hours. If you wanted any local advice, glad to help. I have no commercial interest, we don't rent out our apartment, even if it was in the right location for you.

When are you thinking of travelling? Remember the French school hols, 10 February for 4 weeks. Good luck. snowHead Welcome back. There is Life after Babies. We did a ski holiday with my mother when our littlest was 3. Great success, mum loved it, but it was essential that she could get out, down the road and into a cafe by the slopes under her own steam. Don't go anywhere where she has to get on a bus, plus baby, to get anywhere near the slopes.

On the other hand, if your mother is more into expensive shopping than mine, and would like a more sophisticated ambiance generally rather than a small French family resort, you could try somewhere like Cortina or Megeve. But the size and accessibility of everything in Les Saisies is great; if you have a car you can always park within a few yards of the village centre and nursery slopes. Try that in Val Despair.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DB wrote:
If junior likes swimming then try for a resort with thermal baths. "Bad" in German = "Bath".

e.g.
Bad Gastein
Bad Hofgastein
Bad KleinKirchen

And so indeed does France.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Word of warning - very young children often get altitude sickness when suddenly transported to high resorts. Something to do with lungs not being fully developed. Friends of mine took a 1 year old to La Plagne two years ago - cue three days of misery and sleepless nights. Doctor said not to worry but mother was a tad distressed.

As for resorts - try Zell am Zee. Lovely resort, plenty to do and only an hour away from Salzburg.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Try Les Gets in France - only 1hr 10 mins from Geneva. At 1172m in the village - it doesnt tend to get as cold for young kids as the higher resorts do. Pretty Alpine village with nice views of Mont Blanc and loads of trees. Pistes are natural meadows - so quite gentle with no rocks.
Has the 'Petit Montagnard' classification which means its child friendly. Check out the website www.lesgets.com and have a look at their online brochure. Good number of webcams showing current conditions. Linked to Morzine/Avoriaz/Portes Du Soleil by easy blues if you want.
Have been with kids (4 months and 3 years) and grandparents (non skiers) for last 3 years now. Needs some snow at the moment though. Avoid 2nd week in Feb as its French hols.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Avoid 2nd week in Feb as its French hols.

the four weeks from 10 February are French hols
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Try Les Gets in France

Yes, Les Gets is a good place, and if you have a car there you can drive up to the beginning of the main lifts and sit in a cafe at the bottom of the pistes, and see the skiing, and meet up with skiers. But you do need a car (or to go up in a lift). You're not right in the middle of the slopes in the village street. It's also quite low in Les Gets, so will need a lot of new snow to be nice at resort level (though one good snowstorm would do it, in the short term at least). Trouble is, it looks as though milder weather could be back soon, albeit not quite as tropical as the last few weeks. So it will be important to be somewhere where grandma, at resort level, has some white stuff to look at, and to take the little one to play in.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Helen Beaumont wrote:
DB wrote:

e.g.
Bad Gastein
Bad Hofgastein
Bad KleinKirchen

And so indeed does France.

They got baths in France? getaway Wink

Seriously I just didn't know, which resorts?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Try La Cluzas , 1 and a bit hrs from Geneva , lovely Village lots of French ambience ,great skiing for all levels but particularly good for beginners/low inters. Much to do for none skiers, great marked walking tracks,swimming pool set in mountains, ice skating and a easy bus ride into Annecy + (lots more) Good Luck snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
moon, agreed, I love La Clusaz. Lots to keep my mum occupied who doesn't ski, and they often have festivals on with stuff for kids. Good skiing for beginners too, great place!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You could stay in Aosta and ski in Pila (linked by 8 min cablecar ride). Aosta is a reasonable sized city and should have more to do for non-skiers than many resorts.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Aosta is a reasonable sized city and should have more to do for non-skiers than many resorts.

It depends so much on what the "non skier" wants. My mother would have hated being dumped in an Italian city, no interest at all in shopping, wanted to be in the mountains, and to be able to see the grandchildren skiing without having to go up lifts (a bit of vertigo) and do plenty of reading and relaxing. Her most enjoyable morning was in the café next to the nursery slope watching our little one have a first go on the rope tow and reading her book. It was also vital for the skiers to be able to get back quickly to the accommodation, so we could take it in turns to go out for the odd hour, get back for lunch etc. Shed have got a bit lonely and fed up if she had been left all day.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Louis, while it doesn't have much snow at the moment, Kitzbuhel would be good for skiers and non-skiers. It's about one hour from either Salzburg or Innsbruck, it has a large swimming/sports centre, plenty of restaurants and non-skiers can take the Hahnenkamm lift up to the restaurant to meet skiers (small charge for the lift). There are also several long blues which would be good for confidence building.

I'd second DB's recommendation of Bad Gastein. The thermal baths are really nice and there are lots of good hotels with facilities. Just stay near the lift in Bad Gastein to avoid going up and down the hill every day.
snow conditions
Thanks guys, loads of really helpful info!!
Local ski-guru at work mentioned Seefeld, Austria....any thoughts?
snow conditions
Louis, Would recommend Vallandry as part of Les Arcs. Very much a family resort, plenty of easy Blues, was there over Xmas with grandma and grandad (69 and 71) who both skied happily.

If you're looking for catered, try Ski Beat in peisey-Vallandry - have used them before and they are fine and have good childcare. There is also a private nanny service available in area, although pricey. The nursery in Vallandry (Tom Pouce) is very good, have used it a few times and would recommend it - they speak English and are very friendly.

In terms of travel - well other threads will show opinions vary. Personally we drove when ours were a similar age and did the same thing the next year with a 3 month old as well. Have not had any problems with altitude with them.

Downside is not the best for non-skier.

Other option we also used is La Tanie, again a friendly quieter resort. But with benefit of bus to Courcheval for non-skiers to wonder around shops and cafes etc
latest report
Louis, look at Zell am See in Austria.
I'v got 2 grandchildren aged 22 months and 2 months
we are going to be in Zell in March.
Also last year we went with the oldest who was only 10 months then
took her up the glasier to the "Big apple" where she played all day with other babies, while we took it in turns to ski. (they have baby changing rooms , microwaves for bottles etc.)
ski holidays
Quote:

Local ski-guru at work mentioned Seefeld, Austria....any thoughts?

never been there, but I believe it's more noted for cross country skiing?
snow conditions
Louis
Can confirm the altitude issue with young babies, we went to Les 2 Alpes when our boy was 9 months, he did not sleep through one night(He usually did) woke up just after we went to bed and would not sleep, cried for hours. So I would advise a low resort with access to high slopes to make sure baby is OK. And bearing in mind the poor snow so far.
I would try Zell am See or Kaprun, both linked with ski bus, and Kaprun is a glacier resort, mainly easy blues on the glacier, I had 4 days in Kaprun in late Nov last year on my own, town was pretty. Bus to Zell is about 20 mins, it has nice big lake for Gran and baby to go for a walk.
You can get the train to Zell from Salburg take approx 2hrs.
Our boy is now 2 1/2 we are going to Flaine on the 3rd which has a good reputation for kids but mainly for a bit older, Samoens is linked to Flaine and is reputed to be one of the best preserved French alpine market towns, you will need to go independant though, dont think any operators go Samoens.
Transfer to Flaine etc is about 1 hour by road.
Good luck
snow conditions
Hi,

I would recommend Les Gets too. We went there for two consecutive years. The 2nd was with our 2 yr old son. We put him in the Snowkidz creche for part of the day (english run). He was absolutely fine. The weather was mixed so he didn't go in the snow a lot. The village is lovely and the slopes are very close. You can also take the cable car (either the main side or Mt Cherry) up easily so your Mum could meet you for lunch. we stayed in Chalet Hotel La Sabaudia (http://www.sabaudia.fr/) which was on the main road opposite the slopes. This had a swimming pool which was a wonderful place for the kids to go after skiing. The chalet was fantastic and very close to the centre.

Regards
Clare
snow report
Les Gets is good for families, been there last two years, but worried for this year's trip with so little snow - the resort is closed at the moment
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy