Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carled, when are we allowed to get properly excited

Poster: A snowHead
Have been following the weather related threads, they have been very informative. Thanks. But when can we start to get properly excited about next weeks possible cold and snow. Am heading to Avoriaz on the 31st Jan so have absolutely everything crossed that the rest of the PDS will have some substantial snow by then.

Thanks snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
begsski, well I'm getting excited about next week's snow now! snowHead Heading off on Saturday Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Begssski - forecasts accuracy goes rapidly downhill beyond three days so continue to hope but not expect for a few more days. I'm sure there will definitely be snow before your trip on the 31st anyway. If not, we're all in trouble!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Paul100, cheers. Hope you are right. If i stay crossed in this position much longer i think i will get arthritis Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IIRC it's all down to the quality or was it quantity of Carled's puppy doo doo - Maybe Carled hasn't been around this morning because the pup has the runs.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
begsski, Hope there's snow next week as I am going on the 26 th !
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Annie, that's spooky... he HAS got the runs!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
surely this must be a sign of impending snow chaos, I'll go out and check in the garden on what my dog has produced when I get home. . . . Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
carled, now im really excited Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
FWIw, I walked our dog this morning, and she was tearing around like a 6 month puupy.A sure sign of falling temperatures and snow.
Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Helen Beaumont wrote:
FWIw, I walked our dog this morning, and she was tearing around like a 6 month puupy.A sure sign of falling temperatures and snow.
Very Happy

I can understand the excitement animals have ways of sensing these things before we can. Is she a skier or a boarder?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DB, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Very Happy

Wey hey how spooky is this, our dog had the runs this morning and was tearing around like a 6 month puppy................oh come to think of it he is a 6 month old puppy!

Still .........bring it on!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think we're getting a bit desperate, folks. I am wondering how much of our snow, which has been holding up very well so far, will be left after 24 hours of heavy rain to 2600m, confidently forecast by the local tourist office as well as snow-forecast.... if good weather could be produced by dogs behaving badly French ski resorts should have nothing to fear!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, and such a high freezing level at the weekend too. Sad . Even I'm starting to get despondent and I'm a 'glass half-full' kinda girl.
snow conditions
well at least there will hopefully be snow to follow Confused
snow report
 brian
brian
Chin up people, always darkest before the dawn and other such clichés rolling eyes

Excellent model agreement between all of the big 3 for a blocking high to the West of the UK by Sunday and an area of Low pressure bringing a decent dump round about next Tuesday. On the latest runs, the Southern French alps are in prime position. wink
ski holidays
brian, thank you!!! snowHead
snow report
before you say it,yes iam a plank,is la plagne classed as south alps?
snow conditions
notverygoodatskiing, No its not, but it does have reasonable snow from 2000m up at the mo Very Happy
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, thanx,what is it classed as?
ski holidays
I wanted to ask the same question about Courchevel but thought I would look like a plank!! So well done ' notverygoodatskiing ', all the best -------PLank the 2nd
latest report
 brian
brian
notverygoodatskiingorgeography, northern alps Laughing
snow report
Sad
snow conditions
 brian
brian
notverygoodatskiing, cheer up, snow chances are pretty good for anywhere south of Mt Blanc really !
snow report
Very Happy thats better
snow conditions
brian wrote:
notverygoodatskiing, cheer up, snow chances are pretty good for anywhere south of Mt Blanc really !

La Plagne's south of Mt Blanc then?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
skanky, yep.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brian, Thanks. One day, I'll actually look at a decent map of the area. rolling eyes
snow conditions
animal snow forecasting, yet another reason to get a dog!

does it still work if you live in London and want to predict snowfall in Alps?

and how do you fine tune them? Yank the tail? Press the nose? Twist the ears?

Doggeee Doggeee Doggeee Shocked
snow report
how we looking carled, what does the crystal ball tell you?
snow report
Officially - I am now excited! Even though it looks like there's little snow in Kitzbuhel and its going to be raining at the weekend - I will find some snow somewhere! snowHead snowHead
latest report
I'm not excited - andorra has gone from predicting 54 cm over the next week to 6 cm Sad Sad
latest report
Quote:
I'm not excited - andorra has gone from predicting 54 cm over the next week to 6 cm

Smokin Joe - sadly this is why I keep telling the (mainly) noobies on here that come on hyperventilating about snow-forecast and the like "predicting x cm of snow" that they shouldn't swallow the gospel according to snow-forecast (or met-check). Bear in mind that tomorrow they may go back to predicting 50cm again anyway, but more importantly bear in mind that the amount of snowfall is impossible to predict. Be happy that the temperature will be incredibly cold and that will allow them (and trust me, they'll use them at this time of year) to get the snow cannons going.

The reason the forecast precipitation has disappeared is that the gfs model currently has two big lumps of precipitation hovering around to the south east and north west of Andorra through next Wednesday for a few days. To assume this is accurate is ludicrous, it CANNOT be predicted to that extent. If it is accurate, it will be by fluke. Up until and EVEN WHEN THE EVENT IS HAPPENING the weather models change and more or less precipitation can result.

A fundamental thing to grasp here is that you cannot change what the weather will do... it took me years to realise this and, once I did, I started going out on ski holidays with a far better mental attitude to make the most of whatever conditions I got. Maybe this year it will be better than you thought? Maybe last year you had great conditions? Maybe NEXT year you'll get great conditions? It all evens out over time and, if I was free to go, I'd currently choose to go in the week commencing 27th Jan. I can't go until 10th Feb, by which time the conditions may be horrendous or may have recovered tremendously and be utterly fantastic... dunno and don't care, I'll have a great time if only one slope is open, trust me!
latest report
carled,a tremendously positive attitude.
snowHead
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, Where has he hidden his wet blanket???? Laughing
snow report
carled, If more skiers walked at other times of the year in the mountains they would soon realise that forecasting mountain weather can be a lottery.
snow report
Quote:

if I was free to go, I'd currently choose to go in the week commencing 27th Jan.

thats when im in la plagne Very Happy ,what makes you positive about that week(not that im looking for reassurance or anything)
ski holidays
riverman, we had guests from the UK staying in our apartment in August. It snowed while they were there. Not in the village though.
latest report
Helen Beaumont, When i was walking in the Dolemites in July 2005 it snowed .
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy