Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car Rental - Fitting Snow Chains

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Given the positive vibes here on snow next week Toofy Grin I'm looking for some tips on use of snow chains.

I'm collecting a car from Geneva that has winter tyres and snow chains. I've driven in snow before but never had to fit snow chains...how easy are they to fit and maybe in the dark Shocked

Do hire cars come with a ladder chains? and any tips what I should do if I need them? I'm renting via Budget CH.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scooter, all the snow chains we've had with hire car have been the basic types (i'm assuming the ladder chains you mention are more complicated?)

to be honest I have found them a bit difficult to fit especially in the dark! make sure you have a torch and a willing assistant and pray for a passing local to take pity on you Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Roger C, Thanks, what is the difficult bit? I've done some reading up but until you have to do it for real you don't know what the hassles will be! Mad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
i have tried to blank the experience from my memory both times we've done it but i think it was connecting them around the back correctly that was most difficult

probably our bad technique and lack of research more than anything else Embarassed

snow tyres make a big difference so good to see you have them
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scooter, nice to see some optimism.

Buy yourself a cheap headtorch. It'll pay for itself 100 times over if you need to fit chains in the dark.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

all the snow chains we've had with hire car have been the basic types (i'm assuming the ladder chains you mention are more complicated?)

no, I think ladder chains are the older ones - the only person I have seen fitting those was a French plumber with a gauloise hanging out of the corner of his mouth and a 25 year old 2CV. He had no problems at all..... but the newer ones are easier. The main thing is that if you are likely to have to fit them in anger you MUST practice beforehand, e.g. in a car park with no snow. My friend Gordon had to fit them on 1 January, for the first time, and being a perfectionist he jacked the car up, took the wheel off, fitted the chain beautifully, put the wheel back on and then noticed an incredulous Frenchman watching him, indicating that he would demonstrate how it should be done. "His was a right mess,", said Gordon, "all crooked, mine was far better!".

If you decide against Gordon's patent method....You need to check there's no tangles on the chain, then push the long end of the solid wire right through behind the wheel, on the ground (clear the snow first...), then bring up the two ends and attach them in front of the top of the wheel. Then attach the chains which will go across the shoulder of the wheel BEFORE shoving the solid bit right back over to the back of the tyre, pushing it right down so that it is well clear of the tread. If you notice where the sprocket/wheel fitting thing is, at the front of the wheel (it will be near the bottom, and is often a different colour) it will make it far easier to locate where the join is, when you come to take the chains off. The further you can shove it down the back, the easier it is to then..... grab the long chain, often with a rubber tensioner, wrap round some kind of wheel/sprocket and then stretch across and do it up to anything handy, as tight as you can. Then drive a few yards and tighten up, then drive about 50 yards and tighten up again.

And keep telling yourself, as you wonder about frostbite in the fingers, that you are only having to do all this because it is SNOWING!!!

Do practice, do put chains on at the first sign of loss of traction, and don't be one of those idiots everyone curses at, causing a traffic jam.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scooter - having only had to fit snow chains once, my advice would be to take either some Marigold gloves or disposable latex gloves as you'll have the miserable choice of getting your hands filthy; frostbite or not having enough dexterity to manipulate the chains. We carry disposable latex gloves in the car and they seem to keep just enough cold out - without compromising on dexterity.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scooter, Take a penknife as well as a torch (in hold baggage for the flight obviously). With all the hire company chains that I have used the box has been held shut with a plastic cable tie. Trying to find something to cut through it can be fun.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scooter, I'm afraid unless you practice you will find that your partner will always fit the one on their side before you do resulting in a signifcnat loss of face and self esteem. I fitted unfamiliar but new (rental car) chains on Jan 3rd and found them easier/simpler than in previous years but was still 45 seconds behind Mrs Frosty...darn it

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 16-01-07 23:05; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scooter, and head torches can justifiably be worn for the purpose of chain fitting but take care to remove immediatly to avoid the geek look (unless you are to going caving at once)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all your replies......I've been laughing out loud at all the experiences and tips.....at least if I have to use them I know I've got a weeks skiing on fresh pistes.. Very Happy I've now put together a newbies pack of...gloves/waterproof sheet/headtorch/partner that can fit snow chains wink .... however, not sure my family will appreciate me practicing fitting chains at Geneva airport when the resort beckons snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w,

Thanks. I'm going to print your detailed instructions and keep them handy....here's hoping I need them snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The road up to Les Arcs is likely to be clear as far as Arc 1800 unless it's snowing heavily when you arrive. I've only once had to fit chains before this point, and that was during a complete blizzard. If the final section of the road is snowy and you want to fit chains, pull into the small multi-storey car park that you see as you get to Arc 1800 (first two hours you can park for free). You can then fit chains in a dry, snow-free environment with plenty of light to see what you're doing. Much, much better than trying to fit on the roadside Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar,

Thanks Rob. Cool
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've driven down to the Alps a few times now, and fortunately never had to fit my chains in anger yet (I bet that's me scuppered for next time I drive Sad ), but have practiced several times on the drive at home, including doing it in the dark by torchlight. As others say a headtorch or something similar will be invaluable.

The key is to make sure that everything is untangled and the clamps fully released before you start, othewise it will seem inpossible and lead to anger, swearing and frustration. Then its a case of feeding the cable round the back of the wheel and being able to draw it across far enough so that you can both reach the two ends and bring them together enough to clip then together (in whichever direction that may be - the instructions say to do this at the top of the wheel, I find it easier to do this at the back of the wheel on my car as their is less gubbins on the inside of the wheel at the front so the cable can be drawn across there further. I guess this bit will be different for each type of car). After this, Pam W's instructions say it better then I can.

If you have an old pair of ski gloves that you could relegate to this task then that would be good, as you will (a) take some time and get cold hands, (b) get wet hands, (c) the gloves you use will be fithy afterward and not fit for anything else.

Best of luck - Jon.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy