Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GPS Watch

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good GPS watch/device for skiing?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have look at

http://www.navman.com/Navman/Templates/productinformation____5997.aspx
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There are some more here: http://www.sailgb.com/c/gps_watches/1810/.

The Suunto watch looks very cool, more than I'd be willing to spend on one though. The chunkier GPS units can be had for about £70 upwards, so really it just depends how deep your pockets are wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Consider battery life - not all the 'small' gps units are designed to run 'all day'.
I ended up getting a Foretrex 100, which whilst small, and running on AAA nicads, will last about 8 hours on a battery set, so if you want an 'always on' small unit, it's ok.
I recall discussion that the Suunto is not very good at calculating speed or max speed (something to do with the limited number of data points it records) - although that discussion was more in the context of comparing speeds for competitive purposes (specifically, speed windsurfing, where GPS logs were downloaded).

Consider what you _actually_ want to do with it.... took mine skiing this year, and now have to find out how to d/l the data to overlay on maps..... and lost a bet with the SO as to who rode fastest (I thought my 48mph on a board was good, but she hit 68mph on ski's...)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hamilton, thanks, measuring speed acurately will be quite important, as I also have horses and was going to use it to time their gallops (get average speed etc), so not just for skiing. Would the Foretrex be ok for this? How accurate is it distance wise etc? And where do you wear/carry it?
Thanks
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
davejsy, I use a Garmin Foretrex 101 approx £70.00, for Snowboarding, Sailing, (it has completed the Fastnet) mountain biking and even a bit of Randonee in the mountains. It measures speed, max speed, altitude etc etc etc. I would not be without it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davejsy,
The Foretrex should be fine - one of these day's I'll buy/build the d/l lead - speed seems pretty accurate (compared to car speedo and a 'speed cam' gps, the two gps units were within 1mph of each other, and proved the car speedo over-read by about 8%

the foretrex 'auto scales', picks up movement of a foot or two, has 3D (so measures altituded as well as location). I usually stick it in a pocket if skiing, mainly to stop it getting too cold.
It has a pretty robust wrist strap, and is 'immersion proof' so should cope with getting wet, although I try to avoid this.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hamilton, thanks, sounds like that will do fine.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fogliettaz, hamilton, I have just bought the Foretrex 201, I tried to figure out how to download the info onto my pc yesterday, but when plugged in the pc fails to recognise any new device, or even acknowledge it! Do I need to install a programme on my pc, before I can do this? The is basically no information in the instruction manual regards this!

Thanks,

Dave
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davejsy, I never connect mine to a pc, its is just used for distance travelled during the day, max speed, altitude, you can store each days track on the unit. Software is available for download from the Garmin website and if you do link with a pc you can overlay tracks onto Google Earth.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davejsy, I haven't used the Foretrex but most devices will need you to install the software before you plug them in, unless it's something common like a mouse or storage device.
Even if you get a DVD with the product it's usually worthwhile checking the vendor's web site to make sure you get the latest version.

HTH
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hmmm device hasn't come with any software, although it has come with a lead to connect to pc, and the instruction manual doesn't mention much at all. I've been to look on the Garmin website, and can't see any information on this, i'm going to try and phone them tomorrow I think.

thanks guys
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davejsy, there may be something to download on the Garmin web site.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I havent looked at the Foretrex but my old garmin I had to put in a USB mode to turn on the USB
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
All
Garmin have several applications for their handheld GPS units.
Something suitable for the Foretrex 201 would be here: http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=835
latest report
hamilton, thanks will take a look.
snow report
What would be the recommendation in 2009?
latest report
chrisb, I use a Suunto X9i. The X10 is out now, and is apparently even better. Battery life is the only downside I have experienced with the X9
ski holidays
Patch, thanks for the tip, i will google a search
latest report
garmin forerunner's ae also a topnotch bit of kit
latest report
I have the Garmin Foretrex 201 which I like a lot. It does all the Etrex does. The screen is easy to read and has a simple, logical user interface. The only problems with it are A) it uses an internal battery instead of AAAs - awkward on a tour and B) it's quite wide on your wrist so that it's quite common to pop the watch pins if you fall over. In fact I did exactly that this weekend while trotting down off Moel Hebog.

I'd wait around a very little while. There are a couple of new Garmins on the way - the 301 and the 401. Both use AAAs and are narrower on the wrist.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=144
snow report
chrisb,
It would depend on whether you want a 'watch' or a 'gps device'. If the latter, there are a number of _very_ small gps recorders that will simply record co-ordinates, and then get plugged into a laptop to d/l and display.
Saw one on review just the other day which was the size of a (thick) SD card, and ran for a week on a charge.... may have been called 'smart devices', but google small GPS receivers and I'm sure you'll find one.

For a GPS _watch_ - battery life is still the main issue - if you need a 'working day' (~ 8 hours), then the Garmin 'runner' watches (e.g. Forerunner 305) would be sufficient, along with the 'trek' devices such as the foretrex 201 etc. There's a Forerunner310XT which has a claimed 24 hour battery life (aimed at Ironman competitors)....
I'd _certainly_ research _real-world_ battery life for any device, if it's important to you.

I'm sure the suunto stuff is fine, but I know there have been 'connection' issues with Garmins in the past, and this may well be also an issue with Suunto - the smaller the device, the less reliable it seems to be - best to look in some of the GPS fora...
h.
latest report
Thanks for the extra advice. This all started with my wife saying she will buy it for my 40th, which is now past. Will use google some more...
snow conditions
AFAIK, the Forerunners don't actually tell you your location!!!

There's certainly no mention of grid systems and the like.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142
snow conditions
I had a Suunto x9 last year and the battery life was pretty crap when using GPS, it also took a long time to get a satelite lock, even when you had one the previous day. The fact that you could only charge it from a usb was a pain although you could make your own cable up to use a 4 AA battery to charge in the field.
In the end it went on fleabay.
A few mates use the Garmin wrist type runner gps which seems to be a good option.
ski holidays
altis wrote:
AFAIK, the Forerunners don't actually tell you your location!!!

There's certainly no mention of grid systems and the like.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142

according to the amazon page http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002EOULAE/ref=nosim/9927853-rg2506-00-21?tag=amz07b-21 it does:
Navigate with ease

The Foretrex 301 can store up to 500 waypoints and 20 routes so you can navigate from point to point and chronicle your journey as you go. The dual-position readout means you can view your current location in multiple formats, including latitude/longitude and an alternate position format of your choice so you'll always know where you are.
ski holidays
That's a ForeTREX not a ForeRUNNER.
ski holidays
altis, yes I realised. Fogliettaz and hamilton recommended the Foretrex and davejsy bought one. What I was trying to point out, poorly, was that the Foretrex did if the Forerunner didn't.

davejsy, for the dowload software. Try www.Everytrail.com to download your tracks and view on googlemaps, it recognises most Garmin devices.
I got it to work with my old Garmin GPSIII+ and a RS232 to USB converter lead from ebay and free GPS software, think it was http://www.easygps.com/default.asp.
here's one of my tracks http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=426834, I've been playing with for practice before hitting the slopes.
For skiing this time, I've just bought the £50 GPSports datalogger from Maplin mentioned here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=58162. So i'll let you know how I get on..

Blush
(EDIT I've just realised that most of this thread was written back in 2007 )
Very Happy

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 11-01-10 15:56; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've just remebered, the other free software I tried that worked quite well with my old GPSIII+ was GPS Trackmaker from http://www.gpstm.com/
This downloads direct from Garmin and Magellan GPS, and you can edit points, etc, and then export to GoogleEarth or to EveryTrail.

Very Happy
ski holidays
Just taken delivery of my running GPS, a Garmin 305 (great deal) - haven't a clue how to figure out the technology, will be calling on Daughter Dover to help.....Will bring it to ADH on the 16/1 to check if it's useful for skiing.....I'll be the Irish guy with remote control on my wrist......
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy