Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens 3 day Visit Jan 15 - 17 2007

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Day 1
Arrived Monday 15 Jan am. Conditions visably improve as you ascend the VT valley.

View from road near St Martin

St Martin or below, looks very poor. At St Martin, pistes seem complete but dark in places. Plenty of grass on display. Did not stop to test.

Les Menuires Village

Les Menuires, marked improvement but still visably in need of snow.

Val Thorens (2300m). As you approach many slopes that would normally be covered look a little bare. Pistes complete. This is the third visit, Jan 2005 from Orelle and Jan 2006 from CV1850. In comparrison with those visits, conditions look poor. However, incomparrison with lower resorts, these are excellent. (Glass half full?)
View from Hotel Bel Horizon

1/2 day pass, started at 12:30. Slopes, mostly hard packed, some in good condition though. Higher exposed slopes are v hard and need of fresh covering. Not too crowded. Lower slopes to VT are in good nick! Gloriously sunny, warm enough to ski without jacket. Sun creme and shades! That's not what we want though! Snow softened by mid afternoon. Gets very cold as sun drops or goes behind the occassional high whispy cloud.

Lunch stop

Tues\Wed - Light covering of snow forecast. Only measured in mm though.

Overall
Basically too warm to keep good snow below 1300m, in this region. Better as you go higher. Need more snow, lots of it, SOON! Overnight, piste bashers operational. Sky appears to have clouds, maybe the forecast is right!

VT, excellent choice for a guaranteed snow, last minute booking.

Edited: Forecast snow now mm not cm. Sad

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 18-01-07 5:21; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Day 2 - Tuesday 16th Jan
Pisteurs had done an excellent job overnight. Cordeuroy finish to most of the runs.
Best conditions were on the Christine piste and Tete Ronde. Although generally good most everywhere above the Caron Gondola start point.
Snow poor at 1800m (Plan De L'eau), stones. Also at base of Caron.

Getaine piste, under the Caron gondola. VT Access road in the background

View from Funitel Peclet. part way down Christine piste.

Some pistes still rather hard at altitude. Most loose snow blown away.

Day started overcast and was sunny from say 10:30 ish to past noon. By mid PM, overcast again. As of 3:00 pm no sign of any significant cloud or snow.

Worst choice of the day, getting the Moraine lift (very windy and cold), closely followed by, not realizing that the ice on just below the top the Moraine slope was in fact exposed rock!

Today seen many Les Menuires instructors and classes.

Interesting incident
Someone was squashed in the door of the Funitel Grande Fond cable car. Shocked Part of a group attempting to enter the lift past the barrier. Lift attendants on the ball, alarm bells, lift stopped. Apparently just a bit bruised, a very lucky lady indeed!

Overdone it again! Need a sauna and a rest!
TTFN

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 16-01-07 18:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Superb info. Thanks. Keep it coming. There is nothing better than on the spot reports from people who know what is what!

snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chris Bish, Quite agree --- very interesting for some of us that are going next week !!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SP1R1T, best of luck. Have a Christine for me!

snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Update with photos, some more in the snowMedia Zone.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BMF_Skier, thanks for the report. We have a visitor this coming week, arriving tomorrow, and we were wondering about a visit to Val Thorens, given that conditions here are not going to improve for some days. We don't know it at all. Which are the best areas to take a rather nervous middle aged snowblader who gets a bit of vertigo and doesn't like "edges"? Is there one of the higher areas which has nice open cruisy blues?

From the look of the weather forecast it is going to be a bit ferocious up there Thursday/Friday, but at least snow, whereas we are forecast rain at our lower altitude.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w,
Quote:
Is there one of the higher areas which has nice open cruisy blues?

Sounds like VT all round, no hesitation in recommending Val Thorens. Dont be put off by Red category, some blues can have attitude! If the weather improves, then you've also got the rest of the 3V's as well!

Quote:
From the look of the weather forecast it is going to be a bit ferocious up there Thursday/Friday

I must have missed that? From what I have been told locally, slight dusting, more of the same weather we've been experiencing for the next week. Maybe getting better after Monday \ Tuesday next week. But then, who'd be a weather forecaster!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BMF_Skier, now I'm jealous - not going to VT until Easter Evil or Very Mad Your pictures are very reminiscent of VT at the end of the season - you go climbing up the valley, which is brown all over, as you get to Les Menuires the snow patches start to get bigger then as you hit the last stretch to Val Thorens there's snow everywhere snowHead

pam w, what BMF_skier says is true - Val Thorens is all in a big bowl and there's not too many edges. The only places I'd avoid for vertigo are the Cime de Caron and heading up to the link to Orelle on the Funitel Grand Fond. You might want to check out the Funitel Peclet, the gondola does go quite high but the runs Tete Rond and Christine are fairly gentle. Genepi and Moraine are very cruisy.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Day 3 Wednesday 17th
Web forecast snow did not materialise. Cloudy start to the day, sunny, very sunny from late morning.

VT slopes standing up well, in fact excellent! Most red runs hard and fast, blues smooth and well prepared. Machines operating overnight, perfect surface achieved!

Road down the hill, snow clears quickly from the surrounding fields. Below 1800 very poor. By the time you reach St Martin, bare. South facing slopes clear. Only pisted runs appear white.

Slopes by Les Menuires, actually worse than photo shows.

Plus 8 deg temps forecast for Saturday 20th. Weather, getting colder after that, even the local forcast confirms that. I have been very fortunate to get the conditions I had. Being at 2300m helped a lot!

On to La Tania now.
Toodle pip!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 2-01-08 6:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Quote:
From the look of the weather forecast it is going to be a bit ferocious up there Thursday/Friday

I must have missed that? From what I have been told locally, slight dusting, more of the same weather we've been experiencing for the next week

When I talked about "ferocious" I was thinking about the wind today, and maybe tomorrow, which sounds like being very strong at altitude. Thanks very much for the input on Val Thorens pistes, think we'll head that way Saturday and try them out.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, in my experience pistes are relatively quiet in VT on a saturday - will have to negociate the transfer traffic in the village though...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy