Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: RussetLake and the Fitzsimmons Range (Whistler backcountry)

Poster: A snowHead
TR: Russet Lake and the Fitzsimmons Range

January 11-14 2007

just came off 4 days up at Russet Lake. Cabin had 5 - 7 people those 4 days. minus 25 at night on Thursday was coldest, with minus 15 at night on Sat night. Daytime temps were between minus 10 to minus 15.

Sizeable old cornice drops but no signs of fracture or initiated crowns at debris.

Lots of sastrugi and w/s up high. Sheltered east facing couloirs and chutes had the best skiing but even that had variable snow.

High north faces and nw faces had variable snow too with w/s and breakable crust alternating with boot top - knee deep powder

Crevasses and bergschrunds are impressively snowbridged with HS over the depth of a 320cm G3 probe on Overlord Glacier and the pocket remnants of the Fissile Glacier.

did one hasty on NW facing slope @ 2140m @ 3.30pm (-16 C, 42degree slope, HS 290,

10cm 1F
10 - 25cm WS P
35 - 120 homogenous 4F

Skied a bit with really nice crew le Machine Suisse (Alain, Raphael and Ludovic) from Lausanne who were very competent alpinists.

Also ran into Brad and Robin who lurk on TGR who were trying for a reverse Spearhead but turned back when they ran into navigation issues at Iago. Well done to those motivated two!

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
LeeLau, bloody good photos.

You lucky barsteward.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great Pics! Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I love the photos LeeLau. It looks like you had lots of walking to do though. What you need is a herd of huskies to pull you up those hills! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No huskies necessary snowy - just need the lure of big peaks, beautiful views and powder.

More here from Day 1's mellow tour getting into the hut http://www.leelau.net/2007/russetlake/russetlake070111/

snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nice one !!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Day 2 - Overlord Glacier and Overlord Mountain - click here for more http://www.leelau.net/2007/russetlake/overlord070112/

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Day 3 - click here for more:

Fissile Peak - Saddle Chute - Fissile Bowl

http://www.leelau.net/2007/russetlake/fissile070113/

latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Last day - click here for more
http://www.leelau.net/2007/russetlake/benvolio070114/

Mount Fitzsimmons - North face - Overlord Glacier

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 29-01-07 16:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
LeeLau, you were one lucky sod with the weather!!! looks stunning...best not put any more photos up tho otherwise flights to Canada will go through the roof next year wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beautiful shots - 4 and 5 are excellent
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all. It's not often that you get a sustained bout of January high-pressure. It was cold but clear for 5 days.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
LeeLau,

Great pics !

What set-up are you both using? Dynastar 8800 & Tankers with freerides?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB - I used 180 Kneissl Tankers with Freerides - heavy but necessary for the variable conditions.

Jon used 188 Dynastar Legend Pros with Freeride Pluses.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
LeeLau wrote:
DB - I used 180 Kneissl Tankers with Freerides -
heavy but necessary for the variable conditions.

Must admit I've seen lighter set-ups but conditions did look mixed from wind blown crust to powder. I find it's all relative - it's not how heavy your setup is but how fit your touring ski buddies are in comparison to you.

When first reading the altitude graph (from one of the links) I read off the heart beat scale.
Was impressed that you could keep your heart rate over 200 BPM for so long. Embarassed snowHead
ski holidays
DB wrote:
LeeLau wrote:
DB - I used 180 Kneissl Tankers with Freerides -
heavy but necessary for the variable conditions.

Must admit I've seen lighter set-ups but conditions did look mixed from wind blown crust to powder. I find it's all relative - it's not how heavy your setup is but how fit your touring ski buddies are in comparison to you.

When first reading the altitude graph (from one of the links) I read off the heart beat scale.
Was impressed that you could keep your heart rate over 200 BPM for so long. Embarassed snowHead

ha - I don't pack the HRM anymore. It's too much hassle.

I have a couple of Dynafit setups and a light Fritschi setup when I'm doing big days. Those weren't really big days. There's not enough light in January in Canada to really put in long days (unless you're in Revelstoke or you're Greg Hill.)
snow conditions
LeeLau, ........ really great posts & photos ......

- this area is on my priority list for a couple of years & I am very impressed with your weblink

I am seriously looking to put in a season there - maybe 2008/2009 and this is really great info.

How often do you tour there.....?

....hope your 'hut' is anchored down ...... it looks as if it could fly.....!

Any ideas on the origins of the names Overlord glacier & mountain .....?

Have they any connection to the 1944 invasion of Europe ...?
ski holidays
Bernard - good question. I dont know the origin of the name.
These mountains are part of a chain that's done often as a three day traverse called the Spearhead Traverse. Its done also in one day - see here by my wife http://www.leelau.net/2006/spearheadmar1206/spearheadtraversemar1206.htm

My plan would be too do a multi day and camp at places. I would climb and ski peaks from those places. When you get closer to planning let me know - check out Whistler alpine guides bureau too for guided trips there
snow report
.......LeeLau, ...... now THAT'S what I call a day out......!

I will PM when the time approaches - I am in France this season and probably next season also

but that may change.....! Do you ski in Europe? - we are looking forward to meeting up with SSH,

this April.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy