Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

lifts and falls practice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello. I'm off for my third excursion into the world of skiing mid february. Thing is, two months ago I broke my left arm and I'm a bit concerned that it's nowhere near right yet and progress is slowing down. I have very little strength in it and am still quite restricted with some movement.

I was wondering what (if anything) I can do to help prepare better for all I'll need to do on holiday. Particularly worried about not being able to tackle drag lifts, carry my skis or get myself up when I fall over.

Thought about trying a dry slope (there's one not far from me I believe) just to practice getting boots on and stuff, would anyone reckon it might be worth it or might I just end up completely demoralised by the difference with whatever surface it is and the snow?

(I am assuming my holiday will contain snow, ever the optimist! Smile)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kittya, Welcome to snowHead I've (luckily) never broken a bone but two months doesn't seem very long ago. Have you had physio? If not, perhaps look into it and ask about exercises that will strengthen your arm. The dry slope surface IS very different from snow, but as to whether it would help or hinder, I'm not sure. Practice getting your boots fastened won't harm though, but I would say the big thing is physio. Hope it works out OK Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd leave out the dry slope if I were you - you'd be gutted if you hurt your arm on that. The few weeks between now and mid Fed might be long enough to see your arm quite a bit better. You'll be able to get help with boots and getting up won't you? And if you make a gash job of the drag lift then they'll stop it for you to grab it anyway.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kittya, welcome to snowHead s.
What sort of break (which bones) did you have, what sort of treatment have you had since? (plaster, operation, physio).

If you have a dodgey arm I would certainly not recommend a fall onto a hard surface (such as a dry slope!) though it might be good functional physio for you to take your boots on and off - it also might get you increasingly excited about your forthcoming holiday;-).

I would agree with Anniepen's, view that 2 months is not a long time.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies. I've only ever broken legs before and I was a child then, so have no real memory of how long these things take, but I was expecting to be a bit further on than this. The broken bone was caused by a fall on ice Smile technically the elbow (radial head), treatment has been early mobility, no cast. Had my first physio session last week, been doing 3-4 times daily exercises for mobility, due again tomorrow to check progress and hopefully start on some stregthening exercises from there. Okay, I'll get the dry slope idea out of my head.

Nick L I'm already stupidly excited, but getting increasingly worried, ah well Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nick L, said
Quote:

I would agree with Anniepen's, view that 2 months is not a long time.

So would I. You have presumably been in plaster and muscles waste very quickly. Get immediate expert physio advice (pay if you have to, it will be well worth it) and do the exercises religiously; it will improve a huge amount in a month if you do the right things. Telephone the physio beforehand, explain the background, and that you want to get advice on the best way to strengthen your arm for skiing. Go to a physio who sounds enthusiastic, preferably a skier or at any rate a sports physio. DON'T go to a dry slope, and maybe leave putting boots on for a few weeks too. You can grab a button lift on your left with your right hand (as goofy snowboarders have to) and you don't actually need to do much with your arm once you get going; let the lift do the work.

Have a great holiday, and welcome to snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
it will be ok, no problem, two fit legs are all you need, just try to stay on your legs and save your arms ! wink wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I went skiing 6 months after breaking my collar-bone. No problem with the skiing or falling over but getting back on my feet again after taking a tumble was a bit of a struggle.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kittya, radial head fractures are normally treated as you describe - early mobilisation.
pam w's suggestion of a Sports Injury Physio is the way forward. Sorry I don't know anyone suitable in Manchester.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy