Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort Advice- Want somewhere with trees!

Poster: A snowHead
hi

after a good week in st anton we felt it wasnt quite the right sort of place that we wanted in the future. i quite like skiing down less crowded runs and in through trees etc, making it a bit more intersting rather than wide open mountainsides,

does any resort exist where there are lots of nice routes going through trees etc? any ideas would b great thanks.

nick
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zell am See has a couple.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nick_yates9, pick the time right when the snow begins to fall again and head for Circuit de Roc D'Enfer, La Grande Terche near Morzine. Tree lined and one of the longest runs I believe.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you want a good choice of resorts and reliable snowfall I'd look at North America.
There are plenty of places in Europe with some trees (eg La Tania, Courmayeur, Les Houches, Megeve, Les Arcs, Verbier, La Thuile, plus loads in Swiss and Austrian alps) I think, but trees tend to be lower down the mountain and therefore snow reliability is likely to be inferior.
Also, the tree line in North America tends to be much higher up so you can ride from top to bottom surrounded by trees rather than just the bottom third of the mountain. They also thin out the trees in places allowing for some great off-piste riding through the woods on snowy days. I've only been to Lake Tahoe in the US but most of the resorts in the area had great tree skiing - I believe this is typical of most resorts in Canada and US.
Having said all that, last year I really enjoyed finding powder in the woods at Courmayeur several days after the last storm...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
imho the best gladed skiing in colorado is at steamboat.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cheers for the advice guys. loads of places to check out there. i thought america n canada would be the places to check out having been to whistler in the summer. id love to go there but guess it will be fairly expensive.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nick_yates9, you can't have the sort (realtively) cheap sking hol in N.America that you can have in, say, France, by renting a rabbit hutch, but if you want good quality accomodation, and especially if you want 2 weeks +, NA is pretty fair value for money compared with Europe.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 15-01-07 15:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nick_yates9, serre chevalier has the largest larch forest in Europe.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nick_yates9, Epping Forest
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
In Italy:
Madesimo has a lot of tree lined runs, but small village and ski area is a bit limited. English speaking staff is a bit limited and the Apres and shopping are quiet
Livigno is quite good too 115km of runs and pretty snow sure, very scenic village and great night life
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nick_yates9, Les Carroz, lovely tree lined runs everywhere snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
richmond, yeh, when im earning proper money i will definitely head out to N america for a couple of weeks. sure it will be good value and an amazing holiday. just temporarily am a bit poor as im still at uni so spare cash is hard to come by! cheers for all the good suggestions. when ive got this disseration out of the way ill go and check them out! that Epping Forest place sounds like just the place im after.................. Shock
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
of the resorts I've vistited. Serre chevalier seemed to have the most tree lined runs. Courchel has a reasonable amount of tree line skiing down to Le Praz and La Tania. also some tree line skiing down to meribel.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
can i recommend Tignes or La Plagne? wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I seem to remember being told once that as a rule the trees in the Alps tend to grow up to the 1800m or so mark. Afterthat things thin out quite quickly.

So if true, I guess resorts where there are runs at/below that altitude will be tree lined. Smile
snow report
Helen Beaumont, really? I never knew that.

And now for something completely different .......................... etc.
snow conditions
I like skiing on tree-lined runs but as some of the others say it is snow dependant as trees don't grow at altitude. I can't really bear resorts based entirely above the tree line!! Also in poor weather tree lined runs become essential and I have known higher resorts to close due to winds/ poor weather so its all swings and roundabouts and a mix of the two is best!!! . Just been to les coches and I would say les arcs has some reasonable tree lined runs that were in fairly good condition even in this present poor snow climate!!!!

Think US and parts of canada do tree -lined skiing best !!!!
snow conditions
Killington, in the Eastern US, has good top-to-bottom tree skiing. Highly recommended.

Les Arcs, in France, and Saalbach, in Austria, also have plenty of gladed slopes.
latest report
Megève is good for trees. I also agree with gryphea that in some conditions (high winds or poor visibility) resorts with plenty of runs below the tree-line are best. Of course, it's fun to ski through the woods as well (but aim for the gaps!).
latest report
nick_yates9 wrote:
hi
i quite like skiing down less crowded runs and in through trees etc, making it a bit more intersting rather than wide open mountainsides
nick

me too, that's why I go to Canada Smile
and the snow is more reliable too
snow conditions
tomski01, i went to la plagne firts time i ever skiied. i cant remember that much about it as it was a few years ago!

oh i want to go skiing again now.
snow report
Les Arcs has some nice tree-lined runs.
latest report
Down to Vallandry and Peisey in Les Arcs are particularly good tree lined runs.

Would thoroughly recommend Steamboat in Colorado for US tree skiing, especially in the back bowl, lots of in area off piste
snow conditions
Morzine is well treed up......if there is any snow
ski holidays
courcheval 1550, la tania. La praz have nice blue runs through the tress and a run called indians for the kids...
latest report
nick_yates9, just in case you thought otherwise i was joking!! La Plagne (the upper part anyway) is certianly not renound for its gladed skiing wink

great place tho, and it depends upon what stage of the season you ski, sometimes height and the use of a glacier can be more important in the spring (when the tree lined resorts probably get a little warm).
ski holidays
tomski01, I was wondering about La Plagne too! I went there once and found it was possibly the most featureless ski resort in the world. There happened to be some great off-piste powder at the time, which redeamed it somewhat, but overall the resort was pants.
snow report
In Europe in general the tree line gets higher and the snow line lower as you go east, so you are more likely to find tree skiing in Austria than France,
Les Arcs itself doesn't have that much tree skiing but, as Boris says, Peisey which is linked to it does.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nick_yates9, There is a lot of tree skiing in Kapoanik, Bled and Kransjka Gora
snow conditions
Loads of trees in Puy st Vincent
latest report
Head over to Bad Gastein - that's the Eastern Alps. The area has alot of tree lined runs, particularly Graukogel and Angertal.

Graukogel personally gets my vote. It's small but the whole area is in the trees and because it's remote from the rest of the resort, it's dead quiet!! Lovely!! snowHead

Angertal is similar but it's much busier.

Take a look.

Kersh
snow report
We went to St Johann in Tirol, Austria last year, this is small resort with the runs all coming down the Kitzhuhler Horn (sp.) but pretty much from the top ALL the pistes are tree lined. The downside of the resort is that it isn't massive, the town is nice with a few bars. Also due to a low altitude it isn't as snow sure as others (currently pathetic snow coverage), but I think that's why you get the trees in the first place.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy