Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Did you see that filmed Lauberhorn run?

Poster: A snowHead
I've just watched Bell come down the Lauberhorn, heaven knows how he managed it carrying a camcorder and adding a running commentary as he came down. He went far faster than the boarder too.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think the amazing thing was his top speed of about 126 kph with camera, one pole and normal gear, when the top racers clocked about 144 kph.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That is one very scary run. I can't wait to try it! Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It was very good but the need snow ASAP
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Someone on here will know - I've watched the ski racing for years, but have never known: when they go over a jump on a course do they go faster if they spend longer in the air and end up further down the course, or faster if they land quicker and cover more ground on their ski's, also what goes faster and why, ski's or snowboards?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum,

Faster with skis in contact with snow..they will try and squash the jumps.
Although in practice, they often have a little competition on who can get best air time.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Easier to hold a tuck on snow than in the air.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers guys, I knew this was the place to ask - just one of those things that has knocked round in my brain for years.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum wrote:
I've just watched Bell come down the Lauberhorn, heaven knows how he managed it carrying a camcorder and adding a running commentary as he came down. He went far faster than the boarder too.

ah but the boarder probably stopped for a spliff. Eh oh!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
An incredible run, the view down from the top of that jump was awesome
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kosciosco, it's even better when you do the run yourself, though it has to be said an awful lot of people chicken out and try to sideslip on both the hundschopf and zielschuss
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Both are skiable....you just have to go for it!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can non-pro racers have a go on it then? one or two of you sound like you are talking from personal experience?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
it's a normal piste for the rest of the season.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, once the race has been run, for the rest of the season it is "just a normal piste". So yes, anyone can have a go......but at more genteel speeds
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, Mmm....think I might leave it a few more years yet!!
latest report
There are several sections of the course that are easy.....and other bits that aren't!!
snow report
Megamum, Most of it is no problem at low speed, its the jump and the finish area that can be a problem at any speed
snow report
I am curious about the speed in a jump vs speed on snow thing; I believe that staying on the snow is faster, because everyone says it is (it's what I've always heard), and it's relatively easily to find out empirically. However, I'm puzzled that a skier is faster when there is ski/snow friction than when there isn't; there's always air resistance. Is it because the aerial route is longer or because speed is lost on the landing, because it's at an unfavourable angle, or for some other reason?
snow conditions
richmond, When you are in the air the skis slow you down, like a air brake
latest report
Look at the aerodynamics of body position for a start, it's not very often you see a flying skier in a full tuck.
latest report
When they're doing the actual ski jumping they tend to flatten out, but I guess this to increase the time they spend in the air, rather than for speed - almost as though they try to turn into an aerofoil. I suppose the racers need to maintain some sort of tuck in the air so that when they touch down they are still in a position to go fast straight away. richmond, Yes, your argument was at the root of my question too.
snow report
Megamum, I did it first from top to bottom aged 8 or 9 (probably Cool but I'd done most of the sections in previous years, the exception was a short stretch from just above wengeneralp station to the top of the bumps lift, this used to be part of the sledge run and so was rarely skiable, now however they've changed the sledge route so that you can do the whole of the race track.

My first time down in full I took 9 minutes which I think is pretty good for an 8 year old (in fact these days I'd probably be slower over the run but faster on certain sections)

In realistic terms 2/3rds of the course is probably equivalent to a mild red run, 1/4 is a hard red run and the remaining bit is Black, what makes it harder is that the course is often rock hard and therefore very fast. There are only two difficult spots, the Hundschopf which is a short jump above Wengeneralp station followed by a sharp right turn so as not to land on the railway line (many people sideslip instead of jumping) and the zielschuss or finishing schuss here the safest thing is to go straight down the slope which from the top looks to be verticle but is less than 40 degrees, it's safest to straight run it because theres a good run out area at the bottom, trying to turn on it is like trying to turn on a steeply sloping ice rink Skullie
ski holidays
Megamum,

Very few are capable of skiing a World cup run. The speeds are too quick, the forces too great in the turns and you couldn't get more than a few hundred mtrs down if you tried to straight line it. Recreational skiers main concern would be how do I slow down, whereas racers concern is where I can be faster than the other guy.
snow conditions
When I was working there and we were preparing the course, one Kiwi instructor thought it wasn't that bad. He hid at the top until everyone had gone and then tried it (the fences had been put up by then). Well he eventually walked into the Eiger at around 21.00 completely (literally) green. He frighened himself so badly that he couldn't walk back up from Inner Wengen (it was too late for the lift). It took him more than 2 hours!! He wasn't a bad skier either, but he never slagged off downhillers again. Shocked
snow conditions
Is anyone in wengen at the moment? i'm going next saturday, and was hpoing to have an accurate description of the snow depths and conditions, is it possible so ski down to grund? from the tv shots it all looks like the last few days of spring. Puzzled
snow report
alan price, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

If you go to the resorts section, there is a thread called Jungfrau ski region. That gets updated mast days by one of our Wengen snowHeads
snow report
alan price,

I'm in Engelberg with some other snowHead next week, just around the corner on the map, the temps could do with being lower but otherwise it looks not too bad from the Cams. And as most of the skiing is above 2000m I think that will be ok... it's only the 4 o' clock run that might be a problem..

One good thing about Wengen, its North facing and pasture, I think.

RE, World Cup run, I've sneaked onto the OK course after a Europa race. This is considered a wimpy GS type course by racers. Went so fast from the starting hut, I couldn't stop so took an almighty wipe-out. I'd be better equipped to stop now but I'd leave well alone.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, Is it the ice on these courses that make them so difficult? There were lots of wipe outs yesterday, when you see that you appreciate the difficulty.
ski holidays
I think Bell's heart rate was over 180bpm at one point Shocked

I thought the race with the train at the start was pretty good - must have scraped the skis and board a fair bit though.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 15-01-07 15:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Has anyone got a video of it that they can post up? I 'aven't seen it!
ski holidays
Hayls, I wonder was his heart rate high from fear or exertion?

I liked the way Bell managed to cross the railway line at the end, I think some of the locals weren't sure what was going on.

It was funny when Ed Leigh (is that his name?) went down the downhill track, just shows what a challenge it is when he didn't fancy it at all.
snow report
Mind you although it looked good, he did get flipping close to the train at some points - looked a bit too dangerous (proximity wise) in places. B.t.w. I'm only kidding about skiing it in a few years - me, I don't ever expect to get off 'Blue'!!
ski holidays
I took friends of mine onto parts of the Lauberhorn run at the end of their first ever full days skiing on snow, but the conditions were excellent and we did not go onto the harder sections of the course, I did so because nominally the whole race track is a black run and I wanted them to have gone down an easy black to boost their confidence when I later took them onto harder reds, it worked as well
latest report
Racing the train was a farce......you'd have to be very slow for the train to beat you!!
latest report
looked a bit like the 'top gear' challenges that they do, they always just arrive within moments of each other.... coincidence?
snow report
petemillis wrote:
Has anyone got a video of it that they can post up? I 'aven't seen it!

Just recorded it off my Sky+ for you, but it's a 72Mb MPEG file, not sure how long that'll take me to upload rolling eyes
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, when due to avalanches several years ago they made a mini piste and a temporary platform at a location near the smelly cowshed below the site of the cafe oberland I found myself getting the train up from the village then getting off and beating it back down to the station, the hardest thing was was getting the skis off and running down from the end of the piste at the Caprice hotel to the station wink
latest report
That was one of the best races i've seen in ages. About 4 skiers crossed the finish line on their backs
Shocked

We went to see the Hannenkahmm last year in Kitzbuhel and tried to ski the run a few days after the race. I have total respect for what those guys n gals can do. My next race has to be the Lauberhorn.
snow conditions
Does any one know where i can get a copy of the film as i missed it on sunday?? sounds like it was a good show
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy