Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Jackets - Cheaper in Whistler or in UK?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all!

Not long now till I head back over to Whistler for the first time in 5 Years!

I want to buy myself a new ski jacket for the occasion, but does anyone know if they are cheaper over there or here?

I remember from before that I saved myself a few pounds by buying there, but times change...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I found Whistler expensive compared to the UK for ski gear. Being a big commercial ski resort with tons of tourists, they mark up the prices to suit. Unless you have time to go shopping in Vancouver, I'd buy in the UK.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The exchange rate is quite good at the moment. You can get tax back at the airport too.

If you take lessons, the instructor have discount cards for use in the IntraWest/Fortress shops such as Can-Ski.

Don't expect the ski clothes to be cheap even after all the discounts though.

UK is your best bet, like uktrailmonster said. There seems to be more choice over here anyway.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys.

Snow & Rock and Ellis Brigham seem to be the biggest over here. Any other suggestions?

Incedently does anyone have a recommendations for jackets? Want to spend about £200-250ish. Good level of waterproofing is essential as Whistler can tend to be rather damp...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
weirdonorskie, jackets were all reduced in the end of season sale when we were there, then you got your tax back, so they were cheaper. Make sure you keep all the right receipts, and take them all to the desk in the airport to be stamped, or you won't be able to claim your refund. Not sure, but we may have needed to enclose a boarding card to claim back the tax too (you send off you receipts and get your refund by post whan you get home). They weren't as expensive as Snow and Rock.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thailand is really cheap, honest, I used to live there and found an outlet that sold genuine Northface, Columbia ? etc. There is some rule that if a company manufactures in a Thailand then they must also sell there, so they have a shop that no one knows about, unless you are in the know so to speak. Was out there over NY and picked up a couple of North Face gortex with fleeces for £60 each ! Do it every time I go there and got quite a collection of jackets now !
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rayscoops, so just need to factor in the cost of a trip to Thailand then!

Helen Beaumont, They also have end of season sales in the UK so that's not a fair comparison
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
weirdonorskie wrote:
Thanks guys.
Incedently does anyone have a recommendations for jackets? Want to spend about £200-250ish. Good level of waterproofing is essential as Whistler can tend to be rather damp...

Gore-tex XCR for Whistler!

There are other materials such as those DNA use which are good, but then they can be a bit leaky around the zips.

I used to have all sorts of jackets but the spray on waterproofing just couldn't contend with the wet snow falling. They ultimately ended up soaking up all the water and doubling in weight. I think I must have spent as much money avoiding buying gore-tex on several outfits, as I eventually did buying gore-tex.

Arcteryx is really good for lasting many years. It's sooo expensive though. It's a BC company so they built the gear to match the weather. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Actually, there's a shop called Comor on the Village Stroll in Whistler who seem to have a permanent sale on (opposite the Brewhouse).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Last month we were over there and I felt, on balance, that things did work out marginally cheaper but the savings weren't astronomical and what savings could be made were largely due to the exchange rate.

My wife and I both bought skis & poles and I reckon we saved around 5% or so when comparing the prices to UK online prices. The main benefit for us was that a) you could see/try things as opposed to buying them 'blind' on-line in the UK, b) there was a far larger selection to choose from and c) there was a good range of opinion/advice in the shops. I'm sure all these are to be had in the UK somewhere but you would end up paying more - either in petrol costs driving around a number of shops or due to buying from a bricks & mortar shop rather than on-line (in both cases the savings would obviously become more significant).

Just my opinion....

JenkinsDH

[Edited for spelling]
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JenkinsDH wrote:

a) you could see/try things as opposed to buying them 'blind' on-line in the UK,

That's why I would now always buy skis and boots in resort. Also for boots you get them fitted and tweaked while you're there.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
weirdonorskie, Sharon got her Jacket last year cheaper in Whistler than the UK by about £20. Mine was also a little cheaper.
Though in general the difference we found was to do with the exchange rates.
Also I thought the selection was better
rob
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy