Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche Shovel Question

Poster: A snowHead
I am looking for an avalanche shovel that will fit into my Dakine HeliPro backpack (the largeer model). I was going to wait until I was in a resort to try to find one that fit, etc., but having one now would be pretty convienent for digging the snow off my car. If anyone has any recommendations of a good shovel (only for rescue, not for building any jumps, etc.) that would fit in my bag, I would appreciate it. Otherwise, I will just wait and try some in resort.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They'll all pretty much fit in your pack. Avoid one with a plastic blade as avalanche debris can be pretty solid and NEVER put the handle on the outside of your pack.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
parlor wrote:
... and NEVER put the handle on the outside of your pack.
Just being curious, but why? I have seen lots of people doing this. Some of the smaller packs only allow the blade and the handle to be attached on the outside of the bag.

I rather like the look and feel of [url=http://www.ellis-brigham.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/222533||shovel]this shovel[/url] as the handle stays attached to the blade all the time so no chance of losing half a shovel. The sides of the blade seemed sharp and rough and so may need padding or something to prevent damage to other soft stuff in your pack.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Adrian, just a locals thing really, you can always spot a punter by the gear on the outside of their packs. To be fair, you really have to have some handles / blades on the outside of some packs but if you can, avoid it, and not just because you look like a plonker. The webbing on those packs isn't very secure and you may as well not be carrying the gear if you loose half of it. A friend of mine lost a handle from a Dakine Heli Pro, he's convinced it was stolen while on a packed cable car, I suspect he lost it while on the hill. The linked shovel you show looks pretty good, I hope you never need to use it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jml,

Ortovox Expert or Alu Pro fit Dakine packs pretty well. And when I had a Dakine pack I never lost the handle when fitted properly outside
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks, parlor, for the info. My own shovel is an Ortovox with a red plastic blade and I am happy to report that I have never used it in anger. Although I have used it to bury and dig out a transceiver during practice. Had a look at the Black Diamond shovel in a resort shop and later had a play (indoors) with one that someone had just purchased.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I got one of the BCA models that stores the probe inside the handle and the blade fits in my dakine helipro pack quite easily. May not be the Professionals choice but for occasional off piste use seemed to be a good compact solution.

got it at Snow and Rock http://www.snowandrock.com/shop/activity/ski/equipment/back_country_avalanche/products/BCA0002.htm but it was £50 in the summer not the £75 they want now and although havent carried it yet it came in handy shoveling my apartment steps.!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone, Adrian, I am going to try the new one with the handle that slides in. I will let everyone know how well it works.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was looking at the prices on Snow and Rock and it seems that avalanche equipment is a bit cheaper over here in the USA. So, I guess I should go ahead and by a probe at the same time. It looks like most are either 200 or 300 cm in length, is there a preferred lenght for someone whose off piste is mostly with a guide? The weight difference doesn't seem to be that great, so am I better off just getting the longer one? What about the material it is made out of? Thanks a lot for your help.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jml, everything sporting goods related is cheaper in the states..
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd go for a mid or long length - the short one may just errrr fall short Embarassed
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jml,

How big is your pack? Most probes are between 33cm and 40 cms collpapsed. Make sure the one you are after fits your carrier. There will be a weight consideration as well, carbon or alu. Anyone buried more than 2 mtrs .....hmmmnnn... you'll probably be finding a body
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jml wrote:
Thanks everyone, Adrian, I am going to try the new one with the handle that slides in. I will let everyone know how well it works.

Hopefully you will never have to use it!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think that the Heli Pro pack is slightly different this year. My shovel handle fits on it very securely.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I got a snowclaw for a Christmas present.
latest report
Tomsk, I found a couple of good comments on this piece of kit.

This was posted by the inventor of the Snowclaw......

<Regarding the SnowClaw-

In response to some questions that have been emailed to me regarding this thread, I would like to respond with some information that some may find useful.

First, I want to point out that I am the inventor of the SnowClaw. While I do not in anyway claim to be an expert in any capacity, I do have a very good knowledge of what the SnowClaw will and will not do.

I have used it in countless avalanche debris fields, dug way too many snow caves and most important, over the past years, received tremendous feedback due to tens-of-thousands of people worldwide, who have been using the SnowClaw in real-life situations.

I would like to provide some information, as well as perspective.

I designed the SnowClaw first and foremost for the people who go into the backcountry every year without an emergency shovel of any kind. Their choice is usually due to the cost, weight, or bulkiness of traditional BC shovels.

You, who are reading this, will probably rarely ever see these people because they don't go where most of you go. They are usually the weekend warrior and don't skin to the sweet stash in the advanced terrain. But snowshoe casually or snowmobile. Never the less, they should carry a shovel. And they are who the SnowClaw was primarily designed for.

That said, the SnowClaw is an incredibly useful and versatile tool. It makes a great emergency splint, can be used as a dead man anchor and many other uses. More important, it works extremely well as a shovel in most snow conditions. And yes, in many cases better than a traditional BC shovel. However, like any tool, it has it's pros and cons.

In soft snow, the SnowClaw can move much more snow, easier and faster than any shovel on the market. It's also much lighter, easier to pack and less expensive than any other shovel. However, in icy snow, a traditional shovel would be a better choice. Common sense should always rule. But unless you have used the SnowClaw, you can't know how well it will, or will not work. Mechanically, it functions very different than a traditional shovel.

In regards to avalanche debris, it's a very controversial topic when it comes to the SnowClaw. And I do understand all perspectives, believe me, I have heard them all.

First, the only type avalanche I'm concerned about is one someone may likely survive the actual trauma of the slide (in my opinion, a massive slab avy is rarely going to produce a potential rescue, but a body recovery instead, so the rescue shovel is irrelevant). Also the rescue must be within the first 15-30 minutes (as you may know, in a fresh avy the debris is much softer than after it has refrozen. And refrozen is what most people actually experience and test in).

My perspective comes from extensive testing in avy debris, interviews and studying a lot of actual avalanche rescue footage. Footage that until recently, has been very limited. But due to snowmobilers constantly filming their buddies "high-marking" and getting caught in avalanches, by far more actual rescues can be seen today than even just a few years ago.

I have noticed that all of these avalanches were very compressed (the victim can't move a muscle), but none have been the "concrete" that absolutely everyone automatically chants. In all of the footage I have seen, and in all of my testing in fresh slides, the SnowClaw would work and does work very well.

Also note, that while being in the industry, I have found that there are a very small percentage of avalanche victims that actually report their event. By far most victims were only buried a couple of feet, rescued by their buddies (alive) and didn't report it to anyone official. So you probably only hear about the worst case scenario and don't hear about the much more common situations.

I believe that everyone going into the backcountry makes countless compromises in many aspects. It's part of the deal. I also firmly believe that each person must realize the pros and cons of their actions and their gear and decide what is best suited for them and the situation they may encounter.

The SnowClaw is a great tool in a lot of cases, for a lot of people. And in fact, puts a shovel in the hands of thousands of people who would not otherwise have one.

I hope this helps with a constructive discussion and thanks for your time.>
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy