Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Banff/Lake Louise - Where to stay and where to get married?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

My progress to marraige (on skis of course!) is documented on here already:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=10349

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=20842

We have now settled on Lake Louise. Can anyone recommend any accomodation and also anywhere where we could have the ceromony?

We have persuaded our families to join us (ages 7 - 65, group size 10-12) so we are trying to find somewhere for them (and us!) to stay which offers the 3 non-skiers something to do, and is suitable for the kids (first time) and experts alike! We like the look of the Fairmount Chateau but although we would be happy to pay for this (Its a special occassion!) the rest of the group, especially with kids, would prefer something a little more reasonable and more relaxed maybe.

We also want to do a Christmas wedding (Nephews out of school then!) but are we taking risks with the snow then, or (as we are going to all this expense) should we wait until February half term? Christmas seems great idea, but I have just done a christmas of rock hopping in Courchevel! I know Canada is a different beast, but is it better to wait til Feb for the best chance of great conditions?

Thanks for any help, you have come to the rescue before Smile

ScottyDog
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
scottydog, I would stay at Banff Springs if I were you, I preferred it to Chateau Lake Louise, although the views of the Lake at Louise are fab. If you choose Bannf, there's more choice of cheaper accommodation close by too. Fellow SnowHeads Mr and Mrs Johnboy spent their honeymoon over there, and stayed at Sunshine Lodge on Sunshine mountain for a few days. Could you arrange a dogsledding excursion and get married there, or only on skis? In which case, you'll have to have the wedding breakfast at Sawyers Nook on LL mountain, the best mountain lunch in the area. Good luck with it!!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
At The Chateau, of course!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Second vote for Banff = Banff Springs for you, other hotels are more relaxed and family orientated for others. Xmas itself isn't really peak season there either. Plenty of snow this year but I have been rockhopping at Louise in January in the past - so I would never 100% guarantee anything.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
scottydog, Do I understand you correctly? Do you plan on having the actual ceremony right on on the piste, or in a hotel or a church/chapel in a ski resort?
If the second option applies then the nicest hotel in LL is the Chataeu. The Inn at Lake Louise, which is a short car ride away is less expensive and might be suitable for some of your guests. The problem is that for non-skiers there's not much to do in LL.
If you're not commited to LL I would definately consider The Banf Springs Hotel. They have a choice of various rooms for the ceremony and their catering is excellent. It's a popular spot for weddings and the photographs of the wedding party standing in the snow in front of the frozen Bow Falls would be something to treasure for ever.
Look at: http://www.fairmont.com/banffsprings and find the page for WEDDING. It gives a desciption and a guide to prices.
Another plus for opting for Banff is the choice of accommodation to suit all budgets and the many shops, bars, restaurants and coach tours that will keep your non-skiers occupied.
Let us know what you decide. I try to get to Banff each year and if I'm there I'll come and throw some rice.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
scottydog, I agree with OverTheHill, there isn't much for non-skiers to do at LL. The Chataeu is definately th place to stay if you do go for it but as mentioned above, the rest of the group might prefer The Inn. In the evenings there is NOTHING to do. The views of the lake are stunning from the chataeu and the place isn't as "posh" as you might think. There is a bar in the basement that serves food and has a nice relaxed atmosphere but the restaurants in the hotel are quite pricey.
Although the Chataeu would be a great place to get hitched, Banff is the better group option IMO. There is much more choice for all aspects of the trip
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the great info, please keep it coming!

Based on your help we are now thinking 7 days all together in Banff, have the ceremony, and then the new Mrs ScottyDog and I stay at the Chateau for a few days to ourselves.

We have 2 dates in mind now. Ms ScottyDog wants a Christmas wedding so 22nd-1st December but we both have worries about going all this way for poor snow, so our second date is 15th-25th February (Have to consider half term for nephews!) so any opinions on this also welcome.

Want to make it a special event (like the torchlit engagement) so thanks for all the ideas!!!

ScottyDog
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
scottydog, Sunshine Village (closer to Banff than LL) will be fine for snow at Dec, LL might be a bit ropey then. Sunshine is right on the Continental Divide & gets very good snowfall, so much so that they boast they have no snow-making facilities snowHead

If you were staying at LL I'd say go in Feb but if you're in Banff, Christmas will be good. Bear in mind the slopes are a bus ride (or car drive) away but it is a very well-organised efficient and comfortable service.

Let us know how you get on.... Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
scottydog, just looked at the historical average snow depths for Sunshine and LL since 1993

for the last week in December

Sunshine: 87/125 cms
Lake Louise: 65/104

and for mid Feb:

Sunshine: 139/193
LL: 93/157

HTH snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Chateau LL is not that great. In LL the LL Post Hotel is a better bet and the Deer Lodge s very civilised. The Banff Springs is a great place, but not exactly in LL.

For the rest of the party, in LL the LL Inn is reasonably priced and comfortable, and in Banff there are loads of places at all prices.

I'd get married in a Registry Office in UK, since you ask.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
scottydog, I've been to LL and Banff 4 times, though always in summer.

Either would be fantastic to get married in, though I think you've got it right with the group thing in Banff followed by taking yourself off to CLL for some romantic time.

Some random thoughts:
1. We honeymooned in various hotels across canada including the CLL and 1 other Fairmont. In both Fairmonts we mentioned we were honeymooning and got upgrades & free champagne. So dont be too shy to drop this in!
2. If you're going to stay at the CLL, splash out on a decent room (though you could take a chance with an upgrade). It seems a shame to go all that way and get a mountainview room. The basic fairmont lakeviews are small, if I were you I'd go for a deluxe lakeview (which gives you a good chance for a suite upgrade). The deluxe lakeviews are in a new wing so very well appointed although the view can be partially obscured.
3. If you get a decent room (we were upgraded from a small room to a suite on honeymoon) I'd agree with richmond that it's not that great - it's effing fantastic!!!
4. Apologies for not reading your other threads to see exactly what you're looking for but if a beautiful & luxurious wilderness escape floats your honeymoon boat, also have a look at the Emerald Lake Lodge.
5. I'm sure your family and friends will love Banff. I've never stayed at the Fairmont there but the chain seem to have a corporate honeymoon friendly policy. My personal favourite in Banff is the Buffalo Mountain Lodge up Tunnel Mountain. This should be a bit cheaper than the Fairmont for other guests and no-one should be disappointed here.

It will be awesome, look forward to hearing how it goes. Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have heard that the Post Hotel is better than CLL - but the CLL has the location in it's favour, especially for a wedding. The lake setting is very romantic and you can do romantic stuff like a horse-drawn sleigh ride across the lake... Imho a much more suitable location for a wedding than Banff, but it depends what you are looking for.

We found the CLL to be very relaxed and it has plenty of restaurants/bars/lounges inside the hotel. They seemed to be able to organise non-skiing activities as well.

Be warned that Xmas can be very cold in Canada - it was -25C during our Xmas week there and the week before that it went down to -40C.

I agree on the post above - some of the rooms in CLL are small. Although we had a lake view, the room was tiny, but very comfortable...

Good luck with whatever you choose, but before you book the hotel take a look at the Trip Advisor website : http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g154912-Lake_Louise_Banff_National_Park_Alberta-Hotels.html
We never book a hotel without reading the reviews first, as they seem to be pretty accurate...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
scottydog, what JimiHendrix and nuttyprofessor say about the views from the 'lake view' rooms in CLL is absoutely right; across the lake to glacier, doesn't get much better. The Banff Springs (from personal experience) and the LL Post Hotel (from a visit, not a stay, and by reputation) are more comfortable and, in the case of the Banff Springs, more spectucular hotels (the BS has a pretty impressive view of its own up the Spray and Bow Valleys, which I imagine are available form some rooms.

You can't really go wrong with any of them.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Post is utterly fantastic in every way. I have stayed there six times in the past 8 years including 4 Christmases and New Years. Their New Year event is truly astounding and many people travel from all over Canada just for that night. The problem you may have though is availability, rooms at The Post are offered to returning guests first and only become available if they decline. It took us 3 years to actually get to the point where we had the room we wanted at the exact time we wanted. We then held on to it for another 2 years before we were unable to travel at that time and lost it again.

I could talk for hours about the place, but it is by far the best hotel I have ever stayed in and the best restaurant I have ever dined in and the best wine cellar I have ever drunk from!

For the rest of your party the Inn is directly opposite and is reasonably priced. Personally I would avoid the Chateau, it is a nice location, but inside the rooms are small and the whole place is very impersonal, certainly not the place I would like honeymoon in. We have done the sleigh ride and dog sledding in Lake Louise and both can be booked from the foyer in the Chateau without having to be guests.

As far as snow is concerned, we have skied in Lake Louise at all times from the third week in December through to the second week in April and the snow has always been good. As mentioned above, it can be very cold in December and January, but if you have good ski gear (we bought all new Columbia the first year because European kit wasn't up to it) then you'll be fine and most rooms in The Post have log fires to warm up in front of when you get back!

If you do end up going there and want some other tips about the area then let me know, we loved it so much that we bought a house there and are now going to emigrate!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hello scottydog, my wife and I spent our honeymoon at the Banff Springs. Its the most fantastic of places. I'm sure that the Chateau is equally as good. Are there many in your party, if there is and all do not wish to pay the price of BSH or CLL then Banff may be better as there are many accomodation options and the town is a good night out.

Enjoy.
snow conditions
Ken Lingwood, How are you old chap? Just been looking at the pics from LL 2005.
ski holidays
Thank you for all the great advice. Date set, 28th December, and will keep you posted! Anyone in Banff that day is more than welcome to join in the fun!

ScottyDog & Future Mrs ScottyDog
snow conditions
scottydog, where? Do tell. Fat chance of me being there but I'm interested.
ski holidays
Will keep you posted, we are waiting for confirmation from the venue!

ScottyDog
ski holidays
chateau of course for a wedding the views are justt so beautiful and romantic!
the hotel is amazinG!
but if you want more things to do outiwth hotel recommend banff springs as there i nothing in lake louise to do.
snow report
Richie, I'm OK. I'll be in the Tap next week, I'll call you to let you know.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy