Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Back from Bosnia

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just back from a trip to Bosnia, we went to a small resort called Vlasic in central bosnia. Having really learned to ski in Bosnia when I lived there in the 90s I was excited to see how much the country had improved, particulary the housing stock, of which about 30% was totally destroyed. We flew into Sarajevo (500 metres alt) to about 20 cm of snow and 3C temp. I was fairly confident that we would have snow, but the flight down to Sarajevo was worrying as you could see fences and walls on the mountains, ie the snow was shallow.

The taxi driver confirmed that it had been unseasonally warm since mid november and it had snowed only once including the mountains.

The drive was revealing in how much contruction repair has been done and although it woul be clear that a war had occured, the destroyed buildings are now pepperpotted around and you don't have that jaw dropping Dresdenesque landscape in some of the towns.

The ski resort at 1200 metres had the same 20cm and all the lifts closed. The following morning the baby lift was opened which afforded my son his first opportunity skiing on snow. He loved it! After praying, begging and pleading to a cloudless night I awoke the next day to a "beautiful" sunny day. This long day turned to 3 at which point cabin fever was setting in.

On the fourth day it rained, heavily and sleeted in the evening. So the next morning and with still no lifts open and the 20cm having become 5cm, on a hunch I strapped my skis on to my super versatile bag and hiked up to the peak. There was decent snow from 1950 metres (the peak) to 1600. As it was fresh and no tracks, noise or activity, i found the hike and ski an amazing experience.

That night, the snow gods rewarded my pilgramage by granting some 40 cms to the resort.

I got one solid day skiing in this small but beautiful resort.

This was my first no snow experience anywhere I have skiied and now I am worried that my Kitz trip for week on March 17th will my second. Having spent 5 winters in the balkans I can confirm that the weather there at the moment is freakish.

Had a quick look at the ten day for Sarajevo and frankly I see no change indicated.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy