Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Just back from Soll

Poster: A snowHead
Got back from Soll last night.

It's very mild over there at the moment and the pistes are suffering above the town on Hohe Salve, there is some skiable terrain though.

Best conditions were to be found over towards Scheffau and down towards Brixen, we were able to ski all day everyday in the sunshine (apart from the day it rained). Beginners may find some areas more tricky than normal as it is cutting up in some areas and very hard packed in others making it icy. Be careful if you are going to Soll. As mentioned elsewhere Hopfgarten side is in bad order - very brown.

Thatmanwoody sorry to hear you hurt yourself, saw a few injured people about.

Tended to do our apres at Talstation bar just down from gondola - friendly and a little less noisy - no europop.

Hired skis from Erdinger underneath the gondola also made use of the ski garage there, very straight forward and friendly.

We had good meals at Giovani's and the Venezia and a god awful meal at the Postwirt, excuse of manager was that it was nearly nine and the band were about to start, rubbish food that had to be sent back twice and shrugging service. AVOID and we're not ones for moaning.

Have posted elsewhere that Ryan air were great. Drive to soll from airport in hire car was 1 hour fifteen each way making it ideal for a weekend. Hired through holiday autos link on Trips sticky, you won't find cheaper, thanks H Beaumont.

Our apartment was a comfortable two bedroom apartment that sleeps five (think fifth bed is a put you up in kitchen/diner/lounge) very central and very reasonable, got the details from the tourist office. Happy to e mail the e mail address of owner of you PM me. Owners do part weeks.

Hope this is of some use.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks.

Interesting that Scheffau had better conditions than Soll, as it is lower down (if my memory serves me correctly). Were there any major lift queues?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep they are lower slopes but they face the opposite direction, the better ones being towards Brixen. Saw one significant queue on a lift back towards Scheffau but there were other options. Quiet everywhere generally.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ian bloomfield, Could you ski at Hopfgarten at all?

I have been there twice and both times had to take the chairs all the way down as there was no snow (91 and 93).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ray Zorro, it was very brown down towards Hopfgarten, I don't think it was open all the way down, saw at least one main chair closed on that side also. It really was mild, if it wasn't a prepared piste there was grass or mud visible. I think it would be possible to go upto Hohe salve in the bubble then that 1 person lift, then towrads Soll or further towards Ellmau etc.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ian, did you manage to get anywhere near Ellmau ? 16 of us are going there next Sat ( 27 Jan ) so am aviddly looking for reports the general area.
boo
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ian - hope you a good week. Back is sore but the doctors were very good. Another guy in our party also hurt his back, and one of our girls broke her wrist! We spent a few days having long liquid lunches instead of skiing! We'll def be going back to Soll, as looks like a fabulous ski area when the snow is there. Anyone going out soon, have a great time.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boo907, got over that way, you can ski but it's not pretty, very hard packed in places. The webcams tell the story. Don't expect too much and you maybe suprised.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boo907, I too am off to Soll on the 27th with 18 people (I think!!!). You may see us around sometime.... we will be the ones dressed as super heroes one night. Have a wicked week. Just hoping there is a decent dump of snow over the next couple of weeks.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anyone else just got back from soll or out there now?

Any info on the snow conditions... Only 8 more sleeps!!!!!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Got back Saturday. We just decided to ski everywhere we could and really enjoyed it. The best conditions were in Scheffau, Hopfgarten was closed by the end of the week, we had attempted some ski-grassing there earlier on in the week but it wasn't much fun. You could ski all the way down to Ellmau but the storm on Friday ended our week and took a lot of the skiable area with it.
There's plenty expected this week though. Should be sorted by the 27th........
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bananaskin, Thanks for the update. The forecast looks promising.

If not then I may need a few more pennies to fund the drinking that could replace the skiing!!!!

P.S. Message to the Snow GOD...... Please can we have some snow

P.S. OK OK OK PRETTY Please can we have some snow.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ginger winger, welcome back Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont, Hello. Been around, lurking more than chatting though!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ginger winger, not like you to be so quiet.
wink
snow report
Helen Beaumont, Just you wait till I get back from Soll.... Either good or bad news I will be typing away again with gusto!!!
ski holidays
ginger winger, 'ello fella
ski holidays
Timberwolf, How are you doing?

I see you are off this weekend too. How is it looking where you are going?

I can see some mischief ahead for the forum wink
ski holidays
ginger winger, fair to midling mate, yup Schladming for me. Well there's some sliding on offer, whether the quality is any good I can't say. But I'm reliably informed that they have bars AND beer in Austria, so a good time shall be had by all..... Mischief Puzzled us, nah Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Just been looking at the webcams on www.skiwelt.at and they've changed massively in the last few days. Before it was green with a thin white strip, now it's white everywhere. Anyone going out this weekend could well have timed it nicely.
snow report
seems to have missed Schladming FenlandSkier ?
snow conditions
If this link works it's Schladming's info, http://www.feratel.at/ViewPage.asp?Site=FERATEL-AT&PageID=454
I'm not sure if www.feratel.at allows direct linking, if not you'll have to dig down through English - Sitemap - Weather cams - Austria - Steiermark - Schladming.
ski holidays
same pics as here http://www.planai.at/wetter_schnee_e_392_ENG_HTML.htm .......... looks reasonable from the middle up s'pose......
latest report
FenlandSkier, Now that has made me a lot happier!!!

Quote:

But I'm reliably informed that they have bars AND beer in Austria, so a good time shall be had by all

Funny that.... I had heard the same rumour. Have stocked up on the old beer tokens and I am willing to use tham!!!

Some simple mathematics for snowheads.....

Soll + Snow + Beer + Whiskey Muhle = snowHead
latest report
Aaaah I've been told that I've had a few good nights in the Muhle. What's the name of that bar on the corner of the main through road and the road up to the gondola station - that's where I contributed most to the Austrian Economy ! Laughing
snow conditions
Timberwolf, Salvenstadl? http://salvenstadl.at/Welcome%20page%20UK.htm
ski holidays
That's it FenlandSkier !!! A great bar, great beer, beautiful Frauleins and the live bands were superb... A very good RadioHead tribute band stands out in my mind, as well the Hammer game etc, etc....... good times indeed, good times indeed.........
snow report
Timberwolf, FenlandSkier, Yes I seem to have fuzzy memories of doing a boat race in there against a team of Girlies..... and we LOST Embarassed
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That's wingers for you........ what you needed was a couple of forwards !!!
ski holidays
Ah too true!! Our boat race crew has been beefed up so to speak this year. We now have a prop and a second row involved.

What time do you fly on Saturday? We have an early flight will be tucking into our first sherberts at 4am... snowHead
snow report
sounds similar to me....... we have a 09.00 flight out of LGW, which means a 04.00 start. in my capacity as group leader, I have decreed that Champagne and Bacon Butties will be consumed by all ( well except the bus driver ) and the rules state that the first drink must be taken by the first round-a-bout we reach Embarassed ......

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 24-01-07 17:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Yes 6'o'clock flight from Manchester. Having missed a ski trip last year I am really looking forward to this trip.

Although the snow levels look bad, they are still better than last time I went to Soll. The valley floor was completely devoid of snow Shocked

Bring on the Weekend!!!
ski holidays
mate, there'll be skiing, maybe not as much as you'd wish for, and not of the highest quality, but there'll be skiing nonetheless. It's a cliche but still true, a bad day on the mountain beats a good day in the office every time.

I'm going to use the inclement conditions to have some much needed instruction and hone the old technique a bit, maybe take in a day in Salzburg who knows...... It's a still a holiday

Bring it on.......

Enjoy Cool
snow report
Arrived back on Saturday. Had a good weeks skiing and drinking!!

It was hammering it down with snow on the Saturday I arrived, and snowed into the night.... however, that was it for the week. No more new snow fell all week. Luckily they were able to use the snow cannons most nights so most runs remain open. It did begin to get a little slushy and sticky in the afternoon.

Off piste was getting more and more green as the week went on. It was rarely below freezing at top station throughout the week.

The conditions didn't do much to dampen the apres scene though. With best conditions to be found lower down... the glass. The beer was slippy and went down a treat. Temperature roughly 2-3 degrees and rising (depending on how fast you downed your pint wink ).

All in all great week.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy