Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another ski tuning question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I recently bought one of these http://tinyurl.com/y6ueyx
I have used it to set the base angle at 0.5 degrees and then used the 88 degree side to sharpen the side edge of my skis.
I think that I now have skis edges that have 0.5 deg base angle and a 1.5 deg side angle is this correct? Would a base angle of 1 and side angle of 2 be preferable? The skis are Rossi Zenith z5’s
I used the newly sharpened skis on Wednesday and they gripped the morning ice really well Smile

snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
II wrote:

I think that I now have skis edges that have 0.5 deg base angle and a 1.5 deg side angle is this correct?

snowHead

If everything worked correctly, 0.5base and 2 side. The 88 is relative to the base plastic not the base metal Little Angel
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
II, 0.5 on the base is a little less "forgiving" than 1, but if you ca ski it that's OK.

The important bit for "sharpness" is the difference between the edges - 1.5 on yours. The bigger the number, the sharper the edge. But the sharper it is, the quicker it will go blunt.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The base angle is measured from the horizontal & the side edge is measured either from the horizontal (88 ) or from the vertical (2). You're correect that the 'edge' you have formed is actually 2 minus 0.5 = 1.5, but it's never actually referred to as that, but rather as 0.5,2 - the base edge angle always being stated before the side angle.

The base edge dictates how quickly the edge engages & for most of the time has a bigger bearing on how the ski actually skis than the side angle. A 0.5 base edge will engage quicker than a 0.7 or 1 degree as the ski has to be tilted less for the edge to hook up. For this reason a 0.5 base is often found on slalom skis & is not usually found on beginner skis as there's little margin for error etc. A 1 degree side edge is the most common for recreational skiers. Note that once the base edge angle has been increased, say from 0.5 to 1 then it can only be reduced again by having a base grind & the edges reset. Once a base angle has been set it should be left alone (with all tuning being done on the side edge only) as all you'll do is end up over bevelling the base angle. If you're happy with a 0.5 degree base angle & it's not too grabby then great as it gives more margin for future fettling before a grind is required. If you want less 'grab' then go to 0.7 & try that a while before going to a 1.

With regard to your Rossi's. Were you setting the base angle following a stone grind? The reason I ask is that AFAIK the base angle is factory set at 1 degree so if they were already at 1 then you can't actually then set them to 0.5 as the metal is already below the file/stone. Did the file actually remove any metal?

Once the skis have been tilted & the edge has engaged it's then the side angle which determines the amount of grip, the more side angle the more the point of the edge cuts into the snow. AFAIK your Rossi's have a factory side angle of 1 degree so by going to a 2 degree side angle you'll be increasing your grip. It's no problem going up to a 3 degree side angle (all Atomics are made like that, including their powder skis, & many Fischers) but above 3 you'll start to get some durability issues.

I'd recommend investing in a diamond file/stone to smooth out the striations on the edge left after filing - the smoother the edge the more durable it'll be.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon wrote:
Did the file actually remove any metal?

No not a lot on the base but quite a bit on the side.

Thanks for the information. As I only have 0.5 and 1 to choose for a base angle next time I sharpen the edges I'll set the base to 1 and then leave it.
Very Happy

New website I see Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
II, You shouldn't be touching the base edge at all - all tuning should be done on the side edge & then remove the hanging burr that's raised by tuning the side edge.

II wrote:
New website I see Very Happy

It's coming on slowly. Have some great info still to add plus the online shopping facility wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy