Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Not booked yet, so where should I go for half term ?

Poster: A snowHead
I haven't done any research yet but just seen a couple of comments on other posts about cancelling - that's a scary thought, I don't want to miss my white holiday.

Well maybe I'm lucky, we haven't booekd yet, so where is there plenty of snow ? We'll be going 2nd week of Feb (half term) so maybe I shouldn't worry yet. Is it likely that most resorts will be white by then ?

We will consider Bansko, Andorra, France (not LDA, that's for the summer) or Austria. Nowhere expensive and N. America is too far. I would prefer to not go above 3000m 'cos I get altitude sickness (yes, 2 yrs running in LDA). I guess the glaciers will be packed anyway if snow is poor elsewhere.

I've only been at this for 2 years so would value comments from more experienced members.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mike.healy, I suggest that you go anywhere that you can find suitable accommodation!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Elizabeth B, There seems to be plenty on offer, I get emails several times a week offering stuff including Half term week. Or is this likely to dry up suddenly ?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fair enough....check out the snow reports and go somewhere that isn't likely to be full of Brit kids!!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am more concerned about snow Elizabeth B, Brit kids are no problem as I've never really grown up myself.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Is it likely that most resorts will be white by then

Yes, probably, but even in a more average year Bansko can be questionable for snow and, so far, Andorra is having a quite terrible year, a lot worse than the Alps. I think if I were you I would try to book fairly soon - once the snow arrives, which it will, availability will drop sharply. Do you have kids or are you tied to half term because you are a teacher? What sort of place do you like, apart from inexpensive? What sort of skiing? And what sort of accommodation - self-catering, catered chalet, hotel? Is quality of tuition important?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lastminute are offering catered chalet in Courcheval 1850 or Merible for £399 half term week- flights from Gatwick!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nadenoodlee, last occupants (Russian) left in a hurry!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, Thanks Pam. to answer your questions, it is me (53) and my 19 yr old son (on a reading week from uni).

We think we prefer hotels....but whatever it is we don't want to cook or wash up.

We are low intermediates and we wll take group tuition as a way of meeting people. Tuition in Bankso and Borovets wasn't very technical but certainly very social; we had a few good private lessons in LDA with Jeremy at the European Ski School.

The snow in Bankso last Feb was good, though the temp was -17 most days on the hill.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have you had a look at Passo Tonale, skiing would suit you there. There may be a lot of schools there that week though.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
"even in a more average year Bansko can be questionable for snow"

Not sure where Pam W gets her stats from but Bansko has an excellent snow record, in fact the best in Bulgaria - unfortunately this year (like the rest of Europe) there has not been a large quantity of natural snow falling.

Whatever you do Mike - have fun. It is around 6 weeks away so I would not worry too much about the conditions...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Livigno would also fit the bill. 1800-2800m, tax free and currently has good snow Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mike.healy, http://www.skialacarte.co.uk/
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mike.healy, I don't think that accommodation will be a problem at half term, it's the flights that sell out. I used to have to go at half term all the time when I was married as my ex was a teacher. We used to book a cheap flight somewhere that served a variety of resorts and then choose a resort and book accommodation nearer the time when you could see what the snow was going to be like. Alitalia flights from Heathrow were always good value.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mike.healy,
It is peak holiday time in France with French kids so personally I would avoid it if possible.
Having said that France and Switzerland seem to have the snow at the moment.
For two people I might be inclined to wait and book in Austria if there is a further snow fall (Which is likley at this time of year.) Austria is cheaper than France and has the best value for money hotels of any country IMO.
ski holidays
Quote:

but Bansko has an excellent snow record, in fact the best in Bulgaria

Yes, I'm sure it does have the best snow record in Bulgaria. mike.healy, you could try a catered chalet - should be sociable and relaxing and if you choose one with around, say, 16 guests you would be able to avoid anyone really objectionable. We always found good company in chalets, and the availability of a ski guiding service is a real plus if you are in a big and unfamiliar resort. Nadenoodlee found a few good offers - go for Courchevel over Meribel any day, I reckon. Higher, better skiing, not quite so many Hooray Henrys and if you stay in a chalet the resort need not be expensive (just watch out, some of the slopeside bars are horrendously more expensive than others... look at the price list). Another option would be to take lessons with a British ski school with small groups - Courchevel also a great place for that - you would probably enjoy technically more proficient instruction and the Courchevel valley has some wonderful progressive skiing for intermediates who don't want to be bored or scared. Funnily enough, my daughter never seems to do any reading in her reading weeks, either...
ski holidays
I can second Courchevel as a great place to ski. Fair warning about slopeside restaurants but other than some spots its no worse than most of the larger French resorts. Be careful of the large and wonderful slopeside restaurant on the green run that is on the main run back in- unless you win the lottery!!!
snow conditions
dan100, Do you mean the Bergeries? The one with the gold bows on it? It is wonderful, and you don't have to have the 2000 Euro wines! They did a decent spag bol etc for us poor people without complaint or the need for a mortgage!

snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy