Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Favourite mental images (skiing only please)

Poster: A snowHead
What are your favourtie SIMPLE ski tips or mental images and what does it help you correct, Mine are

"Thighs High" keeps my pelvis forward and in a dynamic upright position
"Drive the bus" keeps my hands in a good low wide forward position

Any one have anything else that i could add to my memory bank?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In the morning I have a mental image of lunch that keeps me going. In the afternoon I have a vision of the first large beer and loosening my ski boots to drive me on Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Flex, flex! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My wife was always told to "Keep your money honey" in lessons in the US. All I can remember is that you had to ski as if you had a dollar bill clenched "somewhere" - however the image of this means I can't for the life of me recall what the benefit was
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boris, that's another one to keep your pelvis forward, if clenched between your wife's...never mind wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
work the flats

when in doubt straighten out

$10

learn to dance with the mountain
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Vinko Bogataj
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
little tiger, $10?????

comprex, huh
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boris wrote:
My wife was always told to "Keep your money honey" in lessons in the US. All I can remember is that you had to ski as if you had a dollar bill clenched "somewhere" - however the image of this means I can't for the life of me recall what the benefit was

Most probably under your left arm or between your teeth.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret,

My instructor would simply draw $10 note in the snow....

he had previously explained it to me though....

"you only have $10 of concentration - USE IT WISELY"

relates to the fact that all energy expended worrying about bad consequences is likely to only detract from performance and hence lead to those bad consequences becoming more likely.... so use the concentration on the stuff you NEED to do...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
little tiger, so my tongue sticking out grimace mental image isnt the way to go then..... wink I like the 10 bucks will put that in the memory bank thanks
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i'm told it comes from bike racing (my instructor raced for yamaha before being an instructor so that makes sense).... simply you cannot be worrying how the bike is running etc etc etc and also RIDING the damn thing properly... and as YOU cannot do much about the other stuff you should focus on RIDING which is the part you have control over... (that info was from a friend who had been involved in racing bikes also)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snow!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Having a beetle called Alexander under my big toe. When I initiate a turn you give him a bit of a warning and then push his face in the snow before sinking down and crushing a grape which is positioned in the arch of my foot! (anyone who has ever skiied with Bob Trueman of BOBSKI will know what I'm on about!!)

and on steeper slopes, remember to pat your snow moles which run alongside you on the outside of your down hill ski and your and snow giraffe which is trying to keep up with you on the outside of your uphill ski.

oh, and BREATHE!!!!!! (often find myself holding my breath!!)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helena wrote:

oh, and BREATHE!!!!!! (often find myself holding my breath!!)

Do you inhale or exhale first?
snow report
- Carry your beer & don't spill it (an ESF image for hand position & keeping them level)
- Thigh high (a Warren Smith image for keeping weight forward & ankles flexed)
- 'C' shape down the outer torso line when carving (a Martin Bell image for angulation/inclination)
- Trip over your skis (a Warren Smith image for getting weight forward & across the skis, especially on steeps)
- Gravity is your friend (a Martin Bell tip for when it goes pear shaped - point skis down hill & your balance will sort itself out)
latest report
Dive down the hill - to encourage you to almost leap forward and down the fall-line.
snow conditions
slikedges, probably explained why it never worked for me then - I was concentrating on the wife's you know rather than the money. Still helped keep my pelvis forward! Shocked
latest report
Boris, and she thought she just skied faster than you...
latest report
One unforgettable description from a ski coach last year was to "ski like a dog humping a football".

(don't stick your butt out!) rolling eyes
latest report
Do you supply your own football?
ski holidays
Think imaginery dog, imaginery football...
ski holidays
When i was learning the instructor at Oldham dry slope just used to say keep smiling! Laughing
snow conditions
I love these!!! some of my favourites are drills to work on certain aspects rather than for when you are skiing 'normally'.
For posture/body position "GOALKEEPER!" is a favourite.... think of yourself, stood on the goal line, waiting for a penalty..hands up..
Also for the hands "F.T." ....... so you're balancing on the tube... now open up a broadsheet newspaper....shouldnt be far off.

Quote:

One unforgettable description from a ski coach last year was to "ski like a dog humping a football".

Laughing
Mine is similar but a little more .... ahem..grown up.. "You know Tarquin,... skiing is very much like making lurve to a big, beautiful woman..from behind Toofy Grin " Pelvis forward, and if your feeling fruity arms round for a cuddle at the same time [remember she's BIG!]. Aftergiving the discription/demo all you need to shout on the way down the hill is "make lurve baby!!"

For the carvers out there I like to "sit on the stool!"..... as you ski, imagine a small milking stool abeam your heel on the inside of the turn... now try and sit your butt cheek on it as you go round the turn. The stool can get shorter as you get better and move a little further inside the turn if neccessary.

for 'drills' the NOISIER the better.... i appologise if I've ever been out having fun spoiling your peaceful day on the mountain... HAWAII 5-Oh, Dambusters, Gorilla noises, and the blue danube waltz have all been heard at high volume on my trips (with a big thanks to uncle eric for his tips!)
ski holidays
as an ESF guy once told me "more fornicate and less deficate"
snow report
An Italian ski instructor used to shout "Bust al valle, bust al valle!! " all the time -- so I shout this to myself quite a lot--- Blush
snow report
Julieanne, i can guess but how bout a translation wink
latest report
skimottaret, You guessed right! Your link has nice photos and a great ski video--wish I was there right now! wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Julieanne, with all the doom and gloom about lack of snow it is empty if you can spare the time get on a plane!!! thanks for the nice comment on the site i did it myself a few months ago and it has turned out well i think

now repeat after me Bust al valle, bust al valle!! snowHead snowHead Very Happy
snow report
skimottaret, snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
This one's for Masque. I once heard of a yound lady competing in a 'Naked Ski' event, she used the Button to get to the top of the mountain on this fine but cold afternoon. Anyone seen the 'Ski lift' scene in 'Dumb and Dumber'? OUCH!!!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy