Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

dolomites

Poster: A snowHead
Hoppo, We stayed at the Hotel Corona. Excellent location with one of the runs into town right opposite. If I stayed again would upgrade room. Our 2 daughters and 2 friends had a quad on the upper floor which was fabulous, whilst we had a 1970's timewarp room. (Although husband thought it was perfectly fine, but I think it desparately needed upgrading). The Wellness Centre was really impressive too, not really my sort of thing, but as far as they go it was very luxurious. The hotel next door, Hotel Laurin, looked very good too and was recommended by Martin Bell when I was looking for a hotel last year.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Here is the web address - www.hotel-corona.it
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Up late last night going through brochures trying to decide on next years resort. Need to book accommodation fairly early as up to 20 of us going. All are decided on the Dolomites again. Have narrowed it down to last 3, Corvara, Canazei or Madonna di Campiglio. We can't quite remember seeing Corvara even though we skiied around Colfosco a lot. We are looking for a pretty resort with a good selection of nice bars. Canazei seems a lot cheaper than the others, is there a reason for this? Then there is Madonna di Campligio where after a search I could probably find reasonably priced accommodation, but is everything else extortionately expensive? By the way, originally thought Arabba would suit, but sounds as if it may be a little too quiet. We did the Sella Ronda last week and wizzed past some villages, but they seem to be a bit of a blur now. Which was the one with the magic carpet and then the escalator to the main lift? And which was the one that you approach on the chair lift going over a motorhome park? Any advice would be great appreciated. Thanks.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Christina1, I got confused as to what was Colfosco and what was Corvara Embarassed Looking at Canazei on the map, it is a little off the Sella Ronda, rather than being absolutely on it and there are no nursery slopes in the village. It does access onto the Lupo Bianco area which I thought was the prettiest...

Quote:

Which was the one with the magic carpet and then the escalator to the main lift?

That's Arabba

Quote:

And which was the one that you approach on the chair lift going over a motorhome park?

That's Colfosco, I think - the chairlift is the wierd one you can go up or down.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

And which was the one that you approach on the chair lift going over a motorhome park?

That's Colfosco, I think - the chairlift is the wierd one you can go up or down.[/quote]

That’s right. It has the Llamas under it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
tp023, I didn't spot the llamas, I did see some ponies tho'...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hoppo,
The llamas were in the same pen - must have been inside when you went past Smile
Quote:

Which was the one with the magic carpet and then the escalator to the main lift?

Or you could just walk up the path and take the steps which was quicker than the magic carpet and escalator!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hoppo,
Quote:

Christina1, I got confused as to what was Colfosco and what was Corvara Looking at Canazei on the map, it is a little off the Sella Ronda, rather than being absolutely on it and there are no nursery slopes in the village. It does access onto the Lupo Bianco area which I thought was the prettiest...

Canazei is right on the Sella Ronda.

As soon as you go up the gondola to the Pecol (the only way into the ski area from Canazei) you are into the Belvedere ski area, whihc you have no choice about passing through when doing the round trip.

You take the chair up from the top of the gondola, then if going clockwise, ski down to Lupo Bianco and catch the gondola up to the Col Rodella, or if going anticlockwise, ski down to the left hand one of the central chair lifts, which takes you up to the ridgeline from where you ski down to Arabba.

To get to any of the other areas in Val di Fassa, you have to use the ski bus.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
alex, arguing pedantically: for Arabba, Selva and Colfosco you walk through part of the village whilst you Sella Ronda but for Canazei you don't Toofy Grin

I'm assuming you've stayed in Canazei - how is it? Does the gondola get busy? I'm up for anther visit to the area and Canazei and Selva look interesting...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hoppo wrote:
alex, arguing pedantically: for Arabba, Selva and Colfosco you walk through part of the village whilst you Sella Ronda but for Canazei you don't Toofy Grin

I didn't walk through any of the villages when I did it (clockwise, starting from Col Rodella). I had to walk across the road in Arabba, but that was all.

But yes it is technically possible in the other villages to get to a lift which is actually a part of the route without having to take another lift first.

Quote:

I'm assuming you've stayed in Canazei - how is it? Does the gondola get busy? I'm up for anther visit to the area and Canazei and Selva look interesting...

No, I actually stayed in Campitello, and I never used the Canazei gondola, although I met people at the top of it a couple of times, so I'm not sure how busy it gets. I spent a while at the end of each day in Cazei waiting for the bus back to Campitello, and walked over after skiing one evening to do some shopping, but that was all the time I spent there.

I can recommend the sports shop which is in the little shopping centre close to where you catch the bus if you walk down from the end of the home piste - Amplatz Sports. Very helpful staff in there, and a pretty good selection of stock.

I'm aiming next time to either go to Selva or Alta Badia, but I wouldn't object to another trip to Val di Fassa.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
alex, yep - we'll be back in the area next year, possibly Arabba but I think we'd be happy in most of the places around there.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just back yesterday evening from Arabba.

Fantastic week albeit a bit busy at times - it was Italian half term week as mentioned in an earlier post by Hoppo.

Flew to Bolzano from Gatwick - afternoon flight all on time no queues and door to door in 10 hours which is not bad. I have spent half that time getting from Geneva/Lyon to the Bourg St. Maurice area before at half term week, never again.

Booked through Inghams who do not have a clue about baggage allowance - I checked with them before going out that the allowance was 15kg hold and 8kg hand luggage. I spent ages arranging our luggage to fall under this criteria and guess what? At check in we are told our hand luggage is over weight as the limit is 5kg and our hold luggage is well under as it is 20kg per person. A quick rearrangement sorted this out no problem. I had paid for one pair of ski carriage and had SP’s and mine in a single ski bag, this was not checked at all.

Now the good stuff.....................

Arrived at the Hotel Evaldo just after midnight, very friendly greeting, asked if we would like a cold plate and some wine either in the bar or in our room. Accepted the room option and the food/wine were delivered in 10 minutes. Great cold plate and a lovely bottle of local merlot.

The Evaldo was superb - pool, jacuzzi, steam room, gym ( not for me I might add ), nice large rooms and very pleasant staff. Food fantastic, big buffet breakfast and 4 course evening meals, which started with a huge buffet selection. Good wine list, not expensive, and top service. Also not aware of any other Brits in the hotel at all.

The skiing was excellent - despite an obvious lack of snow all pistes were in top condition. I have not been to Arabba and the Dolomites for 8 years and can say that the lift system, all hands free, has been upgraded throughout the Selle Ronda and compares with most of the best I have seen/ used in France.

Clear skies and quite warm all week until Friday, which was cloudier. We trekked up the Marmolada Glacier that day only to be greeted with almost white out conditions changing to flat light on the descent. Definitely the best snow here but the light conditions did not allow us to make the most of it.

There were some large queues at some of the Sella Ronda pinch points, SP and I did it on Tuesday, taking the clockwise route starting at 10:45 and took about 3 hours to get round - we did take a diversion down the Saslong to St. Christina and Vallon above Boe.

Wednesday we headed off to the hidden Valley, big queues for the taxis/buses at Armentarola and a long long wait for the cable car. But stunning scenery and not actually that busy on the piste. We got down very quickly as SP does not quite appreciate the finer points of the views etc, he is only 11. I did get a few pictures which I will post in the media zone later.

Thursday we took the tour operators trip to Cortina, we did have a non skier with us so this seemed a good option. The skiing in Cortina was also excellent, as was the shopping for Mrs CP. Did some steeper stuff than we had enjoyed earlier in the week, which included the world cup run on Toffana ( I think ) and another steep black over on the Faloria area in the afternoon.

Saturday brought the inevitable snow as we were homebound – I would not say it was very heavy but anything is better than nothing.

Trip back to Bolzano was very slow, 3 hours plus as the traffic was stop start for miles. Some delays of other flights put the one shack airport under some logistical strain – this was the only downside of our travel arrangements.

Would we go again? – Definitely!

Would we use Inghams – Possibly not as their baggage instructions were poor to say the least. In resort rep was okay, but not really needed.

Now only 5 weeks until our next trip - Les Arcs snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CP, Thanks for the report, going to Arabba next Sunday. Some snow forcast during the next week so keeping my fingers crossed.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CP, I guess the Hidden Valley is quiet because the cable car limits the number of people that can get to the start. We avoided the crowds for the return transfer by starting at 4:20am, lovely and quiet! Shocked I quite liked the transfer from Bolzano - on the scale of things it was relatively short. The Inghams people said they were the only ones flying internationally into Bolzano. We're thinking of trying Selva this time next year...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
riverman,

Some photos here

I am no David Bailey but I hope you can get a flavour of the scenery and piste conditions. I will add some more when I have a chance to sort them out.
snow report
CP, Thanks for the photos. I have been to Arabba on a walking holiday in the Summer so have some idea of what is where but of course it always looks different covered in snow (i hope)
ski holidays
riverman, Different and better Very Happy

I would imagine the walking is great around there in the Summer.

I do a bit of fly fishing and reckon the area would be great for wild trout - did you see many nice looking streams whilst out walking?
ski holidays
CP, no trout streams in the Arabba area that i saw, but when we walked in the Cortina area there were were some streams/ small rivers that could contain fish although cannot remember seeing any fishermen. It was July so perhaps it was out of season
latest report
CP, did Inghams charge you for the ski's? If I remember correctly they tried to charge us £20 but after a quick phone call to the airline they told us one pair could be taken free.
latest report
tp023, Yes they charged £15. I also contacted them about hand luggage dimensions, they gave me some cowd00 small size. So I checked with Tyrolean (Austrian Airways), and they confirmed 55 x 40 x 23.

I would just like to add that the Tyrolean flight was one of, if not the best charters I have been on. Plenty of leg room, a reasonable/edible hot meal ( children were offered their own alternative, free drinks and a top up, and a mozart chocolate to finish.
latest report
Off to Arabba tomorrow and they have had some snow with some more forecast.
ski holidays
riverman, bon voyage! snowHead
snow report
riverman wrote:
Hoppo, Going to Arabba on the 4th March with Colletts Holidays who have various Chalet options in the village. Did you hire skis and if so were they offering a good selection.

Just getting into planning mode for the coming season - the Dolomites are high on the list after a wonderful week in Arabba in Feb this year.

I have been looking at Colletts - how were they? I am sure they ( or Tom Collett ) ran Ski Beach Villas back in the 90's who were pretty good before Neilson took over their operation in Arraba and ruined it.

Did you stay in Arabba or Pedraces?

Cheers
ski holidays
CP, Stayed in Arabba with Colletts in the Auberge Chalet. Very happy with Colletts, have booked to go back for two weeks in March.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy