Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

dolomites

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone recommend a resort in the dolomites for an aged virtual beginner & a teenager with 2 weeks experience for this half-term.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Passo Tonale - A high resort with mainly blue and red runs. Slopes are right next to the resort.

Also consider Madonna di Campiglio (more expensive) and Arabba in the Sella Ronda.

snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I enjoyed Arabba over Christmas, again mainly blues and reds around the general area of the town. We had a nice appartment in the centre of town over Christmas week for 860 euros -slept 4-6 people (two double bedrooms and sofa bed in living room), so I thought Arabba was very reasonably priced. Lifts were 5 minutes walk away and the food in the mountain restaurants and in town was good and reasonably priced.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
trevor,

Arabba gets my vote too - and we will be there this coming February half term. Nursery slopes right by the town and lots of cruisy blues within easy reach. I have not eaten out there for a good few years but it used to be easier on the wallet than everywhere else I have skied ( expect local ski area on the Jura in France ).

Dave Horsley, How busy were the town, lifts etc at Christmas?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arabba is the best for good skiers (don't miss the Marmolada) but perhaps the skiing is a bit difficult for virtual beginners? Corvora, a bit further round the Sella Ronda might be better.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks

Can you suggest anywhere to stay in Corvara. I also wondered about Ortisei as the ski schools seem to have longer hours.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Trevor
The best place to stay in Corvara is the Posta Zirm Hotel, right on the slopes and where the main Apres-Ski bar is. I have freinds in the area, if you need some more recommendations let me know and I'll call em and find out what other places are worth looking at.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Both Corvara and the neighbouring village, Colfosco, are much better than Arabba (and Ortisei) for inexperienced skiers because of the extent of easy doorstep skiing. You might find it interesting to look at http://www.altabadiaski.info/pages/mp.php?getpage=skiarea&se=e, an informal guide (in Eglish or German) to skiing in and around Corvara/Colfosco including a number of well illustrated skitours.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Brooksie wrote:
Trevor
The best place to stay in Corvara is the Posta Zirm Hotel, right on the slopes and where the main Apres-Ski bar is.

Ah!! evokes memories of the Tea Dancing followed by the amusing coach journey back to Arabba. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
CP,

Relatively quiet. No real lift queues for any of the lifts in and around Arabba even, the chair by the ski school, immediately after dropping the kids off. Most of the lifts we just skiied straight onto (or walked straight on for the gondolas and bubbles). In the whole week we were there we had two longish queues for lifts on the Sella Ronda (and in France I would have said they were short.

A typical busy lift.

The crowded pistes

and you can see how busy the chair is in this picture.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dave Horsley, .. and the fantastic views. Great pictures.

snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dave Horsley, Ace pictures, hope it's like that in March when I'm out there.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks -I would be grateful for any recommendations for B& B pensions as unfortunately my finances arn't quite up to the Posta Zirm. Ideally I'd like something near to lifts & ski school meeting points. We won't have a car.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave Horsley, Great shots, I hope it is as busy as this at half term. The last picture looks quite steep, for the area, was it above Arabba?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CP wrote:
Dave Horsley, Great shots, I hope it is as busy as this at half term. The last picture looks quite steep, for the area, was it taken above Arabba?
ski holidays
CP,

Quote:

The last picture looks quite steep, for the area, was it taken above Arabba?

Yep, on the way back from the Marmolda/Malga Ciapela. Its the red under the Padon 1 chair. Basically take the bubble out of Arabba and get off at the midstation. Ski down to the two man chair. This drops you at the top of a nice cruisey blue down to the two man chair shown in the last piccy. Take this and from the top you can either head back towards Arabba down the red shown or take a long red down into Malga Ciapela to head up to the Marmolada glacier. Its a quite short steep pitch. Its also not as steep or as long as some of the reds back into Arabba from the bubble or the cable car, but it is quite narrow.
ski holidays
I'm looking forward to going to Arabba in a months time, looks great! snowHead
ski holidays
Hoppo, When are you there? we arrive 17th Feb late.
latest report
In Arabba on the 4 th March for a week, did a walking holiday there a year ago and thought it looked good for skiing as well as really good walking.
snow report
This is also near Arabba, but off piste

ski holidays
CP, we arrive the week before - on the 10th Feb... and leave 17th Feb (v. early). We're staying in the Olympia.

snowball, HappyMouffe says "We're not going down there!" snowHead Obviously I would... Toofy Grin
snow report
Hoppo,
Stayed at the Olympia a couple of years ago good choice
The have awell equiped ski room at the slopes with heated lockers
Its on my possables list for March
ski holidays
Garfield, jolly good! I've found the webcam for the boot room... looks like Arabba holds snow well because it nestles behind a north facing slope...
snow conditions
snowball wrote:
This is also near Arabba, but off piste (That's snowhead Cedric skiing down)

snow conditions
snowball, Did you get a guide for the off piste? If so is can you recommend him/her?

TIA
snow conditions
Would still be very grateful for any recommendations for pensions ski schools etc in Corvara.

Thanks
ski holidays
Try this Trevor from a search with snowheads....

Ian Hopkinson, how short a walk do you want ... how about slopeside accommodation?! Hotel Arlara in Corvara - very 'blue' resort but lots of reds either side, about 1/2 mile walk down into town but right on the piste. Have stayed there twice, always loved it and would definitely return. Both times we have been the only Brits staying there - mostly Italians, Dutch, German. They have their own website (but can't remember for the moment what it is .. just search).

also try this link for more ideas in the Dolomites

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=299128&highlight=corvara#299128

We tooka mixed ability group to teh Dolomites and it is teh best place I havwe skied - loads of lifts, not bust, not expensive and amazing scenery. I skied through Arrab a few times and it was lovely. I stayed in Canzei but wouldn't recommend it for beginners as all the begineers had to have lessons on a different mountain in the valley with poor connections for skiing the wider area. It still was okay. Those who had skied beofre could go off in teh mornings while they had lessons and meet and ski togther in teh afternoon. Was a shame both sides of teh valley weren't connected by cable though. There was cable lift connection years ago apparenly until a US (ithink) jet crashed into it.

Have fun and good luck finding somewhere - sure you will.

I used a website called http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/home.athx?ccode=en-US which lists loads of hotels and pensions and you can just balanket email any that interest you - you can search accomodation by resort but I didn't see Corvara.....
latest report
This looks affordable but don't know much about the resort...

http://www.hotelfiorenza.com/en/
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anywhere on or south of Str. Col Alt in Corvara or just about anywhere at all in Colfosco is no more than a 2 minute walk to the pistes, lifts & ski school meeting points. Given that Italian food is generally good, I think you could safely take a chance on any guest houses/pensions from 2 star onwards in the brochure http://img.dolomitisuperski.com/altabadia/attach/corvara.pdf which meets you requirements for location. Otherwise call the local tourist office (details on the Alta Badia website) and they will sort you out.
snow conditions
CP
I have used these people before and they are very good, check out the website.
One of the guys that runs it has published a book on all the off-piste runs in the area and its agood read.

http://www.proguide.it/eng/index.php
snow report
snowball, is that the Val Medzi?
snow conditions
Swirly,
Yes that is the Val Mesdi, it is a great experience, albeit a bit hairy for the first 100 metres.
snow report
Brooksie, I've walked up it in summer (still snow at the top), fancy trying it this year, conditions permitting. I'm in Selva in March.
ski holidays
Swirly,
We are there in March too, not sure about the dates yet. If there is snow on it let's ski it, otherwise I'll give the walk a go.
ski holidays
Brooksie, 17th for me I'll be boarding. I'm not sure what it'll be like to walk up in winter: it's a long way and N facing so pretty cold. We left the campsite early and it probably took 13 hours to do a circuit up the valley to the summit of Piz Boe and then back via the lake (can't remember its name off the top of my head). Any ice on the rocks at the top and I wouldn't fancy it without an axe and crampons either.
ski holidays
To aidencostello - The resort where the US Airforce Jet flew down the valley "showing off" and severed the cable car ropes was Cavalese, which is also in the Dolomites. It was in 1996 if my memory serves me right - I was there 2 weeks later, and the mashed up cable car was still lying on the valley floor. It was very sad and the whole town understandably had a very sombre mood about it, as they had lost some of their instructors and a cable car "driver" in the accident. Had a great weeks sking there, visiting several other nearby resorts too, such as Pampeago, Obereggen and Predazzo. The whole region is a skiers paradise and with a car you can visit a different resort every day on the same ski pass and not even scratch the surface. Highly recommended, as long as the snow is good. The Sasslonch World Cup Downhill in Selva is a superb run if a little icy at times. There is a fine log run dow to Ortisei from Seceda and if you get a taxi from Amerentola to the Laguzoi cable car then you can ski The Hidden Valley which is one of the most beautiful, secluded and stunning red runs in the whole of Europe in my opinion, ending with a tow back to the lift network by a Donkey!!!! I assume the old boy is still going...it was '94 when i was last there... he may have been served as a carpaccio by now I guess.
snow conditions
Brooksie, Is Mario still in Arabba?
latest report
CP,
Yes he is I have his number if you want to try and book private lessons
snow conditions
Unfortunately I'm not having much luck in finding accommodation in Covara. Any suggestions for another small resort in the area suitable for virtual beginners needing ski school & without ar car would be very useful.
latest report
trevor, I maintain that Arabba would suit what you are looking for. I agree it has the more of the challenging skiiing in the Sella Ronda area but it also has a lot of easy blues and the nursery area is right bang inext to the town.

Check the Arabba web cam its looking good
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy