Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it really going to be that warm?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Okay so the freezing level is going to rise to a very high level over the weekend (saturday)....

Based on Flaine Area.........

Snowforecast - 3350m
metcheck - 3619m
meteo france - 3400m

while this is true the temps at 1600m are

snowforecast +1c - +4c
metcheck +1c - +3c
meteo france 4c

I now these resort temps are high for January but in March I am sure I ski in conditions much much hotter at this altitude i.e. up to 20c. So is the weekend realy going to do that much damage? / be that slushy?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm wondering the same thing about LDA next week.

Maybe the big difference in spring is that there is usually a substantial base melting away slowly - against not a lot there already, now.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
achilles, In most places though after a hot Saturday, the temperatures are going to drop right back down to 30-year norms. I'm off to Saalbach on Sunday so I've naturally been watching weather closely (e.g. every 10 mins all day every day like any decent snowhead would! snowHead) and although the freezing level is going to be up over 3000m somewhere Saturday, the forecast after that is pretty low.

I am not sure I appreciate all this talk about there being no winter. Take a look at this chart:
[/img]

The red line is the 30 year average. The grey is the average prediction of the current forecasts. Yes it hasn't been a great start to the ski season (last time I checked it was only mid-January), but the temperatures are actually pretty average for this time of year.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kamikaze, I agree about the temperature dropping after Saturday - but I am wondering about how much damage will have been done to the slopes by the hot spell at LDA. OTOH, if you are prepared to go to Saalbach, maybe I am getting over-worried. I would like to think so.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
At LDA, mosts forecasts show FL dropping back down below 2000m after the weekend. Even over the weekend, despite the high FL, the consensus forecast seems to show FL dropping below zero overnight mid-mountain (as I write snow-forecast says -5C Sat night mid-mountain). FL can be deceptive. snow-forecast and metcheck both show FL up at 3600m or so but never have the mid-mountain (2400m) temp up above about 4C. These are the kinda temperatures you prob get each March/April. Whilst this isn't great, I can't see it devastating the base where it's frozen over night and been bashed. If those temps were sustained for a week then maybe, but that isn't what the forecasts are showing. With 60cm currently reported at 2600m, I wouldn't loose too much sleep snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
looks like the latest run shows a slightly less devastatingly high temp on 13/14th than originally predicted... Anyone with some meteo knowledge confirm my eyes working before the coffee kicks in..

24hrs to go and we'll be on the autoroute skirting Reims I'd guess snowHead snowHead Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NorthWestFace wrote:
but in March I am sure I ski in conditions much much hotter at this altitude i.e. up to 20c.

Not at Altitude. Temps in March & april are normamlly quite below. 0C . It may feels warm in the sun but the air temperature is still low.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kaprun is showing freezing level today at 1400m,rising to 1700m saturday then dropping to around 1100m the rest of the week. I just hope you get good conditions in Saalbach otherwise everyone will come over to the glassier and spoil my fun Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stanton,

Surley not at 1600m as used in the example ? I am sure I see the freezing level over 4000m in april with 20c degrees at 1100m ish
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you want re-assurance i have skiied in meribel (1300m odd) in late march when the temperature guage in Chaudanne read 16c odd (i think that make the FL about 3500m+). The snow was just fine all week, not so good first thing (good excuse for a lay in) and slush in evening (very amusing to watch people kind of sink on the last run)...but just great 11am-2pm.

I think it was a big foehn wind week then too, the snow was yellow in places with the sand brought up from the desert! Still had a great time, naturally. Very Happy

Then i went again to La Plagne in mid-april the year after and the same thing happened! still good tho Smile

Anyway...looking to next week (w/c 20th), it looks like the freezing level is going to drop significantly and precipitate for sure...so lets all keep positive. snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Here in Les Saisies with skiing only up to 2069m above the station at 1600 the snow, except on the steeper south facing slopes, is holding up remarkably well. 54 out of 64 pistes were open yesterday. Actually very pleasant yesterday and there was virtually no wind, we did have lunch on the terrace in the sun but it didn't feel baking (10 degrees at 1500m). We only had one day of foehn. The skiing is nicer underfoot than I remember April, less sticky (or maybe I am getting better at ski prep, thanks spyderjon) even though in April there was a metre or so of snow under the slush and now the cover is thin. I set off for a walk yesterday morning, up a track near our apartment at 1500m, and had to come back for my snowshoes, there was plenty of snow on the track even though it is south facing. The piste back to our chairlift, at 1500m, is being maintained to an easily skiable standard and if it gets cold enough at night to make snow next week it should make it through to the next forecast snowy spell, albeit not looking very pretty. The fact that the resort is now really quiet will help a lot. It's been far better than we feared at Christmas and it's amazing how much good the 60cm dump we got on 1/2 January did.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
and looking at the cam this morning looks like there is a couple of cm's of fresh snow on Bisanne snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes, probably so, it was damp and foggy down at 1500m but not far above freezing.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy