Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eurostar/Sleeper Train

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thought i'd resurrect this one as i can't be ass'd to trawl thro' 30 pages of Threads.
Anyway,has anyone been to Alpe D'Huez on the Eurostar?
The travel company says it has to change at Paris,where you pick up the sleeper train.
Questions are:-

What time does it get into Paris Friday night?

Is it pre-allocated couchettes,& if we booked as a group would we all get in same Room/Carriage?

How many people are in each Cubicle/Carriage & what is the format?

I'm sure someone regularly uses this option from this thread last year,though that was on the old SCBG Group.

Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't know about the train to Alpe d'Huez but I've caught the Service de Nuit to Bourg St Maurice, this leaves Gare d'Austerlitz at about 9.30 pm, arriving in Bourg at around 06.30 am. You have to get from Gare de Nore to Austerlitz, it's a few stops on the metro or about 15 -20 minutes by cab, very easy. There are 6 bunks in each compartment unless you go 1st class when there are 4. The 1st class supplement is very little and worth paying. I think you may be able to reserve bunk numbers. Your best bet is to contact Rail Europe, they're very helpful their website is www.raileurope.co.uk, however not all the fares that are available are listed. For example I known that you can travel from London to Bourg St Maurice for £99.00 return but I never had that fare offered or seen it listed on their website, you can find it on the SNCF website but much easier to let rail Europe get it for you. We reccommend this service to our guests and quite a few have used it very happily.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have often gone to the Alps by Eurostar and "ski train" as offered by many UK tour operators. The usual format is a c. 17:00 Eurostar departure arriving Paris Gar du Nord c. 21:00 local time and then a dedicated "ski train", also from Gar du Nord, to Moutier and Bourg St Maurice leaving about 23:00. Accommodation is in couchettes in six berth compartments, there is also a bar car. Any time I have done it with a group we have ended up together but its probably best to check with the tour operator.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
So do the Operator arrange the transfer mentioned by David?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Simon (Mr T), you need an overnight train to the southern Alps, not the northern Alps. Ideally you want something to Grenoble, or next best, Lyon (I think). From memory, there are scheduled buses from Grenoble train station - I've certainly taken one to Les Deux Alpes, which is near Alpe d'Huez.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Operator is Skiworld,& it says it changes at Gard De Nord & Then onto Chambery.Should have said tha originally i suppose,but i lost the email they sent me.
Anyone done that?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Simon, It sounds like the same train it's called La Tarentaise and goes each night from Gare d'Austerlitz dropping off at the various stops, Chambery, Alberville, etc. You can check it out on www.sncf.com. according to the timetable it arrives in Chambery just after 0500 and the link to Grenoble takes about 1 hr. As DG says it's a bus then to Alpe d'Huez.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David@traxvax wrote:
the link to Grenoble takes about 1 hr. As DG says it's a bus then to Alpe d'Huez.

Nah... if it is a T.O. they will have a transfer bus at Chambery. You can't expect billies to change at Chamb then find a bus at Grenoble which may, or may not have space.

Still I can think of little worse than travelling to the Alps on a creaky SNCF train in a cramped six birth cabin. I think I'd sooner use Eurolines.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof, what do Eurolines offer, and what's the cost?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Eurolines do coach journeys all over Europe, they tend to be good value for money but if like myself you have long legs you may find the seats a little close, I've used them a few times in Summer (London Victoria coach station to Basle and Geneva) I'd take the train even at its increased price over the coach any time but it does depend on personal preferences
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Used to use Snowcoach alot,go to some nice places too,but my ski group in the end couldn't handle the long journey,so last year used Eurostar on the overnight direct to Aime (La Plagne).
Like i said though going to Alpe D,& to use train again involves a change & different train.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy