Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do resort ski shops have heaps of stock of helmets to rent or buy?

Poster: A snowHead
Just wondering, cos I want to get the 4 kids helmeted this year for fear of some idiot T-boning them or something while they're on the nursery slopes. Never bothered with helmets before, but thinking it might be a good idea. Do the resort shops usually have heaps of stock? And for helmets, is buying better than renting? I'm thinking if you rent a helmet you don't know if it's already been whacked badly.
And I'm a baldy - are helmets warm enuff for baldies? Wonder if I should wear one of them really thin fleece hats that fit under helmets.
Thanks all.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Helmets are very cheap in TK Maxx. I bought my son one for £18, similar to the I bought in Tignes for £70,
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We've not had a problem finding well fitting rental helmets for the nippers in N.America, Kitzbuhel and Tignes. The advantage of buying is that you know its history and that it fits well; if you get a deal, it might even be cheaper than renting if you're skiing for a few weeks. The disadvantage is obviously that the little blighters grow out of them in no time flat. We've been happy to sacrifice the benefits of buying to the great God Money Saving; a few years ago they'd have been skiing without a helmet at all, so they can consider themselves lucky.

I'm not bald, but a bit thin on top. I'd guess that you'd find a helmet warm enough without a liner even if you are a boiled egg; usually the problem is overheating, so one with closable vents is a good wheeze.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
petemillis, I guess it depends where you are going, but many resort shops seem to stock plenty of hire shops especially in kids sizes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
petemillis, If you are going to Italy helmets are a legal requirement for Kids. In France ESF will not let them in a class without a helmet.
Hire shops thus have lots of Hemets (unless it's half term week perhaps)
If you check the Items for sale on here I think you will find a real bargain in a childs helmet!! wink

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22446
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
boredsurfin, I was staring at your helmet just now. One of the kids I need one for is a 7yr old girl. Also 5 yr old boy with big head, 10 year old girl and 13 yr old girl. I suppose that Cebe might fit the 7yr old or the 5 yr old. I'll have a measure when they're back in from school.

richmond, I s'pose I was a bit worried about them growing out of things, but with a good chain of 4 for hand-me-downs it's not too bad. I do feel for my little boy though - he's getting a bit fed up with the girly coloured bicycles, frilly knickers and dresses!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is that deal in TK Maxx still on anyone know?

I ask because I was charged 19 euros per kid to rent over christmas so would rather buy at that price!

I have 2 more trips to go this year so actually cheaper to buy than rent.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
professorpool, I got some on ebay for me and kids that seemed a good deal <£20, they came with removable padding for fit and I think I've done a good job with its positioning, you ordered them by head circumference, and they were very speedily delivered - Although its an atrocious photo I'm wearing one in the snowheads photo gallery
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
petemillis wrote:
richmond, I s'pose I was a bit worried about them growing out of things, but with a good chain of 4 for hand-me-downs it's not too bad. I do feel for my little boy though - he's getting a bit fed up with the girly coloured bicycles, frilly knickers and dresses!

It's character building for him. We have twins, so twice the cost i none go and no hand me downs (and they're one of each).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I bought helmets for two of my daughters in Cervinia just after Christmas. They were given fairly free choice and I ended up paying €68 and €62. We didn't do in-depth research, but the cheapest (that they would have worn) was €30 and they went up, well over €120 (it was a rather tasty design though).

The number of shops in Cervinia (with each having a large stock of helmets) meant that buying was an absolute doddle and there was no need for them to have the same model/colour (a big plus for mine).

petemillis, I reckon my helmet keeps me warmer than a hat.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I bought a helmet in Whistler this year. It's taken me two years to find a shop that had a helmet in stock that fit my enormous bulbous head without making me look special.

If you do have a head like a watermelon, it can be quite hard to find a helmet to fit. I'm told that peaheaded people have the same problem.

I am still not entirely convinced that wearing a helmet makes me any safer when skiing, but as I was cartwheeling down between the rocks in Whistler on my first day, my resolve was sorely tested. Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
professorpool, I got two for my kids on saturday and they had loads left in my nearest TKmax at £12.99 each and they look good, they tend tyo sell serioussport kit which you can find on the web.

you could also try skidiscountwarehouse they sell big air helmets for the kids nearly as cheap.

TKmax also sell adults but there were only red CEBE ones left and it didn't suit my complextion, well it may as i haven't done any training for next weeks jollies , red face here i come Shock) Embarassed
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Right - tomorrow's sorted - off to Surf and Ski to see about the Conformable footbed, then to TKMaxx to see about helmets. Think I was supposed to be finishing revisions to chapter 2 of my thesis - stuff that till Monday or so. As they say - one day late, it may as well be 2 weeks late!
Kramer, how big is yours? Mine's 58 and that's hairless. I used to have big hair and I think it might have been about 60 odd then.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
petemillis, I don't know how big it is but in a Giro 10 I take an XXL.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kramer, Mr Medicine Ball! I thought you said your head was only like a watermelon Laughing
I've got a feeling I'll probably be an XL - trouble I have is that my head isn't round from above - it's sort of like a rugby ball I suppose - and I tend to get pressure on my forehead. I'll try some on tomorrow.
latest report
Bought helmets for the bins today. £32 for two from TK Maxx Woking.

Some as low as £9.99 though not in my kiids sizes.

At a tenner, that is cheaper than I paid to rent in Les Gets over Christmas.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy