Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bootbag........cabin luggage??

Poster: A snowHead
Boot bag........cabin luggage??
As it says on the tin...........

Of to Geneva/ La Plagne Saturday with Sleazyjet out of Bournemouth and wondered if my boot bag will be accepted as cabin luggage?
Anyone know?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi

Defintely not at Liverpool so am assuming policy is the same?. I was told ok by Easyjet then turned back at security. Luckily the guys were great and took me back through otherwise I would have missed flight.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If the bag complies with the size/shape, then you should be ok. If it's a standard shaped boot bag - i.e. one boot beside the other, then officially that is not allowed.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What about 1 boot in your hand luggage as I did before the latest security hike. It was the best way to keep weight down in check in luggage. I am not sure it will work this time.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BAA max dimensions: 56x45x25cm
Easyjet max dimensions: 55x40x20cm
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
How about wearing your ski boots through security and putting a pair of shoes in your hand luggage? snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hmmmmmmmm

Thanks for the advice gents.........

Just given Sleazy another tenner Sad Sad Sad

Still, I'll be sliding on Sunday Little Angel Little Angel Little Angel
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jab10001, I think that is a superb idea - anyone got any reasons not to do this?!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We've always put boots in ski/board bag with 2 pairs of skis or skis and board and all bulky extras(towels, jeans etc). Never been questioned once. Usually get the quip,"you got a dead body in there" or similar. They're a bit more strict the last couple of years about how much the ski bag can way,(baggage handlers getting injured, or so I've been told) which is usually 32kgs now on the flights where they've been bothered about the weight.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Supplementary question.....................

Is my hold baggage weight allowance still stuck at 20kgs even though I've paid for the extra bag?

Think I'm getting screwed here rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Slowplough, I suspect yes. That seems to be the case if you have to pay a supplement fo ran extra bag on BMI, anyway.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Please check mate. I was specifically told I couldnt board as the boots constituted a security risk. They hd to go in the hold. The guy admitted it was madness, but said rules were rules.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
roger1000, was it the airline or the airport that said so, and if so, who/where?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My mate carried his boots on as hand luggage on an Easyjet flight from Geneva to Liverpool yesterday.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Received this from easyjet. If you've paid the £15 for your skis, then you are allowed a boot bag too, provided your checked in luggage (normal bag, ski bag and boot bag(s) are 32kg or less. I told them that my check in was 20kg. Soon see.

Thank you for your email regarding your skis.

I can confirm that each passenger is allowed a maximum hold baggage weight of 50 kilos including any sports equipment, subject to available space. As items of sporting equipment are inherently unsuitable for carriage by airlines, easyJet is prepared to carry such items on a 'limited release' (i.e. entirely 'at your own risk' for damage or delay) basis. You may therefore wish to ensure that you have suitable private insurance cover in force for such items.

Payment of the additional fee of £15.00 increases your checked-in hold baggage allowance (including additional item) to a maximum weight of 32kgs. Where your total checked-in hold baggage weighs more than 32Kgs, normal excess baggage charges of £5.00 per kilogram shall apply in addition to the fee.
In the light of the above, I can confirm that as long as your skis and boot bag are within the allowed allowance of 12kgs, you will not be charged any excess weight.
I hope that this information helps. For more information, please click on the link http://www.easyjet.com/en/Book/regulations.html#baggage.

Just to advise, for quick reference this question and many more can be answered under the "Let us help you" section in the left bottom corner of our website.

Thanks again for contacting us Mr .......... If you need any further help, please don't hesitate to contact us again, either by phone on 0871 244 2366 (calls cost 10p per minute; calls from mobiles and other networks may cost more) or via the contact us section of the easyJet web site.

Yours sincerely

Petra
latest report
We've done our own bootbags, Easyjet Orange and black with the shop logo on for our travelling clients. A client contacted me as we caused complete chaos at Liverpool airport week following new year, when off the baggage carousel, 13 identical Footworks bootbags rolled of one after another. Confusion and war broke out over who's were who's.
Thats publicity you just can't buy! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, do they still have Lange zippers on them?
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, A Cinderella moment at Liverpool:13 bootbags, 13 passengers and not one could find a boot to fit wink,
snow report
I'm imagining Harry Enfield's Scousers now. Laughing
snow conditions
Petra at Easyjet wrote:

I can confirm that each passenger is allowed a maximum hold baggage weight of 50 kilos including any sports equipment, subject to available space. As items of sporting equipment are inherently unsuitable for carriage by airlines, easyJet is prepared to carry such items on a 'limited release' (i.e. entirely 'at your own risk' for damage or delay) basis. You may therefore wish to ensure that you have suitable private insurance cover in force for such items.

Payment of the additional fee of £15.00 increases your checked-in hold baggage allowance (including additional item) to a maximum weight of 32kgs. Where your total checked-in hold baggage weighs more than 32Kgs, normal excess baggage charges of £5.00 per kilogram shall apply in addition to the fee.
In the light of the above, I can confirm that as long as your skis and boot bag are within the allowed allowance of 12kgs, you will not be charged any excess weight.
I hope that this information helps. For more information, please click on the link http://www.easyjet.com/en/Book/regulations.html#baggage.

So - you can take Skis (up to 12kg) Boots (up to 12kg), and Bag (up to 32kg), up to a maxium total of 50kg for the three, if you pay ski carriage?
latest report
I read that as £15 to boost your old baggage allowance to 32 kg, then £5/kg up to a max of 50 kg (i.e. £105 total baggage cost). Maybe there's another interpretation - it's not very clear!
snow report
laundryman, I read it like you.
Max is 32kg in total once you've paid the £15. i.e. 20kg standard + 12kg additional, and this 12kg can be made up of just skis, or skis & boots.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, Yes, yours was a sample though! Toofy Grin
snow report
Hm -well that sucks Sad Now I've read it your way, it does seem like it'll be that. Two pairs of skis + a pair of boots must weigh like 20kg alone.. isn't this a bit mission impossible?

(OT: I've been looking at buying luggage to take skiing that's suitable for weeks and seasons - I think I can pack light enough for that to work! - but the 120l dakine ones seem to weigh 4kg alone! what kind of litreage is the norm, and if the bag weighs 4kg how does anyone ever not pay thru the nose on weight issues??)
latest report
Are the ski bags weighed as I thought they were sent to an oversize luggage point after any other luggage you bring has been checked in?
ski holidays
I rang BA the other day regarding ski boots in hand-luggage and asked them specifically if security would allow it, they told me as long as it fitted in my hand luggage they'd be fine (max 56x45x25cm). Apparently they no longer have a weight limit, except what you can lift into the overhead locker.
ski holidays
stuarth, that would confirm my earlier post.
(oh, and I've had no problems with Air France at Gatwick, Strasbourg, Paris, or JFK using my 56x45x25cm bag)
snow report
Peter Ross, generally they are not weighed, but you need to get the bag tag put on them, which might involve setting them on the scales.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, how much are your hand luggage sized boot bags and do you deliver? Neh Neh
snow report
Coming back from Calgary last Saturday, the airport was trying to be very strict with luggage allowance.

Basically when a group checked in they were putting all the luggage onto the scales at once to check that the group wasn't over their allowance. This included skis and boards.

All very well for couples or families of four. All their luggage could fit on the scales at once.

However we were a group of seven. The check in person started to pile things up. It all wouldn't fit. So then he tried piling the first lot up behind him whilst he weighed the second lot. There was still a third lot waiting to go on.
At this point he gave up trying to weigh anything. Stuck labels on everything and let us go.
Just as well really as I think we may have been over!
snow report
Took my boots as hand luggage out of Stansted on RyanAir in December no problem ... after reading this I'm gonna put one of them in my hold luggage for this afternoon's EasyJet trip from the same airport.
ski holidays
RichA, why only one?
snow report
Blindside,
Quote:

My mate carried his boots on as hand luggage on an Easyjet flight from Geneva to Liverpool yesterday.

Yeah but the swiss just want rid of you.
Liverpool-Geneva is probably a differnet matter. Scouse airport security, well balanced individuals - a chip on both shoulders Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Had no problems with boots in a ' standard' size hand luggage case flying Bristol/Toulouse return with easyjet the weekend before xmas.
snow report
My interpretation of Petra's email to me is:
pay the £15, you get a 'free' alowance of 32kg (up from previous 'free' of 20kg).
This could be:
Skibag: 20kg
Bootbag: 5kg
Luggage: 7kg
Total: 32kg

Not be practical but may explain EJ policy....?

Point is she does state that bootbag can be checked in with skibag and luggage, provided - you've paid the £15 and total weight is 32kg or less.
snow report
Ah, sod it. I'm going to take my boots and overnight stuff in the boot bag, with one of those bag-in-a-pocket things, so that if I get told to check my boots in, at least I can just unzip the "cagoule bag" and tip all my O/N stuff into it - easily fits on as hand baggage.

It's a nonsense, isn't it? I wish they'd all make one rule and stick to it. I've been able to fly on EasyJet planes with my roll-on "cabin baggage" suitcase, but because it's slightly curved, and doesn't fit in their cage, other airlines have made me check it in. I've got on the plane to find that their overhead bins are enormous, and could have easily accommodated my suitcase.

Now I have the situation where my boot bag is 43 x 40 x 25 cm, rather than the 55 x 40 x 20 cm Swiss recommends.

Think this calls for an early check-in, so that if ground crew say it's ok (and the handling agent at Manchester said boots for that airline were ok as hand luggage) but I get stopped by security, it won't be the end of the world. What a palaver.
latest report
Easyjet confirmed to me that boots are OK as hand luggage if they fit the size limit. Last year I put mine in my rucksack, one inverted over the other.
I am not so sure if it is right you can put a ski bag and boot bag in the hold for your £15. When I asked last year 3 different Easyjet advisers told me 3 different things. They seem incapable of giving a straight answer to e mails.
snow report
Ryan Air to Salzburg today

"Each passenger is permitted to carry one piece of hand luggage to a maximum
weight of 10kgs and with dimensions no greater than 55cm x 40cm x 20cm. In order
that you and your baggage can be accepted for travel, please ensure that baggage
is within the required weight and dimensions to carry on board."

"As per the revision to our Terms and Conditions of Travel on the 3rd July 2006,
the maximum checked baggage allowance for each passengers travelling from the
1st November 2006 onwards is 15kg per person(baggage fees apply)"

"Passengers may not use the unused checked baggage allowance of other passengers.
No pooling/sharing of the checked baggage allowance is permitted, even within a
party travelling on the same Confirmation Number. "

Basically you pay per bag, pay extra per kg if you exceed 15kg. This is in addition to paying for your skis/board separatelyat fiteen quid each way. Worth noting that you can not pool your allowance so one bag at 10 kg and one bag at 20 kg for a couple travelling will be 5kg over weight and subject to the relevant charge !!

Worth thinking about these things in advance and try to pack accordingly !

My coffin wheelie board bag can take all my gear and clothes and is only 25kg ish which did not cause a problem with Easy jet in Dec 06
snow conditions
Quote:

Blindside, Quote:

Yeah but the swiss just want rid of you.
Liverpool-Geneva is probably a differnet matter. Scouse airport security, well balanced individuals - a chip on both shoulders

but just to confuse the issue, none of our party of 6 were charged extra for bootbags on the outbound flight from Liverpool but I WAS charged 20 Swiss Francs or something like that for my bootbag on the way back. I also had a rucksack as carry on (both ways) as we have a 20 month old daughter. I was expecting to pay on the way out and not the way back, but it actually happened the other way around. Normally Geneva are more flexible.

It just shows that noone knows what to do, or whether the rule will be enforced one way, both ways or not at all.
latest report
I'm taking a copy of the eJ email with me to check-in, jic. If anyone wants a copy, just pm me.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy