Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Norway

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Trying to book something for half term (I know late and you'll be lucky) - have given up on anywhere in Austria as it appears to be fully booked at least at affordable prices and then had a quick swing towards Sweden but have been persuaded against that for lack of height/scenery/atmosphere so Norway it is? Don't seem to be many resort reports out there though - presume because dedicated snowheads don't venture up there? We are advanced beginners so just need a compact ski area and no apres ski (kids) (not dull people!)

Anyone got anything good to say about Norway?!! Thanks in advance for any advice or reasons to steer clear!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sally s, probably not that useful as we've only been in Summer, but it really is a lovely place! Yes, it's ridiculously expensive (eg £10 for a Nacho starter in TGI) - but if Apres Ski's not for you then you won't be spending a fortune on Beer.
Lillehammer's ski area is a bus ride away, but the town also has plenty to do - Olympic Bobsled (a real thrill ride) & Ski Jump (watching) & ice rink & Olympic Museum etc. We stayed at the Molla Hotel for a few nights, which Ski Crystal uses in winter. I'd like to ski there.

Hope you work something out!
CD.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sally s, Great family place for the kids, they really put an emphasis on the family. Prices are not that expensive (accepted that I live in the Rip off republic!!) with the excetption of alcohol. Bring your fair share of duty free with you, if you really need it.

Most ski areas are not as extensive as resorts in France for example but the scenery is wonderful. People are friendly, and you should have a great time.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sally s, Let us have a detailed report if you go, I'm interested in trying Norway for a change.

Not sure how old your kids are, but I don't believe they will start them in Ski School there until at least 6? May be completely wrong, just recall reading it somewhere.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Depends what type of skiing you are looking for. I've done two trips to Norway one to Susjoen (above Lillehammer) and one to Valdres. Both occasions I was xc skiing and/or touring. But there were small downhill slopes nearby. I like Norway, the scenery is good, the xc country was good, the accomodation was cheap (the alcohol was expensive!). I had an enjoyable weeks skiing on both occasions.

In Valdres we hired the hut from:
http://www.valdres-hytteutleie.no/

Other usefull web sites
http://www.visitvaldres.no/uk/index.html

The local downhill slope
http://skinorway.no/index.php?id=6

and there were others within driving distance.

in Sjusjoen we booked a hut through these people:

http://www.sjusjoen.no/eng/index.html

There is also a link to the local downhill slope and I assume there is more downhill skiing at Lillehammer. The day we skiied from Sjusjoen to Lillehammer it was definitley downhill almost all the way - it took us most of the morning and then we caught a bus back (cheating really we should have skiied back aswell!)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
i've been to Voss - great place if you want to leisurely cruise a few slopes, no good if you want high mileage or much of a challenge. perfect for relaxing. easy access to slopes from cable car next to railway station, and hardly anyone there, so on several slopes you are the only person on it.

downsides are expense - a beer was about £5 for half a pint and on a saturday you will see some of the most drunken people you are ever likely too, by about 2pm! ( the locals)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sally s, we've been to Geilo several times and really enjoyed it in our early years of skiing. The extent of the runs is not great, but adequate unless you are into clocking up the miles. The instruction tended to be very relaxed and informal and the groups not too large. One year, on the smaller Vestlia side, our group was just the three of us and the instructor. There is a bus between the two sides of the valley.

Alcohol is expensive, but otherwise we thought Norway was great.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for these replies - for us as relative beginners it looks a good option as a large ski area with challenging slopes and extensive lift passes is going to be wasted on us - will post a report if we go certainly.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sally s,
This previous thread about Geilo may be of use
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy