Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Xscape Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Who can tell me anything about how to get the best out of a learn-to-ski-in-a-day-thingy at Castleford Xscape? How do I make sure I get a really good teacher, and really do learn something? Can anyone recommend someone by name? Or who to avoid...?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sarah42, Unless you have a one to one course your are unlikely to be able to specify your teacher. I ski at castleford 2 or 3 time a month and have had a level 5 lesson on carving there, the course was for 10 people I was the only one who turned up so I had a one to one lesson. Grat teaching and I would go for a lesson again.

To get the most out of the day you need to practice as soon as you can after the day lesson so you dont forget what you learn.

How long before your lesson? lets us know how it goes because I have some freiends looking at the ski in a day course.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sarah42,

I can't comment about the quality of the instruction at Castleford but at £150 it better be damned good!

My advice would be to do the same course at the Swadlincote dryslope for £55 or at the Sheffield dryslope for £75. Sheffield allows you to retake the level 4 class f.o.c if you don't quite grasp it on the day.

I did the Swad one in January and the tuition was excellent & my pal did it yesterday was also very impressed. The saving can be put towards further tuition which could be at Castleford for the on-snow experience.

The hourly rate for classes at Castleford is virtually the same as at the dryslopes so why the Ski-in-a-day class is so expensive I've no idea - well yes I have, commercial greed I think.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sarah42, I'd second spyderjon's suggestion. The learner area at Sheffield is snowflex - which doesn't hurt too much when you fall over.

Depending on where you are based (ie is there a slope within easy travelling distance), then I would consider doing the lessons 1 or 2 at a time rather than all in one day. That way, you won't be as tired, and will build up gradually.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi,

I was looking at the ski [and board] in a day at Xscape, though since I have been skiing before on both dry and real snow [albeit 10yrs ago!] I am thinking to take the fast-track which is 'only' 68ukp. Puzzled

IMO 8hrs is too long to be learning a new skill - better short lessons with practise, of course a problem if u are travelling a long way! Sad

Sarah42 - if u do the 'ski in a day' please post your experiences - and have fun!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
nks487, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks, Elizabeth! Blush
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sarah42, Couple of thoughts. 1) Dress warmly - it's VERY cold in there. 2) Expect to be shattered by the end of the day, this type of course is very tiring. 3) Assuming you don't go on holiday the next day - go back and do some practise later.

As some other folks have mentioned it's a lot to do in one day. If you can, aim to have fun and enjoy yourself. Don't worry about the outcome, you will (everbody does) learn to ski, and learning is much more fun if you enjoy yourself !
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I did the learn to ski in a day at MK a few years ago and got very little from it considering the cost. If cost doesn't matter then go for it, otherwise i'd consider trying a dry slope - if you can master a dry slope before you go, snow will be a doddle.

When in resort I would recommend a morning of 1-1 lessons to get you going. It'll be cheaper than in this country and you'll benefit alot more. Alternative is ski school - but i've never learnt anything from attending these.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sarah42,

I was tempted by the 'snowboard in a day' at Castleford until I read some of the later posts here and of course I was always thinking after a few hours u are going to stop learning anything!

Took a look at Rossendale; 3hr45min beginners board course for 46ukp and a Ski course for 40ukp.

I know where I am going to learn the snowboard basics! Get the intro. course on dry then some coaching at Xscape! on snow.

Neil
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy