Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Just cancelled my holiday to Niederau!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi just discovered this site, while desparately looking for hope for snow in Niederau from 20th to 27th Jan. Was there last year, learning to ski - fantastic weather, great snow and lovely instructors - so we booked again and can't believe how little snow there is now. Not sure what to do about ski school and passes because it looks like there are only limited runs open and for people like me who are novices, some of the stuff still looks too scary. Any tips, thoughts etc welcome.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi alex_heney, Super Eagle, Purplegirl!!!

We are flying from Stansted to Innsbruck and staying at the Hotel Austria.

We were also in Niederau this week January last year, learning to ski!
What a difference a year makes, there was over a metre of snow the same time last year!
The Red ski school were fantastic, skied blues, reds and the black by the end of first week skiing.
We loved it so much last year persuaded a couple of "first timer" friends to join us this year.
Would be happy to met up with other Snowheads.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Everyone Happy

OK, we are spread over at least three hotels, and nobody knows what each other looks like, AFAIK.

If we are going to meet up at all, it might be useful to have some idea, so I've put up a photo in the mugshots area of the snowMedia Zone, http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/5409

Or one of those who have been to the resort before could suggest a time and place. I think I'm the only one of the four of us in this thread who has not been there before.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
alex_heney,

How about at the bottom of the Gondala at 9.30 am on the Sunday 21st January. Just by the entrance there is a big wooden fenced area. For those stopping at the Austria its straight across the road. In fact nothing is too far away from the Gondala entrance.

I have some photos posted here of me and Chucky:-

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/145/sl/s

I will be wearing the same jacket but now I wear a helmet to protect what little brains I have left. It also has a snowheads sticker on the front of the helmet so I will be easy to spot.

It would be good if Muffin and PurpleGirl could make up the group.

P.s My skis are bright orange Fischer RX8s also with snow head stickers on so I am willing to act as the focal point.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
purplegirl, Don't be too scared of the ice. I know people get a bit worried because of the sound it makes and the noise of everyone passing you.

Trust your skis. If they have been serviced properly then the edges will do the job of gripping the snow. Also keep your weight central so that your are using the front of the skis to initiate the turn. Then make sure you are bending your knees to shift the weight from on each leg in the turn and Bobs your uncle.

Many people also believe that this means leaning forward which is partly correct ( However you don't want to be too far forward ) but in fact all you are doing is keeping your body weight central to the skis.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
purplegirl, as the Big Bird says wink it is all about technique. Get some lessons and learn to use carving skis properley and you WILL be able to control on ice.

EDIT: Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed A big welcome oh brightly coloured bint wink

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 17-01-07 23:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
purplegirl, By the way sorry didn't say earlier WELCOME TO SNOWHEADS. snowHead snowHead snowHead

Frosty missed it too so you must think we're a bit ignorant. Definitely not the case and there's no bravado stuff here. All good fun.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Super Eagle wrote:
alex_heney,

How about at the bottom of the Gondala at 9.30 am on the Sunday 21st January. Just by the entrance there is a big wooden fenced area. For those stopping at the Austria its straight across the road. In fact nothing is too far away from the Gondala entrance.

Sounds good to me. I'll print off thei message to remind me.

Quote:

I have some photos posted here of me and Chucky:-

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/145/sl/s

I will be wearing the same jacket but now I wear a helmet to protect what little brains I have left. It also has a snowheads sticker on the front of the helmet so I will be easy to spot.

That should help Smile

Quote:
It would be good if Muffin and PurpleGirl could make up the group.

It would. It's always more fun with a few of you, even if you have all never met before.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You can always exchange mobile numbers by PM, just in case plans change
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi everyone, thank you for all your replies! I too learnt with the red school last year. I need the tuition to build my confidence, but only tried a red twice on the last day of the holiday - so hope I haven't forgotten everything this year.

I will be sorting out ski hire and ski school on Sunday am - but will look out for you all at the rendevous point. Me and N. are staying at the Sonneschien, flying from Glasgow. N. is a better skier than me so I don't expect to see much of him during the day. It's still going to be a bit weird seeing so much green though - hey just like Scotland, skiing on grass!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi all!

Will see if we can meet you all on the Sunday - we have group lessons booked for the week and they start at 10am. Have posted some pictures of us on the mediazone - hopefully that link works.

I'll PM my mobile number to Alex & Eagle too just in case.

Bring on the snow!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
purplegirl, I believe that Alex is stopping at the sonneschein
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
purplegirl, Sorry just looked and hes staying at the schneeberger.

Anyway as I pointed out earlier I don't know yet whether Chucky will be joining Ski School or not. We will leave it to the last minute to decide. Anyway it's only a couple of meters from the entrance of the Gondala to the ski school meeting place.

N is more than welcome to Join us and I have PM'd Alex, Muffin and Yourself my mobile number.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Muffin wrote:

Have posted some pictures of us on the mediazone - hopefully that link works.

Yep that works, thanks.

Where was the Neiderau photo taken? I'm guessing near the top of lift E, looking down run 21 towards the restaurant marked on the map, but I could be wrong!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
alex_heney, No alex your correct.

I don't think we're going to get conditions like that this year.

Weather forecast states :- Neiderau's site states temperatures of max 4 degrees and a low of -2 degress upto Monday with sunny conditions.

SCGB 6 Day forecast stated this morning light snow showers starting Sunday and upto and inc Tuesday with temperaturers down to -12.

I don't know who to believe. Sad Sad Sad
latest report
http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=145

The 1st photo in the clip shows the same piste and the 2nd shows just how much snow there was last year
snow conditions
Super Eagle wrote:
alex_heney, No alex your correct.

I don't think we're going to get conditions like that this year.

Weather forecast states :- Neiderau's site states temperatures of max 4 degrees and a low of -2 degress upto Monday with sunny conditions.

SCGB 6 Day forecast stated this morning light snow showers starting Sunday and upto and inc Tuesday with temperaturers down to -12.

I don't know who to believe. Sad Sad Sad

Well looking at four different forecats, they are showing four different sets of details.

All seem to agree that it is likley to rain tomorrow, although the metcheck one has that turning to snow overnight, then stopping. That then shows snow every day from Sunday - Thursday, but only Wednesday with a lot.

The one on the J2Ski site is fairly similar, but lower amounts of snow.

The Wetter.at one has a bit of rain this afternoon, which didn't happen, rain tomorrow, then snow Sunday-Thursday every day.

The snow-forecast one only goes to Sunday (without subscription), but that is showing rather heavy rain for tomorrow, then a little snow Saturday night/sunday morning.

So long as the rain doesn't make it much worse than it is now, and we get some snow, I'll be happy(ish). It is the rain that worries me, because that gets rid of snow much quicker than sun does Sad
snow report
I don't want to start panicking but watching the Austrian TV Channels this morning which shows the ski resorts the conditions look really bad. The rain today is very heavy and they interrupted the webcam shots to give a special weather bullitin.

I don't speak German but I understand min 8 degrees and max 14 degrees with storm force winds and very heavy rain.

As alex says its not so much the sun. Most of Neideraus slopes actually face north and do not get direct sunlight on them but the heavy rain will strip what little snow is left on them.

Who is everyone travellling with. We are with Thompson.

I wonder if they will be offering any trips to higher resorts as a guarantee to ski policy. Mayerhofen is only about an hour away and that as glacial skiing. Sad Sad Sad Sad
snow report
Were with Thompsons too. The Niederau web cam looks very bad also - the top of the Markbackjoch looks like its taken a battering, and there is water on the Schatzbergbahn! The weather forecast on www.wildschoenau.com also looks poor - no snow forecast there at all!

Ah well, at least its a holiday!
latest report
That is what I was worried about. Sad

There is only one run open in the whole valley now. All the neiderau and oberau lifts are closed. Crying or Very sad

All the forecasts are still showing snow rom Sunday onwards, but how long before it will be enough to ski on, I don't know.

I'm with Thomsons as well.
snow report
Super Eagle wrote:

Who is everyone travellling with. We are with Thompson.

I wonder if they will be offering any trips to higher resorts as a guarantee to ski policy. Mayerhofen is only about an hour away and that as glacial skiing.

I have a brochure here, and I can't find anything in it at all about what happens if thre is no snow Sad
ski holidays
Hi guys, we are also with Thomsons. Tried to contact them to find out whether they will give us any other trips but the call centre keeps telling me to call back later. Looks like this will be a walking holiday!!!
latest report
purplegirl wrote:
Hi guys, we are also with Thomsons. Tried to contact them to find out whether they will give us any other trips but the call centre keeps telling me to call back later. Looks like this will be a walking holiday!!!

There will be skiing by midweek (Hopefully even by Monday, but almost certainly something by Tuesday), even if still not brilliant. Temperatures from Sunday onwards should allow the snow guns to operate, as well as what is falling out of the sky.

But I'm certainly taking my walking boots.
snow report
purplegirl, I called Thomsons about 2 weeks ago - they said they would not change the booking or even location. The only way would be to cancel and rebook! Which, frankly, sucks, but there you go. Anyway, everyone remember its still a holiday, which is a good thing!
snow report
Muffin, Hi thanks for the tip - can't afford to waste work time hanging on the telephone like Blondie anyway. These are the limitations of the package deals. N and I do our own thing in the summer, touring on motorbike which means we can change plans if we want -perhaps it's a lesson for future ski booking hols to keep it last minute! By the way, I have noted mobile numbers, can't work out how to send in mine but will send a text in resort. Meet up in the pub??
snow report
purplegirl wrote:
By the way, I have noted mobile numbers, can't work out how to send in mine but will send a text in resort. Meet up in the pub??

To send messages yourself, go to the read/send messages link at the top of the screen, then once on that screen, there are two oval shapes containing the words "new message" just above and below your list of messages (not very obvious).
ski holidays
Muffin, purplegirl, alex_heney,

I had already packed my walking boots but I would like to think that they will arrange a trip to a nearby high resort.
ski holidays
alex_heney, purplegirl, Muffin, can't believe it. Just rung Thompson and they answered straight away.

They have confirmed that although the accommodation will stay the same they will be offering to bus us to alternative resorts for skiing.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Super Eagle, wow, sounds good, although where nearby has snow??? I take it we would need to buy passes for those places too though. I hope the ski school people would come with us.
latest report
Muffin, Don't quote me fully on this but this is how I believe it to work.

If you have already paid for you lift pass then the cost will be refunded for the days you are unable to ski in resort. You will however have to buy lift passes for the new resort.

I would think the most likely place to take us would be Mayorhoffen as this as a glacier and the snow is actually very good there. It is only about 45min to an hour away but it will mean earlier starts and finishes due to the bus journey and obviously all the other resorts will be sending everyone there.

I don't think the ski schools will be covered to operate in other resorts so if you are a complete beginner then unfortunately you will probably not be skiing at all and again the cost of your ski school will be refunded again for the days you are unable to ski in resort with your ski school.

If we do get buses to another resort then don't worry we can all ski with the SH group. Ability will not matter, as I have said here before there is no bravado.
ski holidays
Super Eagle wrote:

I would think the most likely place to take us would be Mayorhoffen as this as a glacier and the snow is actually very good there. It is only about 45min to an hour away but it will mean earlier starts and finishes due to the bus journey and obviously all the other resorts will be sending everyone there.

Another possibility would be the Stubai glacier. That has the most snow of anywhere within an hour and a half.

But it is about 25 Km further than Mayrhofen.
[EDIT]
But almost exactly the same distance as Hintertux, which I presume is the Glacier you meant for Mayrhofen.
latest report
Super Eagle wrote:
I don't think the ski schools will be covered to operate in other resorts so if you are a complete beginner then unfortunately you will probably not be skiing at all and again the cost of your ski school will be refunded again for the days you are unable to ski in resort with your ski school.

Hmm, that would be a pain, especially for our first timer friends - they only have their initial 4 hrs at Tamworth under their belts. I wonder how busy the glaciers will get? Ah well, the name of the game is flexibility and we'll just have to take it as it comes!

How much has everyone else skiied? We did two weeks last year in group classes. We've prebooked our lessons but were going to purchase a lift pass in resort - Thomsons add an extra £15 quid on for the pleasure. And we have new skis!
ski holidays
Muffin wrote:

How much has everyone else skiied? We did two weeks last year in group classes. We've prebooked our lessons but were going to purchase a lift pass in resort - Thomsons add an extra £15 quid on for the pleasure. And we have new skis!

Your own skis when you have only skied two weeks? That is keen Very Happy

I regard myself as a reasonable intermediate level skier, although I only have five/six weeks of skiing under my belt. I have my own skis (used for one week last January in the Dolomites), but only because I won them in a website competition.

I'm comfortable on pretty well any red, and will expect to get down most pisted blacks, but often not with much elegance!

I haven't prebooked anything - I was thinking of getting a 7 day pass, because my flight doesn't leave next week until 15:45, which probably means the transfer leaving Neiderau about mid day.
ski holidays
alex_heney, Thomsons will have you at the airport 3hrs min before your flight leaves.
ski holidays
Hi fellow Niederau skiers - here is my update. I contacted my web bookers who contacted Thomson for me and it seems that Thomson will try to accommodate buses to other resorts but no definates about this until we arrive at our hotel. N and I were intending to book ski hire, tuition and lift passes when we get there. I am not going to do this until I am sure I will be skiing. I think we will organise this direct rather than via the rep's hard sell on arrival. Regarding the instruction I emailed the red ski school and they said its no problem to pick up lessons mid-week. So I hope there will be some snow in Niederau at least by the end of the week.
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee, It was only just two hours before the flight last year in the Dolomites.

But obviously, I ask on the arrival bus what time the departure bus is likely to leave (I know they won't be precise until the day before).

Even a couple of hours on the Saturday might be worth it.
snow conditions
Hi Everyone

Well I've just got in from work. The computer system decided to crash at 16.45 and guess what time I was due to finish !!!!!!!!!!!!!.

The systems still not right but at least we have managed to sort production out until Monday morning and then it will be someone else's problem for 1 week.

Strubai is another alternative so well have to wait and see what's on offer.

Chucky is Intermediate and will ski all reds but she hasn't tackled any blacks yet. I will ski anything except moguls ( my knees are old ) but I also loose technique on very steep terrain.

We are due to fly at 14.30 tomorrow so I will be checking the TV in the morning.
snow report
Super Eagle, When we were out there a few years back now, we were bused to both Sthubi and Axamer Litzum. We were with Thomsons, but it was Neilsons (snow sure booking) that provided the bus and as there were spaces we could pay for a seat. I haven't read all of this thread - are you staying in Niederau, we were in Oberau the next village Confused
snow report
IncogSkiSno, No staying in Niederau with Thomsons.

All I know is that Thomsons switchboard confirmed that they will be providing buses to other resorts. However Thomsons do not have a guarantee to ski policy like Nielsons so until we arrive and find out what is really happening then it's fingers crossed.

Unfortunately even the slopes in Alfach have had what ever snow they had washed away with todays rain.
ski holidays
Super Eagle, ah, it is all very sad, and you also have to feel for all those involved, especially the locals who must be suffering with trade etc. It is such a pretty area and the locals are extremely friendly, a great shame if you don't get the snow soon. Sad

Have a great holiday snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy