Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Just cancelled my holiday to Niederau!!!

Poster: A snowHead
After a few sleepless nights I made the decision.

We were booked to go to Niederau this Saturday(13th), but looking at the metcheck forecast & webcams we’d be lucky to find any snow at all by the time we got there, so with a heavy heart I cancelled Sad

Then I promptly re-booked for Livigno instead (same dates) Very Happy .

I was only charged £50 re-booking fee so I’m fairly happy – as long as the snow doesn’t do a disappearing act in Livigno that is!!!

Will hopefully report back to the forum on conditions once I'm out there and can find a internet cafe.

-Mike
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mikeb2168, Good work - i'm off to livigno at the end of Feb so an intruiged as to what it's like.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mikeb2168, Crikey who did you book with?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mikeb2168, share the name of your accomodating TO or whatever with us; they deserve a plug.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mikeb2168, gosh - that's got me thinking now. With snow depths currently of 2/28 cms, Kitzbuhel isn't looking too hot. Hmmmm, some investigation needed here me thinks......
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stevec wrote:
mikeb2168, Good work - i'm off to livigno at the end of Feb so an intruiged as to what it's like.

Livigno is fine at the moment:

http://www.livigno.com/en/sport/verificare/meteo/index.htm
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well Crystal say I cant change and its 90% cancellation charge! Never mind- Ive got 3 trips booked at varying times this year and theres some snow forecast! thank god theres a spa and lots of bars and shops!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
that's nothing this Austrian woman had to cancel her own funeral
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_2150092.html?menu=
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hmm, I'm going there on the 20th - as everyone else has asked, which Tour Op. did you book with?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB, Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mikeb2168, you'll enjoy this report of Livigno from the start of January - its in German but the great pictures speak for themselves Smile

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19823
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thanks for that markus, im heading off in two weeks and thats reassuring Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Inghams won't re-book and have no plans to bus people to other resorts from Kitzbuhel (though I don't know where they'd bus them to ..... wink , it was worth asking though!) I eventually got through to their Austria Dept and when I said the snow was very poor there with depths of 27 cms on the upper slopes she asked where I was getting my information from rolling eyes rolling eyes er, try Kitzbuhel's website rolling eyes . Oh, and of course snowHeads! snowHead Very Happy Looks like I have to really start praying to the snow fairies Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snow fairies

Now that's an interesting concept................... Shocked
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Muffin wrote:
Hmm, I'm going there on the 20th - as everyone else has asked, which Tour Op. did you book with?

I'm going on the 20th as well - with Thomson.

I don't think they will allow me to change Sad

Just keep praying to Ullr!
ski holidays
The Austrians loves the Brits & Irish as there the only ones turning up !

There is a saying "Mad Dogs And Englishmen go out in the Midday sun" There must be something similar for Going to Ski Resorts with Green Hills Very Happy
latest report
Thats not nice stanton. We are in the same boat as alex_heney, and Thomson's won't even do a resort change. Some people aren't made of money and can't just chop and change no matter what. Even if this is meant to be a light hearted post, as has been said over and over you come across as rubbing peoples faces in the fact that some people are suffering. Give it a break, please.

Probably see you there alex_heney Smile
snow report
cathy, You can almost never ski to the village in Kitzbuhel anyway - i'ts on 700m or something, but Pas Thurn (sp?) is high and you should get good skiing there. Last time I was in Kitz, we went there every day on the bus and had a really nice time. Very Happy

Muffin, go anyway - it's bound to be better than you think. Even if there's no skiing (and there's bound to be a bit) then there will be loads of other things to do and it will be a holiday. Very Happy

I think this is a warning about TOs though. If you book independently you can rent a car and drive around. With a TO you're stuck in resort once you get there unless they make alternative arrangements.

We're starting to see a number of "foreign" instructors here, so obviously peeps are coming from out of the Oisans...
ski holidays
Muffin wrote:
Thats not nice stanton. We are in the same boat as alex_heney, and Thomson's won't even do a resort change. <snip>

Probably see you there alex_heney Smile

I expect so.

Where are you staying? I'm in the Hotel Schneeberger (by myself - my wife doesn't ski).
snow report
easiski wrote:
cathy, You can almost never ski to the village in Kitzbuhel anyway - i'ts on 700m or something, but Pas Thurn (sp?) is high and you should get good skiing there. Last time I was in Kitz, we went there every day on the bus and had a really nice time. Very Happy

I've visited Kitzbuhel about 6 times and only once has skiing back to town not been possible (I'm not sure tha it wasn't, but the snow was not good and we went up to Pas Thurn every day, so I didn't see the home runs). The runs down to town are not the greatest in Kitzbuhel, especially at the end of the day; I enjoy the gondola ride. Pass Thurn is indeed a good spot, although it takes a while to get to on the bus.
snow report
richmond wrote:
easiski wrote:

I've visited Kitzbuhel about 6 times and only once has skiing back to town not been possible (I'm not sure tha it wasn't, but the snow was not good and we went up to Pas Thurn every day, so I didn't see the home runs). The runs down to town are not the greatest in Kitzbuhel, especially at the end of the day; I enjoy the gondola ride. Pass Thurn is indeed a good spot, although it takes a while to get to on the bus.

Thanks Richmond & Easiski

Busy making a plan now involving skiing with the SCGB and having some private tuition, on the basis that they'll know where the best snow is. And hopefully my skiing will improve. I'll look up where Pass Thurn is snowHead

I hope they don't cancel the Hahnnenkamm - I was looking forward to being able to see some of the Super G on the Friday snowHead
latest report
You no longer have to go to Pass Thurn on the bus. From the top of the Hahnenkamm lift you can ski there via a couple of nice little blue runs till you get to the new 3S lift. From there it links all the way. There is plenty of skiing at the top of Kitzbuhel.

Skiing down is OK but if you can't there is still plenty of snow up there. Relax It will be OK!

snowHead
snow report
cathy, Pass Thurn is the far end of the skiing from Kitzbuhel, far left on the piste map. You can ski there, via the 3S bahn, or get the free ski bus. It's a good half hour on the bus, and it's a scrum, especially on the way back, although there is a bar by the bus stop and cabs hang out there. It's pretty much all above the tree line, but some nice runs, and only 1 T bar to contend with.
ski holidays
Ah - I'd just looked up where it is as well. I'm sure we'll be heading over that way.

Chris Bish, relaxed?? I'm doing my deep breathing exercises wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays
cathy,

If Kitz is really bad for snow you could rent a car and drive to other higher resorts (e.g. Kaprun & Obertauern)
latest report
DB, yes, that is an option although I'd rather not with all the extra expense of lift pass & car hire. But when it comes down to it I'm there to ski so if the snow is bad that is what we'll probably do. How far away are those 2 resorts by road?
snow report
From this route finder (Austria = Österreich)

http://portale.web.de/Auto/Routenplaner/?tocity=Hirschwang+%28A%29&tostreet=&tolat=477131&tolon=158069&fromcity=stamm&fromstreet=&x=94&y=22

Kitz to Kaprun ca 50 km 1hr 15mins

Kitz to Obertauern ca 160 km 2hr 36mins

Kitz to Hintertux 103 km 2hr 12 mins

Schaldming Apres beer might reach the parts other beers can't reach. Smile

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_2154924.html?menu=
latest report
DB, Laughing Laughing

Thanks for the route information. 2 1/2 hours way too far. But if its really bad Kaprun could be possible. I'm remaining positive for Kitz though snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cathy, I was in Kitzbuhel at Christmas 2002 when there was less snow than there is now. It was raining in the town and people were saying "lets go home etc". Not a flake to be seen from the bottom of the lifts. The gondola took us up through the clouds to wide open spaces of nice powder. It was magic. There are nice slopes to ski at the top of the Hahnenkamm. The Horn will probably not be open, but there is enough to keep you going. The Maierl 3 alone is worth the price of admission.

snowHead
snow conditions
Quote:

all the extra expense of lift pass

in these sort of conditions, it's best to buy day by day. You don't save a lot on the 6 day passes and it reduces your flexibility. Have a great holiday (there's snow in them thar hills...). the top of our skiing is only 2069 and it's not bad at all. Just had a great afternoon in the sun.
ski holidays
I'm feeling these positive sH fibes!! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Thanks folks, you've cheered me up! snowHead snowHead
latest report
cathy,

Just heard that 4000 cubic meters of snow is being shipped from the higher mountains to Kitz so that the race can take place.

news link in german
http://sport.orf.at/070113-6102/index.html
ski holidays
DB, thanks - already noted . It won't be going on the pistes though. But the forecasts are still showing the low drop in temps and precipitation that week so it may all come good! Little Angel
ski holidays
cathy,

If you do go for the car hire option there's a Salzburg skipass that allows you to ski 23 different resorts around Salzburg.

Prices on this link (190 Euro for ski days)
http://www.hochkoenig.at/cms.php/4373/1/0

Resorts on this one
http://www.salzburgerland.com/tid_online_shop_10442/direktlink.html
snow report
Thanks for that DB
snow conditions
alex_heney, Muffin, Just seen this thread.

Where are you going " Neiderau or Kitz " ?????

Chucky and me also leave on the 20th with Thompsons for Neiderau.

Like everyone else we are praying to the snow gods.

Taking the walking boots just in case though as there are some great walks to be had as well.
latest report
Super Eagle,

Neiderau, both of us.

I'm flying from Bristol to Innsbruck, staying in the Schneeberger hotel.

Muffin never answered when I aksed where he was staying.

The forecasts are currently looking like we will get some snow on Friday this week (but some of it could be rain low down), with more (snow only) falling Sunday - Tuesday, but not huge quantities.

I presume you have seen the lists of what is currently open - basically runs 19-20 in Neiderau (lifts A, E, I & M), everything above the mid station in Auffach (all lifts except C and II), and the blues in Oberau and Roggenboden. I don't think there is really anything off the pistes.
snow report
alex_heney,

Staying at the Hotel Vicky

We fly from Newcastle to Innsbruck.

keep the fingers crossed but it would be nice to meet and ski with fellow snowheads.

Definatly nothing off piste as Neiderau needs alot of snow to warrant going off piste
ski holidays
Super Eagle wrote:
alex_heney,

We fly from Newcastle to Innsbruck.

keep the fingers crossed but it would be nice to meet and ski with fellow snowheads.

Definatly nothing off piste as Neiderau needs alot of snow to warrant going off piste

It would be nice to meet, although I have only been on this forum for a week Happy I'm not sure how I never found it before.

I'm not too worried about the off-piste, because I haven't really done any yet. But if the snow had been good, I was thinking of taking some advanced lessons to learn, on the basis that it wouldn't get too busy off-piste in a resort not known for it.
snow report
alex_heney,

Don't worry we're all friendly here. Not much of an off pister myself but the coaching at the red ski school is the best you will get anywhere, Which is why we booked so that Chucky could get some refresher training.

Our plans are that if the conditions improve Chucky will go into ski school and classes are divided based upon ski ability.

If you are already a competant skier then you will find the classes improve very fast and you will ski alot of terrain. however this can only be of benefit if there is the available terrain to ski in the first place.

If the conditions are still poor then I will give Chucky some basic training as to pay for a weeks ski school and only have limited terrain to ski could be a waste of money.

You'd be welcome to join as we will not be making any final decisions until we see what conditions are really like on Sunday Morning.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy