Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Races in Chamonix cancelled, the others are in danger

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
The French ski resort of Chamonix on Tuesday canceled men's World Cup races scheduled for Jan. 20 and 21, after the International Ski Federation inspected the race track there and deemed it unfit for racing.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/01/09/sports/webski.php

Today trainings in Wengen and Zauchensee (Austria) are cancelled. It rained yesterday in Wengen and it is +12C at the moment.
Chamonix races are possibly moving to Val d'Isère.
Quote:
Worst of all are the prospects for low- lying Kitzbühel, Austria, home of the sport's most prestigious race, on the Hahnenkamm course, scheduled for Jan. 26 to 28. On Monday, the mountain operators there cut off the public's access to the race slope to preserve what snow remains.

The women's races scheduled in Cortina d’Ampezzo (Italy) are also in danger.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
FIS have confirmed the Chamonix races have been moved to Val d'Isere, same dates as original races (Men's Downhill on Saturday 20th, Super-Combined on Sunday 21st). Good news for me - I will get to see some racing at Val d'Isere this season after all Smile
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kerekip wrote:
Quote:
The French ski resort of Chamonix on Tuesday canceled men's World Cup races scheduled for Jan. 20 and 21, after the International Ski Federation inspected the race track there and deemed it unfit for racing.

Yes, grass isn't the best racing surface - although PG might disagree.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They're not in Chamonix.

They're in Les Houches, which until this year wasn't even included on the Chamonix lift pass.

Les Houches is the lowest skiing in the valley and the downhill course ain't representative of the skiing available.

Sorry for the hijack - but I have a vested interest...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
B**ger was looking forward to going to that while we are out there.....oh well off to ValD instead snowHead Last time I tried it was gridlock at some silly time of the morning through Bourg St Maurice, any advice to get up to Val and good easily accessible viewing spots?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Murdoch, It says Chamonix on the posters. The head of the Club des Sports on TV tonight said that it was a shame for all the people of Chamonix who had worked on preparing for the race, then quickly added "...and of Les Houches".

skinutter, There is only one road up to Val d'Isere.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rjs, oh i know , unless there is a rapid thaw on the Iseran Shocked Laughing

Hows the snowline in Crest V? will be in Les Saisies on the 13th Jan for 2 weeks...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rjs, bit like "British" winners and "Scottish" losers then, eh? wink (I apologise if you don't get that particular cultural reference).

The race slope is in Les Houches. Maybe the local Mairie reckoned they'd get more visitors if they claimed to be Chamonix. Les Houches markets itself as a quite distinct entity and is not part of the Compagnie du Mont Blanc. Most of the Chamonix skiing "proper" is above 1500m. The finish of the race is at about 900m. Quite a difference...

I do have a vested interest and I'm rather fed up with the whole snow/no-snow thing at the moment...at least as fed up as with the lack of coldness. Mad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skinutter wrote:
Hows the snowline in Crest V? will be in Les Saisies on the 13th Jan for 2 weeks...

Put it this way, I haven't bothered skiing since Sunday and I'm going home early tomorrow.

There is snow, and obviously there are no rocks, but it is very wet.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sounds fab Confused that next snow cant some soon enough!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Murdoch, There is a requirement that WC races finish in the village/town where they are held. If "Chamonix" wants to hold a race then where do you suggest that they put it ?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm really shocked that the FIS hasn't bitten the bullet and moved the races to North America, where there's snow and infrastructure for holding the races. Beaver Creek, Vail, Aspen/Ajax, Sun Valley, Park City, Deer Valley, Big Sky, Big Mountain, Whistler, Lake Louise and Panorama are all ready to go at a moment's notice, as of today. They have the snow, they can do it.

I simply think that the continental lobby is throwing their weight around by insisting that the tour stay in Europe. The sponsor money is a bit of a strawman argument when the simple fact is that a lot of the scheduled venues don't have snow and don't have climate conditions conducive to making or preserving snow. Yes, it's possible to hold some of the races, but a lot of the speed pistes are in questionable shape. Why not go where the snow is? It boggles the mind.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
songfta, Where are FIS based? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
songfta, Where are FIS based? Toofy Grin

Oh sure - it makes complete sense when you look at the fact that any non-Euro nation is considered second-rate by the FIS. But if their goal is to hold races at all levels, an ideally in safe conditions.

Lemme tell 'ya: the FIS is really shooting itself in the foot with the way they are holding on to race locations that likely won't be able to hold races (i.e. Kitzbühel), rather than relocating these races to venues that can hold them without question.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
songfta, FIS have the world shaking under it's feet, i cast dispersions on the way it's run, just to see if the cream rises to the top. The way i see it, there's a spot of room for improvement, but while it suits the few.................. blah, blah, blah, politics the world over! Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Didn't FIS ask one of the US resorts to hold a rescheduled race when the Tour was in N. America at the start of the season, but the resort declined saying they didn't have enough cash to run the race? Or did I dream this?
snow report
rob@rar, Thats how I recall it too rolling eyes . Both having the same dream?
latest report
maggi wrote:
Both having the same dream?

Ssshh, don't tell everyone. That's how rumours start Wink
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Didn't FIS ask one of the US resorts to hold a rescheduled race when the Tour was in N. America at the start of the season, but the resort declined saying they didn't have enough cash to run the race? Or did I dream this?

I guess it depends on whose spin you believe. rolling eyes

From what I read, the FIS approached Beaver Creek, Vail and Aspen about hosting make-up events, but set an unrealistic timeframe for raising sponsor money and funds. Also, there was an issue with finding adequate lodging for the athletes (though Summit County, Colorado, has quite a bit of hotel and condo space available throughout the season). Lake Louise and Whistler were also mentioned as being ready to go at the time, the former having just hosted the World Cup.

But all three resorts were willing to host the events without the sponsor funds, and the heads of the U.S. Ski Association and Ski Canada were actively lobbying for the FIS to waive the requirement for full sponsor funding (i.e. putting the racing ahead of the cash and adverts), but the FIS wouldn't budge. So venues with courses that were completely ready for racing were skipped on the hopes that snow would materialize virtually overnight - usually not a huge concern in the Alps, but certainly a liability this season.

And there were also quotes from the head honchos of OSV who claimed that their racers would be "too stressed" racing away from home any longer than was necessary. The FIS could've shown some spine and pragmatism and gone against the OSV folk, but they didn't. As mentioned before: it's all about politics.

Same thing goes for the requirement of finishing in a pedestrian (and media) friendly village: if the glaciers are race ready, why not use them? Oh yeah - the lobby at work again.

Perhaps an additional season of questionable conditions might change their ways.

Or not.
ski holidays
songfta wrote:
Perhaps an additional season of questionable conditions might change their ways.

I hope they do change their ways (although it would be nice if it didn't need a poor snow season to force their hand). In the meantime I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Val d'Isere next weekend isn't cancelled at short notice...
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
In the meantime I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Val d'Isere next weekend isn't cancelled at short notice...
Gawd, don't even think about it rolling eyes (See my 'World Cup woes' thread)
snow conditions
Jerry wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
In the meantime I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Val d'Isere next weekend isn't cancelled at short notice...
Gawd, don't even think about it rolling eyes (See my 'World Cup woes' thread)

It's going to get very warm again between now and when the race is due... Sad
latest report
[quote="rob@rar"]

Quote:

From what i can see the temperature is due to drop this week. Probably the biggest threat is snow forecast for later in the week Blush

Skied the OK friday and it was in very good nick. Its now closed off whilst it is being prepared for the weekends races.
snow conditions
[quote="stewart woodward"]
rob@rar wrote:

Quote:

From what i can see the temperature is due to drop this week. Probably the biggest threat is snow forecast for later in the week Blush

Skied the OK friday and it was in very good nick. Its now closed off whilst it is being prepared for the weekends races.

The current GFS run looks very warm around 18-21 January, biut hopefully not so much that training and the race won't take place.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy