Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What would you do?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Now having a bit of a dilema about snow tyres...

I know that weather changes all the time and having experienced using old snow tyres last season in wet snow (read terrible traction in a heavy, front wheel drive estate...) we invested in a new set (Nokian WR's btw... snowHead)

However, with unseasonably warm weather forecasted and only guesswork predictions of significant snow during the time we are out (13th-29th Jan) should I take them off and just run my normal summer tyres and have chains in the boot.

Reason for considering this is that I would expect that the new tyres will wear quicker in these high temperatures and seemingly with the absence of major falls it seems a bit pointless/expensive.

Thoughts?

Cheers
David
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well I think the warmish weather you refer to is not that warm. Snow tyres do not wear excessively below 16 degrees and offer better traction even in just wet weather. I put on my snow tyres in November and take them off in April and I live in the south of France. Even though where I live rarely gets below 7 degrees (apart from trips to the mountains) I don't notice the tyres wearing heavily
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Keep them on, at christmas there was not much snow in flaine, but the car parks had lots of compacted icy bits, so pleased i had them on a rear wheel drive estate, especially next to a dutch reg koren 4x4 that just spun its wheels (summer tyres).
One un nerving bit was getting stuck for a bit as snow tyres are directional and don't seem to work very well going in the wrong direction ie. backwards!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Go on, skinutter, leave the snow tyres at home and provoke the snow gods.... Well no, actually, I agree with Diarmuid. I haven't regretted having my snow tyres on, even though I needed the chains too on the one day of snow we have had this year, to get from here to Les Saisies, past the Hameau where you will be staying.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Twisted Evil provoke......me? i'll try anything to see some flakes fall whilst i am away Laughing

Ok so they stay on but there better be something for them to bite into other than bare road.....2 1/2 sleeps to go snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy