Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for a straw to clutch at ?

Poster: A snowHead
Reminds me a bit of Deal or No Deal, where the contestants seem to think that positve thinking can have a bearing on the outcome, whereas in fact it is all down to chance!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skinutter, I'm dancing but getting very funny glances from colleagues... rolling eyes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stephen buck, I know what you mean, but we're talking sliding probabilities here. The positive thinking won't affect the weather, but it there is a definite possibility that it will improve, so why not have a happier week or two than a miserable week or two?

skinutter, my impression was that the temp. spike was reduced slightly when I updated ensemble chart, but I didn't keep a copy of it to compare. If anyone still has the 00z chart it would be interesting to see.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can someone please explain the ECM charts and is there a good webiste to follow this?
Going to Monte Rosa (Gressoney) the 26th and I'm praying for snow and cold weather.
3rd year in a row that we try to go to Gressoney (changed to Andermatt and Arabba) and it looked good until yesterday.....

/ Bjorn (Stockholm)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Even though I don't pretend to fully understand these forecast models, it's very interesting stuff.....and it's refreshing to have a positive outlook at the moment. Toofy Grin Keep the updates coming.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bjorn, Welcome to Snowheads snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bjorn, there are number of sites where you can see the ECMWF charts, not least the ECMWF site itself. However, many/most people use Wetterzentrale.

The charts can be found here: http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsecmeur.html

The top row are Wetterzentrale plotted charts from data released by ECMWF, and the bottom two rows are the ECMWF hosted charts that Wetterzentrale links to.

The row charts show thickness values (the colour markings) and sea level pressure. The Thickness corresponds to temperature, but don't get too hung up on colour correlation - it can feel chilly under yellow for example.
The sea level pressure is the same as in the charts you see in newspapers and (if you're lucky) on TV. The fronts are not marked on though and you have to infer then from the isobars (where they are kinked, generally).

The second row shows sea level pressure and and wind speeds at 850hpa (~1500m). The 850hpa wind speeds will show wind not affected by surfaces (except in the Alps of course) and can indicate fronts etc. I tend to use it as a rule of thumb that where they're high, the weather will be poor. But I'm sure better meteorologists than I will have a proper use for them. They will of course show the wind speed around 1500m, so can be useful if looking at mountainous areas.

The bottom charts show the 500hpa thickness as in the top row. The top row is really Wetterzentrale's mix of the useful info from the other two rows. They go to 168hrs as that's most people's thoughts of what's reliable or not (the model resolution may also drop after that point, I'm not sure).

ECMWF do provide many more products than just this (as the Met Office provide more than what you see from them on that site and others), but this is all that's freely available.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks, no enough people here in Sweden to discuss the weather with.. Puzzled

Same up here as in the alps, normally this time of year it should be -10 and loads of snow, yesterday it was +10 ans sunshine, scary! Atleast it's getting colder and snowier up north in our skiareas!

/ B
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bjorn, all you'd ever hope to know should be in a "sticky" at the top of this forum, called Beginners guide to GFS.

The link is here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=14852

Cheers,

Greg
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skanky wrote:
stephen buck, I know what you mean, but we're talking sliding probabilities here. The positive thinking won't affect the weather, but it there is a definite possibility that it will improve, so why not have a happier week or two than a miserable week or two?

skinutter, my impression was that the temp. spike was reduced slightly when I updated ensemble chart, but I didn't keep a copy of it to compare. If anyone still has the 00z chart it would be interesting to see.

No sorry i didnt save one but actually the later run shapes it differently again, taking longer to come down...grrrr

MR Dan, thanks for your dancing effort, you should see my efforts LOL...always been a cr*p dancer, even for romancing the snow Laughing Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skinutter,

I agree
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The temps on Met check for resorts - what altitude are they based on? resort? bottom? mid? top? Puzzled
latest report
 brian
brian
A quick update:

ECM - had a serious wobble yesterday, I was too depressed to report the results of the 12z Sad Back on track this morning though, if anything possibly better Very Happy I guess this reinforces that this is still really beyond reliable timeframe Confused

GFS - still broadly agrees but is about 24 hours behind reaching the setup we're looking for. It's not the same evolution delayed, the high still shifts around the 19th/20th, it just takes longer to get far enough West to pull colder air down.

Caveats, caveats, caveats - Heaps of things could cause this to go tits up, obviously, but what I'm afraid of is HP ending up positioned too far East, as happened at Xmas time, resulting in cooler but bone dry alps.

We're still not in range of the MetO's model for any of this. Confused
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A lot of you seem to have a good idea about what your talking about on this thread, would anyone care to make a guess at what lies ahead for the pyrenees!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brian, missed ECMWF's 12z luckily.

I think there's some disagreement in the speed and this development (thus track) of the LP(s) as it comes across the Atlantic, but every model has it (Wednesday night's charts for UKMO, ECMWF, GFS, NOGAPS & GEM shows what I mean). We need it to dig into the HP to at least bring relief.

If the jet comes further south, even if the pressure pattern isn't quite right, I think it'll be delaying the inevitable. We need a more southerly jet first, after that things will (eventually) fall into place. I just hope it's a week's time (as it currently looks) and not three.

But yes, still time for it to go wrong. Monday we'll have a good idea, I think.
ski holidays
smudger, we're a bit cagey about the Alps, the Pyrenees are even more difficult/borderline. wink Doesn't look good before the end of next week though. Looks like it could get warm, but again, it looks like it *could* get better after 20th. We're really waiting for the models to come into line about how & when the high pressure breaks down/moves.
snow report
skanky, when and where to, are you going in the alps?
latest report
Bjorn, 27th La Plagne.
snow conditions
All a bit technical for me ! but i am willing to help with the postive vibes - off to 2Aples on 19th, so really need this change.
Last year we tried the age old ritual to the snowgods - someone has to stick their bare bum in the snow - and YES it snowed the next day
As i'm not near any white stuff can anyone else help with this ritual ??
Laughing
ski holidays
debbi, Would it have the same effect at Xscape? Or a completely different result? Puzzled Very Happy
snow conditions
Not sure but would love to see you try !! Might get removed for indecent exposure tho !!
ski holidays
debbi, Quite. Might be worth it!
snow conditions
debbi,
You don't "really need this change" at all!! There's plenty of snow in 2 Alpes, trust me. Most of the skiings above 2100m anyway, so even if something diabolical happens you're still guaranteed loads of good terrain.
Welcome to snowHead btw!
Thanks for the hot tip on making it snow - I'll try that.
snow report
.No worries paulmck , i am happy with whats at 2 alpes at the mo, Easiski's regular updates have been great in allying the fears.
Just wistfully hoping for some Powder to christen my new board on !
Have been really lucky the last 2 years with mega snow in the Pyrenees - unfortunatley not so this year.
And that snow tip normally works !! best to try it after a few local brews though
Laughing
snow conditions
hmm and the 12z one shows the temperature spike back up slightly again. Is the breakdown still on track? 20th Jan shows a bit more of a northwesterly blast moving in over France, looks positive but do i have the right vibe or...? Embarassed
latest report
the GFS 12z I saw for Engelberg has a bigger temp drop than previously, but a day or so later, and still the warm blip beforehand, anyhow the next 5-7 days will be interesting from a weather point of view!!

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
kitenski, still going to plan ...20/21st still on ??
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chris Brookes, looks like it, yes.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi, am new to snowheads (first post) but have been watching this thread for about a week. Off to meribel on the 20th and so am hoping all of this is correct, the latest run of the models still seem to look good! ...although am hoping that some of the more short range forecasts start to show cold and snow sometime soon! Keeping everything crossed......

Thanks to everyone on snowheads for explaining the models by the way - understanding them (even if I am just a beginner) is really helpful

Great website!

Toofy Grin
snow conditions
bigfoot, welcome to slushnuts ! snowHead snowHead
latest report
Smokin Joe wrote:
bigfoot, welcome to slushnuts ! snowHead snowHead
Laughing Laughing
snow report
Puzzled I am new to this (first post). Am going to Passo Tonale on 20th.
From the explanations posted(most usefull), I can see that the trend is for cooler temperatures but the amount of precipitation also seems to be dropping. Any chance of some snow in the Dolomites???
ski holidays
Just looked at the latest run - I hop I didn't jinx it because I'm not so sure it looks as good now? Sad
ski holidays
brian, skanky, looking at the normal longe range forecasts it does now show the dropping of temps around the 20/21 but it also shows the temps rising on the 24th..

Any ideas ? have you seen an upto date model ?

Im trying to stay positive.....
snow report
 brian
brian
Wow, been tracking this for a week now and still looking pretty good. Very Happy

The move to colder conditions next weekend is still there as we go into a more reliable timeframe and some hints of snow events the following week. There is potential for low pressure to be bubbling around the med and meeting cold air over the mountains.

As ever, the precise positioning of the areas of low and high pressure is going to be all important.

For the doom mongers, look for everything to shift East a bit wink
latest report
 brian
brian
Did I say potential snow events ? Laughing

Corresponding FL about 1500m ....

latest report
brian, At the risk of appearing thick, is that pinky-purply stuff (technical term) snow? Confused
latest report
Brian, the chart above looks promising! Looks like 35-40 where I'm going (MonteRosa).
Is that in mm or cm?

Bjorn
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Anniepen, well it's precipitation, but if cold enough, then pinky-purply = immense quantities of the aforementioned (technically termed) snow wink
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Bjorn, it's mm of rainfall but 1mm of rain (roughly) corresponds to 1cm of level snowfall.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy