Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Going to Zermatt this weekend

Poster: A snowHead
First of all a big hello , as I'm a new member.

Me and the girlfriend are going to Zermatt this weekend 13/01 .It's the first time we've been to Switzerland , we normally go to Austria , but fancied a change this year.

The forecast for snow is looking really good , but it looks a bit windy there, do you think it'll be a problem.

Can anyone recommend where we should head for first .My girlfriend normally likes the easier runs for the first few days and then on to the tougher runs.

Also where's best to rent our ski's , any recommendations or are they all pretty similar.

One final thing, I'm gonna propose to her and have heard of a viewing platform overlooking the Matterhorn which I thought might be romantic , but if there's anywere you think would be better , I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance for any advice Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
WTF, Welcome to Snowheads. Some Zermat experts will be along shortly. Can I suggest you propose on the last day. No use ruining a perfectly good ski holiday wink wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
WTF, take the Gornergrat railway and ski down to Rifleberg to start off. You'll be getting something different if you do that, for sure. Also, ski down to Cervinia. It's 22km of easy skiing to get down there.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
WTF, welcome to SnowHeads snowHead

Pretty much everywhere in that area has a good view of the matterhorn. The viewing platform thet you mention may well be at the top of the Klein Matterhorn. You go up the cable car, and as you are walking out, the tunnel has a left branch which leads to a lift. You then climb a few steps up to a viewing platform. The only downside of that location is that it may be a bit busier than you would like.....but you may get lucky.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Elizabeth B wrote:
WTF, welcome to SnowHeads snowHead

Pretty much everywhere in that area has a good view of the matterhorn. The viewing platform thet you mention may well be at the top of the Klein Matterhorn. You go up the cable car, and as you are walking out, the tunnel has a left branch which leads to a lift. You then climb a few steps up to a viewing platform. The only downside of that location is that it may be a bit busier than you would like.....but you may get lucky.

It is also god-awful windy up there.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
WTF, recently back - conditions were great, but the link to Cervinia is subject to closure due to wind. So, if it's open early in the week, I'd do it straight away. As for easier runs, there are a couple of T-bars above Trockener Steg which give access to wide gentle pistes. There aren't actually too many of those to be had in Zermatt, though as Tim Brown says, there's lots in Cervinia.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the replies and keep em coming.

The platform that you mentioned ElizabethB, is the one I had heard about I think , So we might take a trip up there .Hopefuly there wont be too many people around when I pop the question.

The run into Cervinia sounds like a good warm up for the week, thanks Tim.

It sounds like the skiing in Zermatt is gonna be quite challenging ?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
WTF, there's certainly lots of challenges to be had - Zermatt's not generally reckoned to be a beginner resort. I'd start above Trockener Steg and assess the lie of the land from there, if there's likely to be an issue.

As for a hire shop, we used Glacier Sport, about halfway down the main street between the railway station and the church square, on the left as you walk in that direction. They were very friendly, efficient and had lots of choice in good quality skis - and spoke English as soon as they heard my pidgin German!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
WTF wrote:
Hopefuly there wont be too many people around when I pop the question.

I'd had completely skimmed over that - Good luck!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Zermatt is a beautiful ski resort. I have skied most of the runs in my two visits. For your marriage proposal I would recommend skiing in the Rothorn area its as good as the other two areas. Pick a good day and book a table in Chez Vrony restaurant or one of the restaurants in the same little area (I have forgotten there names but they are in fact probably better) The table should be on the balcony outside and as your eating a delightful Swiss lunch propose. You are certain to get a three letter as opposed to two letter answer. Hope all goes well
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the , where to hire, Laundryman , I'll have a look in there for sure.

As for booking a table at Chez Vrony , that sounds a better proposition than getting down on one knee in front of fifty sightseers on the viewing platform . Cheers Goran wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
WTF, Fluhalp in the Rothorn sector is the best mountain restaurant in the area IMO. Get your hotel to ring up and book you a table on the veranda (if the forecast is good) where you can look out on views like below, with the live band playing. If she doesn't melt, get rid Wink

snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
WTF, try not to leave the newspaper open on the same page as Charlatanefc though. wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
laundryman wrote:
WTF, try not to leave the newspaper open on the same page as Charlatanefc though. wink
Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
laundryman, heh heh heh. In all fairness, that was the Swiss people we were sharing the table with (very difficult to get a table there if you haven't reserved!) Wink
snow report
We've just returned from Zermatt last weekend where I spent 10 happy days skiing and my husband 5 miserable days trying to snowboard! We rented our skis from a shop called Bayard (opposite the Station square). The really useful thing here is you can store your skis and boots (on heated racks) free of charge. So no more lugging skis through town to your hotel. They were very helpful and I would highly recommend them (particularly as on the last day someone stole my skis in the Sunnega area and the shop didn't make a fuss at all).

There are many, many bars and restaurants in Zermatt but those I am fond of are Grampis Bar for some apres ski, particularly the area at the back, cosier. Also a funny little chap comes in every evening at 5.30pm and performs live music (ok sometimes murdering the songs) but he's good fun. Do try Elsie Bar (just down from Grampis, towards the church). I've only had lunch there (on last day after skis got pinched) but was bowled over. It's quite a small bar, about half a dozen tables but the food and wine are amazing. Not a rowdy place, but a bit more refined. The Pollux Bar (where SCGB meet) is nice too, lots of convivial sofas and good atmosphere. A good pizza place is Pizza Roma, past the church, and over the bridge. Great pizzas and atmosphere. Do note though all these places seem to have 2 sittings 6.30 and 8.30 so you'll need to book.

Oh and do, do go to the cinema! It is incredible (designed by the same guy who did the new Omnia Hotel). Try and opt for a CineMeal. I won't say any more other than you will be in for a treat. If you don't find a film you like, just go there for a drink. An amazing place.

The skiing was as always lovely. One thing I learn though was that Klein Matterhorn and Gornegrat sides were better than Sunnega. Sunegga always seems like Clapham Junction to me.

Enjoy, you'll have a ball.
ski holidays
WTF, and anyone else visiting Zermatt, the English church is worth a visit for all the memorials to the foolhardy young Brits who fell off various nearby peaks in the C19th. I particularly like those of the 'To the memory of Capt. Henry Farnsbarns, who bravely did this that and the next thing, blah, blah, blah .... , beloved son of .... and ..., devoted brother of .... , who died aged 21 years and 11 months while heroically trying to make the first ascent of the Kennethhorn. Erected by his old school friends, his climbing companions and his fellow officers of the Queen's Own Royal Deserters. Oh and by the way, 14 Swiss guides died with him.' type.
latest report
All this information is great , thanks for all the advice.

I really cant wait to go now and hopefuly she'll say yes !

Very Happy
snow conditions
WTF, best of British - keep us posted. snowHead
latest report
WTF, propose on the lift, if she doesn't say yes, chuck her off and claim on insurance!! Twisted Evil

Seriously, - good luck, hope you enjoy it.
latest report
Why not have lunch at Chez Vrony (or one of the other ones around there), ski down to the little 2 man chairlift and propose going up on that! It's a nice chair, built for 2, scenic and long enough to pluck up courage!

By the way, it's our second wedding anniversary today! Ok, my husband proposed over a game of scrabble, but we honeymooned in Klosters wink
snow report
WTF, Awww, that is so romantic. Little Angel Zermatt is the perfect location, and Chez Vrony is indeed a lovely restaurant with sheepskin throws on the seats and loungers, and a beautiful view.

Good luck - but you won't need it in Toofy Grin
snow report
First of all thanks to everyone for their replies.

What a fantastic holiday..SHE SAID YES ....

The first day there was plenty of snow and was spent on the Sunaaga.It was nice ,but as Beverley said , it got busy.[p.s ,we hired the ski's from Bayard]

Next day we went up the Gornergrat railway and skied down to Rifleberg as Tim suggested [ what a great run]and then we headed towards the klien Matterhorn , but it was quite windy and the cable car was swinging by the time we reached the middle station , so we skied back down to the village.

Tuesday came and it was perfect.Blue sky, no wind .So we headed back to the Matterhorn.Once outside the lift station , we sat down and marvelled at the fantastic views and then, when we had got our breath back , I got on one knee and proposed.
I dont know if it was the lack of oxygen or excitement , but she was shaking when she said YES

Anyway , we had great conditions up till Thursday when it started raining in the village , but light snow further up.

Friday , still raining , but heavier snow further up and all the runs on the Itallian side shut due to high winds .So we stayed on the Gornegrat to ski where something interesting happened.
About half a mile away from the summit , the train sudenly stopped and started rolling backwards.After about 200 yards the brakes kicked in.It did this about three times , rolling down the hill and the shuddering to a stop , before the driver rushed through the carriage to tell everyone to get off.
Everyone got off and did some off piste ski-ing until we reached the piste.

So all in all , a very memorable holiday. Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

SHE SAID YES ....

Congratulations
latest report
WTF, congratulations. A holiday to remember snowHead
ski holidays
WTF, I love a happy ending !
snow report
WTF, result!! snowHead
ski holidays
WTF, Congratulations ....
ski holidays
 John Heaton
John Heaton
WTF, Well done!! Although the wedding date will be the official anniversary, remember Tuesdays date too. Great excuse in years to come to go back to Zermett in the winter !!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy