Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obertauern snow

Poster: A snowHead
sharon1953,
Can get cold there but Ive not been out in -29
-22 or Ive done but it was not much fun on open chares & skis seemed to stick to the snow a bit
A nice -4 with fresh snow and sunshine for a week would do fine
I think I have had the odd week close to that at some time in the distant past though it may be my brain blocking out the days Ive been out in blizards
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Garfield, Well at that temperature you need extreme ski gear, the sort of stuff they use in expeditions! Frost bite on exposed skin is a certainty, and that report wasn’t for the wind-chill factor, as there isn’t any wind that day!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sharon1953,
2 Weeks till we go I would rather deal with the cold than the recent conditions in most parts though
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Garfield, Hmmm---interesting that there is no road at all to the Sonnhoff.

Have stayed in mountain hotels before, recently in Loferer Alm--I loved it and didn't bother me not getting to the village in the evening, contrary to some of our group who did feel rather stranded..(but they ended up apres-skiing in the hotel bar!)
I love to be in a ski-in ski-out location, and the peace and quiet of the mountain at night is rather magical!
Where is the Steiner in relation to the main lifts? Do you kow the village?

Great news that the snowgods have finally relented...and it's snowing! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Julieanne,
The Steiner is well placed for the main lifts. You cross the bridge from the hotel and ski down to three different lifts. In the evening, if you have apres skiied at the other end of town, you can ski back in the dark to the same bridge. Have a great time. The Steiner is an excellent hotel, according to some friends who stayed there a couple of years ago.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
On the subject of hotels, I am booked into the Schneider in April. Anyone know if that is ski in/out?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hilary t wrote:
Julieanne,
, if you have apres skiied at the other end of town, you can ski back in the dark to the same bridge. .
Madeye-Smiley

Thanks for the info about the Steiner--sounds a nice hotel---but I don't know about skiing back in the dark across a bridge! Laughing Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ray Zorro, the hotel schneider is right by the base of the gamsleiten1 lift so its a definate ski in ski out location, good choice snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alpinebullit, thanks, it looked it from the photos, but you can never be sure snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ray Zorro, I stayed just the other side of the lift from where you are going to stay, it really is a perfect location for both skiing and apres. Don't forget gamsleiten1 and gamsleiten2 both open early at 8am on a wednesday.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alpinebullit, ooh thanks for that snippet. I didn't know that. It won't make a lot of difference to Mrs Z and my eldest, but I can imagine that me and my two youngest will give that a try snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
"Metcheck Snow Dump Alert for Obertauern: The following forecast is based on the latest weather model showing the expected snowfall, amount and the freezing level height for the next 7 days:- 26.2cm expected over next 7 days" and that's at resort level !!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy oh the excitement and anticipation!!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Julieanne,
If you stayed at the Sonnhoff I think you would be able to access their private lift at night
Ive only seen them using it for deliverys but is a size that will take two to four people I would think
From where it meets the road its about a five minute walk to the center of the village
I stayed in the Steiner last year and I found it excelent its not got an aprie ski bar but there are some close by
Alpinebullit, gamsleiten1 takes you onto an easy run gamsleiten2 is something else though it is a black black if you get my drift
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It as started snowing but I wouldn,t worry too much as Obertauern is an high resort and all snow above 1500mtrs is pretty good in Austria.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The depths of the reported snow falls are reducing by the hour - worrying really!!
snow report
Garfield, I get your drift, thats exactly what I meant Toofy Grin
snow report
Alpinebullit, do you mean : it's already melting????? rolling eyes
snow report
sharon1953, --Sorry-- I mean sharon1953, -- what are you really worried about???/ ... I am a bit thick this morning-- I guess!!--too much worrying this month about snow and rain and climate change etc!! Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
Julieanne, no we'll all be alright going to Obertauern I'm near positive conditions will be good up there in Obertauern. I don't think we've got anything to worry about.
ski holidays
Alpinebullit, I can hardly wait! Razz
ski holidays
Julieanne, well my worry is that the 26 cms predicted by metcheck at the weekend, is now down to 7cms, and so far the webcams are showing just a dusting, so if this the great dumping we have been waiting for, it doesn't look that great! Fingers crossed for us all.
snow conditions
sharon1953, yes--absolutely-- fingers, legs, everything crossed for us all!! Very Happy

But do look at the thread: Austrian Snow reports---seeems very optimistic today! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Julieanne, To be honest, just being there, surrounded by those mountains, drinking Glühwein and hot chocolate drinks, with enough snow to potter around in, will keep me happy for 7 days!
ski holidays
sharon1953, Same here! Very Happy I'd like to move to the Alps...if I can figure out exactly how to manage it...and that way I could write you all the Snowreports first hand!
snow report
Alpinebullit,
Quote:

Then take the Zentralbahn chair, at the top ski off the back towards the Kringsalbahn area and Hundskogelbahn chair.
looking at the map, I can't see any connecting run from the Kringsalm... area to pick up the Hundskogel chair, but I can see the turn off avoiding the flat one you mention.

When you get to the top of the Zentral, I assume those blue runs are going downhill to the Kringsalm, although they look up hill on the map! http://www.obertauern.com/user/download/Panoramakarte.pdf I see someone has just returned from the resort and has started a new thread, nice positive report.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 24-01-07 9:49; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
sharon1953, Had a look at the web cams today 5pm there been a fair bit of snow looks better already
Forcast for next 5 days shows snow and temp staying below 0
It will be fine for skiing when you get there
ski holidays
sharon1953, don't worry when you get to the top of the Zentral those blue runs do look like they are going uphill on the map but they are downhill! and do connect to the Kringsalm. To get to the Hundskogel from here you have to put in one more lift, the Schonalmbahn and ski down to the Hundskogel - Sorry my mistake. Also although not the biggest of ski areas all I hear from people who have been to Obertauern are positive reports in general the snow quality is always good. snowHead
latest report
Alpinebullit, yes I see the Schonalm now, but then I am forced to go onto the pink circuit - which I'd like to avoid until I know if this is the year I progress from Green/Blues to Reds!!! Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Garfield, check these: http://www.huettenzauberer.info/webcams.htm At village level it's till only a dusting on the rails, roofs etc, but should be better higher up.
latest report
Garfield wrote:
Julieanne,

I stayed in the Steiner last year and I found it excelent its not got an aprie ski bar but there are some close by
[

GARFIELD, I've been looking at the Steiner's website---looks very nice and close enough to lifts. I don't mind no apres-ski bar--means it's quieter --and no noise at night. The village seems to be spread out along a main road, from what I gather from photos and this thread. But the main thing is, it seems snowsure! Smile
latest report
Alpinebullit, are you going back again soon? wink
ski holidays
Julieanne, If you go to their TO website http://www.obertauern.com/ then click info on the left, you get a link to a map of the village, all the hotels are listed by numbers. If you print this off (saves switching there and back), then go back to the Lodgings link, each hotel has a number and map reference, so you can see exactly where it is in relation to lifts, roads etc. If you request a brochure you get all this in their promo pack.
ski holidays
Julieanne, I think I will be heading back out to Obertauern soon, I've just got to work out the dates. But I'm going to be restricted to a long weekend because I've managed to arrange myself abit of time in Zermatt in March.

sharon1953, from what I remember the red run from the top of the Schonalm down to the Hundskogel isn't too bad, I think there is just one steeper part and the rest is just abit of cruise down underneath the Hundskogel until you get to the bottom of that lift. I'll have a look if I've got any photos of that particular run for you. I'm sure you'll progress along nicely in Obertauern.
snow conditions
Julieanne, its about as snowsure as you will get in Austria without a glacier and its snowed again today
10 days till I'm there Very Happy
snow report
Garfield, that's about the time I usually pack! Then I arrive at the airport hours before we need to Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
sharon1953, thanks -- I shall do that. Very Happy I think I've decided on the Steiner or the Sonnhof...

Garfield, Alpinebullit, if we might all be there around the same time ---let's keep in touch! I too may only go for a few days soon, as have booked already mid- March to France. (Megeve)
snow report
sharon1953, Not got as far as packing yet got skis out of the loft though
Mrs G gets trusted (landed) with most of the packing

Julieanne, Alpinebullit We are due to be there late on 3 Feb flights from Glasgow and I think about 7pm into Salzburg
snow report
Garfield, I've just now tried to book into the Schneider Hotel or the Panorama for the week of 4th Feb---and they are fully booked!
Seems everyone's rushing to Obertauern that week!
snow report
Julieanne, If you go to the tourist office site there are links to a lot of places to try
Some have online booking in English but not all
Even with the resort about full its ok if the lower resorts have snow only crowded when weather is like the last two weeks and people are getting bussed in to find snow.
latest report
Julieanne wrote:
Garfield, I've just now tried to book into the Schneider Hotel or the Panorama for the week of 4th Feb---and they are fully booked!
Seems everyone's rushing to Obertauern that week!

Thats the main school holiday week in Austria, most popular resorts are normally fully booked up that week. With Obertauern being so high and snow secure very few cancel.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy