Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obertauern snow

Poster: A snowHead
northantsred, but what was the skiing like?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sharon1953, the skiing was fine, some nice pistes but rather on the short side. When we went snow was poor everywhere but at Obertauern it was great. We went over to Flachau for one day to break the week up, the ski area is not extensive.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arrived back last night and it was still snowing, and expected to continue all week. The conditions were perfect, but the continuous snow fall (it snowed for 6 days)meant that in the mornings there was little evidence that the piste bashers had been around! This was our first visit to the resort, and we decided after only 2 days that we would be returning for many years. It seemed to have everything we have been looking for, for 11 years! Although not as chocolate box picturesque as some traditional Austrian resorts, it certainly does not resemble a French purpose made resort, and is quite charming. The ski area is split into woodland runs, and wide open motorway bowls. Although not the longest vertical drops, it makes up for it with a modern, fast lift system of chairs, (some heated) and a good variety of reds and blues. The piste map and markings in this resort are its only downfall. All the lifts are numbered, but not the runs! So keep the map with you at all times, and familiarise yourself with the names of the lifts and the way they connect before setting out. Although there are 2 circuits on the map, with linked lifts, they include a mix of reds and blues, so don’t be fooled into thinking the green one is the easy option. For the runs outside of these circuits you will have to try and connect yourself, and with no numbers or names, it’s not easy if you want to stick to blues! But if you are confident enough to ski either reds or blues, this slight annoyance won’t concern you. When we left the resort, we had only been travelling downhill for about 3 miles and it was raining, so the altitude of this resort is its jewel. The Hotel Gamsleiten is right at the bottom of the Gamsleiten Lift, and in the central area of the town, so was a perfect choice location wise, and the food, and rooms could not be faulted. Won’t waffle on more, as this is meant to be a snow report section, but if you want any info, pm me.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
anyone got any updates (12 sleeps to go) snowHead

Also... has anyone used the Salzburg/Obertauern shuttle bus? How was it - how long did it keep you waiting?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ray Zorro, you can get a transfer in a rather pleasent mini bus or car for 99 euros one way from salzburg.. so unless your travelling alone i'd book private..
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
CANV CANVINGTON, on the Obertauern website there is a link to a shuttle service that is €39 per person for a return trip. I was wondering about that one Confused
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ray Zorro,
I am using the website transfer next Thursday so hope it works ok, looking at the snow reports and forecast its looking good for next weekend. Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Steve.S, welcome to snowHeads snowHead Hope you have a great time, is this just for the weekend? I am wondering if you will be back and able to comment in time for my trip out on 1st April. Confused
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ray Zorro,

Take a look at this.....Obertauern webcam

Tipping it down snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hywel, thanks - looking good snowHead snowHead snowHead I hope the conditions are absolutely fantastic for when you go wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ray Zorro,

Likewise.......
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ray Zorro,
I was a member a couple of years ago (I was the guy who managed to lock himself out of his room in Livigno and spent the night sans clothes in the corridor if you recall Embarassed - the Mr Bean of Burnley I think I was christened) but thanks for the welcome.
I fly back on the Sunday so won't be able to let you have a heads up but the way things are looking its going to be fantastic for both of us.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Steve.S, ah yes [url=http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=88411#88411]
the perils of the single traveller [/url] - I remember it well
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ray Zorro wrote:
CANV CANVINGTON, on the Obertauern website there is a link to a shuttle service that is €39 per person for a return trip. I was wondering about that one Confused

well its great value and im sure it will be teutonically effecient.. i am normally in a group of 4 or 6 and we pay the 99 each way for the v comfy people carrier.. you get the added benefit of them picking you up when you say for the journey home.. you may get different flight times ont he bus meaning you have to leave earlier than you wanted..
ill pm you the link anyway
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Surely the most economical and best option is to hire a car????
snow conditions
northantsred, dunno. If it works out, the shuttle works out at about £140 for the 5 of us, whereas a car large enough for the luggage would be about £220 +petrol +parking +chains(?). We can't ski on outbound day anyway and they say that they will collect us not more than 4 hours before flight departure on return day, so doesn't sound like a lot of hanging around.
snow conditions
I quite fancy trying out some Missions when there - anyone know a shop that rents them?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy