Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

transfer from Geneva to Megeve costs

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi
I am travelling from Geneva to Megeve on 14/1 (just 1hr transfer) and was quite shocked at the cost of transfers 120 Euros with Ski Royale for 2 people or 50 Euros per person with ATS.

Does anyone have any other suggestions.

Why is it that transfers in Europe are so expensive it seems to be a pattern and they seem to be getting just ridiculous.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
are those return costs? If so I would think they are very good; transfer costs are expensive, but the firms have to cope with some bad road conditions and having much of their expensive hardware sitting idle much of the time because lots of people travel at weekends. I am beyond Megeve by about 40 minutes and often pick up friends and family from Geneva (for love, not money). There's no way I would get up in the morning, put chains on, crawl down the mountain, take the chains off, get to Geneva (paying the tolls), then reverse the whole process, for less than quite a lot of money. It's true that Megeve is rarely buried in snowdrifts, though we'd all be ecstatic if it was on 14 January!

I think there's a train to Megeve but I've never explored that option. French train fares are cheap. Worth looking at.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, train to Sallanches and then bus up the mountain to Megève. I think it's 2 changes from Geneva airport to Sallanches though, so a lot of hassle and probably not much cheaper. Never done it that way myself.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Iain401, Welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Iain401,
Don't rule out car hire (note - from the Swiss side of Geneva Airport) - often ends up cheaper than transfers.
try www.holidayautos.co.ukor direct through Sixt (normally the least busy car hire desk)
latest report
 brian
brian
Train from Geneva airport to France is a pain because you have to trek across the city to get to the Eaux-Vives station, it's not connected to the airport or main Cornavin stations.

A lot easier and quicker to take the bus:

http://www.borini.com/borini/fr/services/default.html
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Iain401 wrote:
Hi
I am travelling from Geneva to Megeve on 14/1 (just 1hr transfer) and was quite shocked at the cost of transfers 120 Euros with Ski Royale for 2 people or 50 Euros per person with ATS.

Does anyone have any other suggestions.

Why is it that transfers in Europe are so expensive it seems to be a pattern and they seem to be getting just ridiculous.

I thought that Scottish parsiomony was a myth wink At these prices given that you are effectively gettting a private transfer for a journey of an hour I wouldn't complain. £40 ish return each doesn't sound too bad at all Puzzled I think I would sooner avoid a more hassle route. Probably not worth hiring a car for two of your or even if there were 4 of you at these prices
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all your very helpful responses (Pam w, laundryman, michelle, simo1234, brian, dan100) it really feels like quite a community here.

It is just one way.

I looked at the car hire from your suggestion www.holidayautos and for a week hire its £199 from Swiss Geneva and £113 from French Geneva. This would give the option of going somewhere else if the snow was poor in Megeve. (as looks likely). Is it easy enough just to go to the French sector of the airport and hire from there?

Hey Dan
No I don’t like throwing money away needlessly, do you, if you do let me know so that I can line up to catch some wink Seriously maybe Scots are more canny with money but they will always pay their way in the drinks rounds Smile

Iain
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Is it easy enough just to go to the French sector of the airport and hire from there?

What a good question! The short answer is yes, if you know how. There are several snowHead threads on this. If you decide to hire on the French side, factor in the cost of a Swiss autoroute vignette (40 swiss francs) and come back to this thread for directions. You are right about the Megeve snow, it will be suffering a bit by the time you come. Snow is suffering everywhere, though, and better options in the immediate vicinity are a bit limited - maybe the higher areas in Chamonix (plenty of info here on Chamonix), maybe the top of Flaine, maybe the top Mont Vores sector in Notre Dame de Bellecombe, maybe Les Contamines. A car would be an asset, if only for a sunny drive up the Chamonix Valley and a trip up the Aiguille de Midi cable car to admire the view. It might help within Megeve too, to get quickly to the different areas which are not all lift-linked.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Iain401, apart from the vignette pam w mentions, the other cost factor for comparison is snow chains and winter tyres. These are often included in the Swiss side prices but less likely to be on the French side.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

These are often included in the Swiss side prices

but not always. I have had to book and pay extra for chains with Geneva Swiss car hire. Maybe I've been unlucky. If you have chains (which you MUST have) and can use them, the lack of winter tyres is not a huge problem just for one week. You'd be unlucky (or lucky, depending on your point of view) to have enough snow to need chains between Geneva and Megeve. I've been doing that trip in all weathers for 4 years and never needed them yet. Though you could find the last hundred yards to your accommodation is the most difficult bit. You'll need to think about parking. There are big underground car parks (paying) in Megeve centre but it might not be easy to park at your accomm. If you decide to hire on the French side you can exit the Geneva arrivals hall direct into France, rather than Switzerland. Once you have picked up your car, turn right out of the airport and through the border post where you can buy a Swiss motorway vignette. Follow signs to the airport, and then to France/Chamonix. A few miles of Swiss motorway and you'll be back at the French border. It is possible to do the whole trip without leaving France, but it's a big detour and hassle. It is also possible to cut through Geneva and avoid Swiss motorways but it's well worth the 40 francs, especially for the ease of returning to the airport at the end of your holiday. On return, go past the airport exit off the motorway and take the next exit signposted Ferney. Follow signposting to Ferney which will take you right back up over the motorway and IGNORE ALL SIGNS TO THE AIRPORT AT THIS POINT, THEY WILL TAKE YOU BACK INTO THE SWISS SECTOR. The Ferney signposting will take you under the runway and through the border, then you turn left into the airport French sector (rather small sign but if you get to the roundabout you've gone too far). Easyjet now have check in facilities on the French side.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
pam w, yes I've had to pay on the Swiss side as well. If you book through a broker the charges and therefore the Swiss/French comparison are not always very clear imo.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all your comments. It seems a bit of a complication to hire on the French side. I am going to try to go to Chamonix now because the rest of my party have dropped out and they don't fancy Chamonix. So I'm looking for to join a chalet party so that I might have a chance of meeting some people I can Ski with. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I thought Borini provided a service from Geneva to St Gervais and Megeve. Friends used it a couple of seasons back and was about £30 rtn I'll see if I can find the link...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
www.borini.com spoof online booking quote for 1 adult Geneva to Megeve in Jan was €68 rtn

Pretty good i thought... snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy