Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sweden

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
And specifically Vemdalen - can't find much info about it other than in Neilson brochure.

Considering this for a half term trip as we are a family of beginners/advanced beginners and don't need apres ski or a vast ski area but would appreciate some honest reviews as regards ski school/cost of self catering food and general ambience. Thanks in advance Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The only advice I have, if you do go to Sweden, is to use the expression "Tusen Tack" (Thousand Thanks) to say thank you. The locals will be really impressed! Works a treat on my business trips snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well thank you I'll bear that in mind! It is bizarre that very few people seem to have been skiing here - maybe true snowheads wouldn't consider Sweden - but for us it looks ideal - Vemdalen - as we want a compact area with ski school and lifts in a small area and haven't got the experience to go far - so many places have lift passes that cost the earth when we'll only stick to a small area but can't get a cheap beginners deal as they are only available for complete beginners. Maybe TO don't offer Vemdalen - only Neilson? hence few visitors - also can't find a snow report on any of my usual sites so it is altogther proving annoyingly elusive!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sally S,
Maybe this site would be some help? http://www.snow-line.co.uk/services/skiing-in-Vemdalen.htm
Hope you have fun wherever you end up for half term Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sally s, Well I've skiied in Salen which is approx 3 times bigger. I was there for other reasons but managed to grab a few days skiing. I certainly won't be booking to go back. When you turn up you'll wonder where the mountains are... there aren't any. Instead the lifts are spread all along small rolling hills and I reckon that even a total beginner will feel unchallenged by the end of the week. It's a bit bleak frankly, gets dark very early and feels cold all the time because the sun appears to be so weak and low in the sky (those pics in the brochure would have been taken in the best possible conditions). I've done Norway too (Hemsedal) and I'd recommend there if you really really must go for the scando experience. Self catering is fun if, like me, you end up in a log cabin in the woods.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Did you ski The Wall in Salen? Short, but I thought it was VERY steep.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bode Swiller (what is that?!) -thank you - think you have managed to put me off it completely now! Take your point about hills and no sun - having just had a brilliant week in Soll in Austria a huge plus point was the warm sunshine and fantastic scenery. We are just looking for somewhere compact and not manic at half term and it seemed ideal but maybe not. Back to drawing board!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
up4it wrote:
Did you ski The Wall in Salen? Short, but I thought it was VERY steep.
I did and didn't think it was steep exactly but certainly icy as they'd been holding the speed skiing champs on there. Everything else was errrrr flat! We went snowmobiling instead.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sally s, your homework is to go find out what "that" is. Didn't mean to put you off, just being straight that's all. Swedish people must go there and have a good time after all wink

Anyway, Soll, as you mention it, knocks the Swedish mole hills into a cocked hat... might be tricky to find good accommodation/flights for half term though. If you like compact and not manic and want half term availability you might try one of the lesser known Austrian resorts like Serfaus (Tirol), Katschberg (ski-in ski-out in Carinthia), there are loads more. You'd have to go independently though as the tour ops just don't go much beyond the known resorts.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks - yes we are in a vicious circle of needing a TO because we are new to all this and yet not wanting to go anywhere manic. We are new skiers but old sailors - ie have sailed for 20 years and know where to go for peace and quiet in the summer hols and thus want the same experience skiing but suspect will have to go along with the crowds for a while until we feel confident to go it alone. Have now looked at Norway at Hemsedal, Geilo and Beitostolen which - seem - interesting - just have to wait for Neilson to drop their £100 pp supplement for a half term flight - on top of loading the basic holiday price OR - go for Austria and the lift/lunch queues! Don't apologise for putting me off - I need straight talking advice!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sally s, Obergurgl. No question! Quiet, civilised and lots of gentle runs. Nice and high too, so about as "snowsure" as it gets. Might be a touch dear though. No queueing here either - ever!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks - had a look for deals to Obergurgl but seems to be sold out - maybe everyone else knows how quiet it is!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
everyone told us that obergurgl was quiet but it was packed out and the run back to the village was horrendously busy, we thought it was overrated Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Okay thanks for that then - I have variously looked at Sweden, Norway and Obergurgl lately and all have major minus points - also the deals I have found for Obergurgl are very expensive so still looking for perfect cheapish place at half term that won't be manic - may still be looking on Feb 16th!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sally s, for our second ever ski-ing holiday we went to Val Cenis - close to where Hannibal crossed the French-Italian border, quiet and small. We went with Inghams, but I see they're not doing it anymore.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy