Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Sunday... what's up?

Poster: A snowHead
Me too it was really good Razz
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yes prob the best one so far this season snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The piece on climbing the Hannenkahm (?sp) was very interesting, interspersed with shots of crashes. Also summer in the Alps generally - good for the region, so few people are aware of the different world that exists the rest of the year. I wish Ed had won the race too. It's those cameramen who have the hardest time - especially if Graham Bell is going to be rude about their skiing abilities!! And some super impressive downhill runs. Good entertainment.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ickabodblue, at least it wasnt a Top Gear set up race, where they organise to make a tight finish and therfore it becomes un-informative.

Forgot how bad Scott McCartney's fall in Kitzbuhel was.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Christopher wrote:
ickabodblue, at least it wasnt a Top Gear set up race, where they organise...

...a minibus full of chalet girls to turn up and give you a lift just when you need one Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
they'll have just been on there way to pick up the groceries from Bourg st. Maurice! merely a coincidence! snowHead

Im sure the race wasnt fixed to such an extent the top gear ones are and how obvious they make it in top gear.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I enjoyed tonight's much more than the rest of the season.

At least the celebrity could actually ski this time, and Tara-Palmer next week should be good.

I also never thought the multi-purpose snowboard/ski things would be up to much before seeing it tonight.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Christopher wrote:
they'll have just been on there way to pick up the groceries from Bourg st. Maurice! merely a coincidence! snowHead

Hmmm - maybe they were on the way to BSM, since it's *past* Villaroger from Tignes
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very good programme. Was intrigued to see the split board used for touring.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Certainly the best one so far. Colin Jackson impressed. Only four years skiing - if he's only skiied once a year I'll be seriously impressed. Nice to have seen the start hut of the Hahnenkam, I had my picture taken outside it last Easter (we can all dream). If anyone is going to Kitzbuhel and is interested in the race there is a really good museum relating its history on the first floor of the Hahnenkam restaurant at the top of the mountain.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Corky,
Quote:
if he's only skiied once a year I'll be seriously impressed

I think you will find Mr J only skis once a year...............................but for 3 months at a time. wink Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fergus, As long as Tara doesn't stop for a sneaky one on the way down Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Watched it with keen interest as usual.

I think the tag of it being part of 'BBC sport' polarizes opinion:

One the one hand, skiing and boarding are based around a competetive element, as proven by C4's coverage (which shouldn't be, in the main, dedicated to late-night programming) and it's fair to say that the 'sporting' side of it (racing) has been neglected by the beeb.
But on the other, as someone's already pointed out, the general masses who go skiing and boarding aren't going to compete, just to enjoy a holiday in the same way we love sitting on beaches, and that's what Ski Sunday is trying to capitalise on.

Personally, as I've said before, the program could well be exteded to 90 mins and cover more of the racing element, but the sad fact is there's only so much airtime and they have an hour, that's it.

When the new format took hold I was unsure of GB's trek through the Alps. However, with tonight's instalment seeing the end of his trip, I was sad to see that bit finish - I could watch much, much more about the culture and the history of alpine sports.

As a program it fits in beautifully in the BBC2 Sunday evening programming: SS first, then Capricorn and then Monty Don garden thing (not to mention the highly entertaining 'Hidalgo' beforehand) - I've never been so interested in such a varied set of programs before. The BBC has hit it spot-on for the majority and unfortuanetly for the race lovers out there, that means travel-based TV. The on-piste Vs off-piste challenge in tonight's show was a prime example of making great TV out of something you wouldn't nesseccarily find that interesting. I bet non-skiers/boarders watched that and though 'wow!' and let's face it, the vast majority of license fees come from non-skiers and boarders.

I'd love to see the race side of things get back to a mid-day slot like we used to have; loads of racing coverage through the day when David Vine was the voice of SS. Why not do that and have a 'travel' programme int he evening to appeal to the masses. It's the slot thing again – there are only so many.

I'll be sad to see SS go but at least there is still some winterpsorts coverage on TV - we'd be cheesed off if there was sweet FA woudn't we? Let's enjoy what we have...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
achilles wrote:
Very good programme. Was intrigued to see the split board used for touring.

I bought one this year and they are pretty good (but expensive). Used a couple of times on the cairngorms now.
latest report
prog99, how does it compare for touring with an 'ordinary' snowboard that would otherwise be used? It looks an attractive option to snowboard + snow shoes. Does it perform well as a snowboard?
ski holidays
I've found this style of Ski Sunday fascinating. There doesn't seem to be a lot of racing, but if you wait to the end of the program, assuming you have freeview or Sky, hit the red button and you get a full hour long coverage of the racing. That seems to offer the best of both worlds.
snow conditions
I quite enjoyed the programme but as I had already seen the downhill on eurosport and again on C4, found that by watching the same race 3 times, i could accurately predict which racers were going to fall and the outcome of the Didier and Bode battle. wink

I appreciate that not everyone goes to the expense of getting eurosport to watch ski racing but why show the same race as C4? It's not as if there isn't loads of ski racing to fight over. How difficult would it be for SS and C4 to agree to show different events? Puzzled
snow report
WayneC wrote:
I quite enjoyed the programme but as I had already seen the downhill on eurosport and again on C4, found that by watching the same race 3 times, i could accurately predict which racers were going to fall and the outcome of the Didier and Bode battle. wink

I appreciate that not everyone goes to the expense of getting eurosport to watch ski racing but why show the same race as C4? It's not as if there isn't loads of ski racing to fight over. How difficult would it be for SS and C4 to agree to show different events? Puzzled

It would be almost impossible, since they are different companies Smile

Actually, they have several times shown different events, but I don't think that was likely to have been by agreement.
ski holidays
As others have commented, I felt last nights programme was the best of the series so far.

Seeing the Hannenkan (?sp) in it's summer state, and not rushing by when tracking a racer was fascinating. Some parts of it are seriously steep, even on the traverses. One thing struck me - GB had to cross several wire fences as he went up the route, and these looked to be well established (weather worn wooden posts etc.). Do these fences get removed for the winter, say after the cows are brought off the mountain, or do they stay and the snow base need to be enough to cover them?
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
prog99, how does it compare for touring with an 'ordinary' snowboard that would otherwise be used? It looks an attractive option to snowboard + snow shoes. Does it perform well as a snowboard?

I was a bit unsure at first and the first few turns I did felt a bit "weird". I'm putting that down to your bindings being raised up by around a cm. But once I got into the groove I fairly blasted down from the top of cairngorm yesterday (well almost the top).
snow conditions
been away for a couple of days and have just watched this weeks ski sunday, definatley the best one yet, real respect to the guy on the uphill tour.
only point not made is that colin jackson may have only skied for four years, but he skis up to 30 days a year in gstadd and other places Shock
snow conditions
jmdohanlon wrote:
As others have commented, I felt last nights programme was the best of the series so far.

Seeing the Hannenkan (?sp) in it's summer state, and not rushing by when tracking a racer was fascinating. Some parts of it are seriously steep, even on the traverses. One thing struck me - GB had to cross several wire fences as he went up the route, and these looked to be well established (weather worn wooden posts etc.). Do these fences get removed for the winter, say after the cows are brought off the mountain, or do they stay and the snow base need to be enough to cover them?

Hi,

Yes the fences get put up at the end of the winter season and taken down before the winter starts. The ski piste are totally unrecognised in the summer. They all have cattle on or are used for hay making. Also there are usually loads of streams running over the runs and up where they filmed ( which is just behind us) they move snow to fill in the gaps to make a smooth piste.

We live in Mühlbach and often ski up where GB was and the hotel does excellent food.

Nigel
snow report
prog99, interesting, thanks.
ski holidays
As the average recreational skier I like it for the variety as opposed to endless racing. Most of all my kids look forward to it ( including the one who does race ) and we all watch it together ( a rare feat only otherwise achieved by " Dr Who " ) .

With the racing on C4 I am glad it is not just the same but without the adverts.

The race from Tignes ( piste v off piste ) . the walk across the Alps , ski/boarding in Morocco etc etc are diverse and I think interesting aspects of ski/boarding.

No doubt it can and will be refined but it makes a good change from racing.

John
snow report
djfletcher, thanks for the explanation.
latest report
Fergus wrote:
I enjoyed tonight's much more than the rest of the season.

At least the celebrity could actually ski this time, and Tara-Palmer next week should be good.

I also never thought the multi-purpose snowboard/ski things would be up to much before seeing it tonight.

It'll be interesting to see TP on the white stuff!!!!
snow report
thefatcontroller,
Quote:

think you will find Mr J only skis once a year...............................but for 3 months at a time.

Exactly. He was featured on Ski Sunday last year in a piece on skiing in Japan and he looked quite tidy through the powder
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles, I've put up a fuller review on WH -

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?5,89152,89152#msg-89152
snow report
halfhand wrote:
thefatcontroller,
Quote:

think you will find Mr J only skis once a year...............................but for 3 months at a time.

Exactly. He was featured on Ski Sunday last year in a piece on skiing in Japan and he looked quite tidy through the powder

He has also done a skiing holiday for the Holiday program about 2 years ago, when he got expert tuition Toofy Grin . Mr J could never ski when a professional athlete, he wasn't allowed. He is an obsessive skier and works his broadcasting contracts so he can ski most of the winter. Good on him Cool
snow report
Me smells a rat how did htey not know the Vaoisoine express was closed when every other skier in the world did Puzzled
ski holidays
Ordhan, We arrived on the 6th Jan in Peisey staying with Esprit 75 meters from the Vanoise. One couple arrived with their 2 kids and were shocked to hear the Vanoise was shut rolling eyes . Not everyone reads snowHead 's all day Toofy Grin They need to though Laughing
snow report
Ordhan, agree. The Beeb wouldn't embark on such a venture without the assistance of the local tourist boards... who will have told them. The "race" was clearly very staged - Bell started off with a pair of skier cross skis that magically turned into a pair of GS... the so-called "wager" was struck in the presence of the very guides that they used and Bell's camera men we're not too slick on their boards so he would have had to go at their pace.

Still quite an entertaining hour though. Just wish Mr Bell would stop constantly reminding us that he was once a DH racer. Thought the ending of his "trek" was all a bit corny.
snow conditions
Ordhan wrote:
Me smells a rat how did htey not know the Vaoisoine express was closed when every other skier in the world did Puzzled

There are probably more skiers who are not aware of that fact than who are.

Most skiers don't read sites such as this one, or even the ski magazines - and the news was only in the last copies of those that I saw.

And that was probably filmed quite a few weeks ago - possibly only just after it was decided to close it.
snow conditions
Alex totally agree that not everyone spends all day on snowHead But here you have two guys drinking with two GUIDES in a bar I AM PRETTY SURE THE GUIDES WOULD HAVE KNOWN THE LIFT WAS CLOSED? Made for good tv all the same but a little silly
snow report
Ordhan, And the guide he was racing against would have told him.... wink Laughing
snow report
Ordhan, Very true.

But then I imagine all of these "challneges" are very staged.
snow report
Yes have to say I actually enjoyed last nights show especially Austria during the summer really shows the countrys character.
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:
Ordhan, Very true.

But then I imagine all of these "challneges" are very staged.

Like for example they got drunk one night in a bar in the Alps and by chance one of the persons they were drinking with happens to be an expert off piste guide that knew the route they decided to race over. How lucky was that Shocked Laughing

Come on the Vanoise being shut was the easy spot Toofy Grin
latest report
thefatcontroller, The guide was almost as cute as Ed. It really is becoming compulsive viewing!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy