Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Questions for Londoners

Poster: A snowHead
I'm in London next week, will there be anywhere to get fondue ?

Or for that matter :

Will I be able to get any food that hasn't done a journey of 1000 miles before being micorwaved for me?
Are there any places I can go where people are polite to each other?
Is it reasonable to assume catching the train is a good idea?
Will my mobile phone and cash card work?

etc etc

Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ise wrote:
I'm in London next week, will there be anywhere to get fondue ?

I doubt it

ise wrote:
Will I be able to get any food that hasn't done a journey of 1000 miles before being micorwaved for me?

Only in some of the finer restaurants in Chinatown, but it will have travelled > 1000 miles

ise wrote:

No

ise wrote:

Catching the tube, maybe. Train? No Chance!

ise wrote:
Will my mobile phone and cash card work?

If you have a Maestro/Cyrus card, it will work. The phone should be OK too, as long as your local supplier has given you international roaming.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Swiss Travel Centre Leicester Sq. I think they've even got cow bells there if you're feeling home sick. Food, depends on your budget, I certainly believe you can eat as well in London as any other European city, whether the value is the same is another matter. Catching a train is a very good idea, providing it's not in the rush hour. Shouldn't be a problem, we've had mobile pones for a few years now and those new fangled ATMs can be found fairly easily. Failing that there's a UBS office in the city.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ise,

The answer to all of your questions is yes. Just take an hour and a half train ride north to Nottingham Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ise wrote:
I'm in London next week....

Sad Sad Sad
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Never mind ise I'm sure it won't be for too long Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I like the way all the advice is coming from non-Londoners....We are perfectly capable of putting or own city down with out the rest of you's help!!! Wink

yes take train. once in centre of london its easy to walk. tube or bus if its raining or you feel lazy or cant get directions. but note compared to CCF, its expensive, and more likely to be delayed. at least mine is during rush hour most mornings Sad

phone and cash card no problem. at all.

what kind of places do you want to go for these polite conversations?? Puzzled

china town actually isnt that bad, but brick lane is better still!! Very Happy Very Happy (mmmm....curry...) also plenty of places around covent garden that are pretty good - lots of deals for all the theatre goers, along with a good selection of choices.

hmmm...fondue though. that is hard.....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JonL, OK, so I don't live inside the M25, but I'm not far from it! (and our office is in Hounslow)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ise-nice restaurant rewview in last Saturdays Times, fast food, but great food, fair trade, organic etc, at a really good price, think it was just off Regent Street
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,1147-1208903,00.html
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
To be fair, the UK is one of the few places in the world with such a variety of food on offer, even a small provinical town in the UK offers a choice of cuisines and that's not something you can see in many places. I'll eat as I normally do in the UK on business trip, and use the oppurtunity to have what's good there, which is breakfast (the only meal most chain hotel kitchens actually execute properly), Indian, Thai, Chineese and maybe Greek. That along with some London Pride will do nicely.

...and the train doesn't look expensive either, 60 quid London-Derby first class open seems reasonable to me
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ise, I had a couple of days in the Croydon area last week and enjoyed some Fullers London Pride. Their 'Summer Ale' is also very quaffable. I agree with you on hotel brekkies.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Why would you want to have a fondue here?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Withdrawal symptoms Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Why would you want to have a fondue anywhere?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Why would you want to have a fondue here?

I assume it would be the same reason someone would go to the Alpes and worry if they could get an English Xmass lunch.
ski holidays
There's a place called St Moritz in the centre of town - Poland Street, maybe. I had a fondue there about 5 years ago and it was fairly good. They have some quite nice Swiss wine as well.
latest report
There is a Swiss restaurant not far from Leicester Square which was fairly unmemorable and expensive. In fact very Swiss! Very Happy

Otherwise I recommend going to see a musical. I have no idea why there are so many of the horrible things around at the moment so perhaps you could try one and find out?
snow report
Quote:

Forget trains. Bring skates and join a friendly crowd to see London as you have never seen it before:

Wednesdays: The London Skate
Fridays: The Friday Night Skate
snow report
ise, Xmas being once a year- fair enough i see the reason for wanting to know if they do anything similar

Fondue in London when you live year round in Switzerland? No sorry I dont see the comparison at all
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee, not sure, but I think Ise was kidding...?
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee, next time you're down south we'll see how long you last without a battered Mars bar... snowHead
snow report
I dont eat battered Mars Bars - theyre rancid, On Friday nights one of the guys always has deep fried Pizza- NASTY!
snow report
ise, my top tips for affordable but good quality restaurants in the centre of town:

Pasta Brown (Bedford Street, Covent Garden - great pasta but not a place to linger)

Cafe Fish (Rupert Street, Piccadilly - if you like fish. have a pint of guinness to wash down your seafood platter. Despite being in London, the fish is very fresh and usually from East Anglia or the South West)

Thai Pot (Bedfordbury, between Covent Garden and Trafalgar Sq. - good Thai)

Cafe Koha (St Martin's Court a side street near Leicester Sq tube - good modern European menu and good affordable wine list)

most of us are friendly. it's getting us to make eye contact that is difficult Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy