Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Planning for next year - Cervina/Zermatt vs Canada...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello All

I'm already planning my next two holidays (sun in September, snow next Jan/Feb) and was looking for some advice.

Depending on how my finances are I've narrowed it down to Canada or Cervinia.

Canada (if the money situation is rosey) because I've always fancied it and the resorts look fantastic. I've been looking mostly at Tremblant.

Cervinia (if money is tight) because a) you are normally guarenteed good food in Italy and b) because the lift pass also covers Zermatt.

Does anyone have any recent experience of Cervinia or any comments about it? It's one of the places that no-one i know has ever been to!

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There will no doubt be many who disagree with me, but having been to Cervinia once having been to Canada 3 times before (and twice since) - Canada wins hands down. The lift pass doesn't strictly cover Zermatt, you have to top it up to go over the back into switzerland. On the plus side my dad paid for Cervinia... so it could've been worse. Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
magic_hat, just back from Zermatt - made it over to Cervinia for one day (on one week's experience, the link is often shut, so beware!). As for what I saw of Cervinia (went top to bottom by a couple of routes), it's great carving territory - lots of wide reds and some blues. The pistes were in great condition and the lift system seemed good (mainly modern chairs). All of this I have to caveat again, because it's based on one day's experience (albeit just two days ago).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tremblant? It's a good mountain if you live close to it, but I can't imagine flying accross the Atlantic just to ski Tremblant. The mountains on the west coast are infinitely better, and I'd guess that most popular european mountains are much better as well.

edit: just to give you an idea, Tremblant has had 47cm of total snowfall so far this season, and whistler has had 827cm . . .
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
magic_hat, do both wink Cervinia on a cheeky long weekend out of Turin/geneva/Bergamo and then a week/10 days to canada.

I've just come back from Cervinia, but I did only what I just advised you, so don't really feel qualified to say much more than it was great, some great piste skiing (not enough snow for off-piste) and plenty of variety if you throw Zermatt into the mix.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
For me, I'd go to Alberta resorts over Cervinia. I like Cervinia in good snow but you can go there anytime.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Canada over Zermatt this seaon, but not east coast canada. Tremblant is a hill, 1/5th the size of the Zermatt area. Toytown village as well. Go further afield.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers All for the responses.

I fancied Tremblant mainly because it's French speaking and because a friend went there and raves about it. That's the only reason I mentioned it out of the Canadian resorts - i hadn't really gotten around to investigating more thoroughly at this point. I was more worried about which European resort I would go to as it seems harder to pick!

Thanks for the comments about Cervinia and Zermatt - sounds pretty good and just what i'm after although the comment about the link being often closed was a bit worrying. I suppose that will mainly be a result of this years poor snow though.

All being well, i might be able to do a long weekend around March time - perhaps i will try and make it to Cervinia as a taster!

Thanks all!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
magic_hat,
The link is very high I don't think poor snow is commonly a reason for closing it. High winds or bad weather are much more common.
Personally I wouldn't chose Cervinia for the purpose of skiing Zermatt or vice versa I would look on the link as an enjoyable extra.

Eastern and Central Canada have a reputation for being very cold early season.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy