Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another Waxing Question

Poster: A snowHead
Got my new skis before christmas and took them to the local ski shop to get them waxed. The "expert" in store told me it would be a waste of money to get them waxed as they already had the Warehouse wax on them. He suggested I rub them with a nail brush and if required get a quick wax in resort. Any opinions ?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would tend to disagree with the shop - I used to wax every pair before I'd hand them over to the customer. Some (spyderjon) will strip down and rebuild the base up to 5 times before their first use.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If only I lived near Nottingham ! Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Strictly speaking you do not need to get them waxed before you use them, however I tend to if I can.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The way the weather is (Soldeu) I wont need them anyway.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Smokin Joe, I wouldn't bother with the nailbrush myself.

My wifes having some skis mounted with bindings at the moment. Soon as it's done I'm planning to give the edges a once over to set them at 1 & 2, hot wax scrape, then do a couple of cold wax scrapes.

You won't do a lot of harm skiing them as they are now. Once they start looking a bit grey on the base in resort then have them waxed.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Smokin Joe, getting a wax in resort is so easy and probably cheaper than the UK. Why not just wait and see how they go. All my new skis and boards have been fine on their factory wax except for one that was actually terrible (although the snow was very sticky).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I had the same response with my new skis. i took his advice and didnt have them done. IMOA he was right. They ran smooth as a babys bum wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Smokin Joe, When are you going to be in Soldeu? If it is to be in the next few days then I would hire rather than use new skis. I was up there just before Xmas and there has not been any new snow since Sad . I was supposed to be going up tomorrow but will hold off untill the 11th/12th at earliest praying for snow. Several places will do a wax job over night, Calbo, Pic Negre etc. BTW where are you staying?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dypcdiver, we are not there till 4th Feb staying at Sport Village. I bought skis at Calbo a few years back and found them excellent. I will visit one of them whilst in resort if necessary.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Smokin Joe wrote:
Got my new skis before christmas and took them to the local ski shop to get them waxed. The "expert" in store told me it would be a waste of money to get them waxed as they already had the Warehouse wax on them. He suggested I rub them with a nail brush and if required get a quick wax in resort. Any opinions ?

Well your store "expert" was half right in that they do only have warehouse, or transit wax on them, which is exactly why they should be waxed (& ideally cleaned) before use. Some factory wax is way better than others, for example new K2's that I've seen this season have had a pretty good factory wax on them but the new Scott Missions that I prepped this morning had booger all.

There are so many variables it's not possible to say how long the factory wax will last. In Tignes this Xmas the aggressive man-made snow would strip it off in a few hours but if there's plenty of new snow it could last all week.
The bottom line is basically the more wax you get in the bases the better protection & performance.

I'd recommend getting them brushed, waxed & brushed in resort which should be more than 10-15 euros. Don't let them touch the edges.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
......Some (spyderjon) will strip down and rebuild the base up to 5 times before their first use......

Cool.....or just a single application of Dominator Zoom Base Prep wax will do the same, available from me at a very reasonable price wink

And to avoid a spamming accusation the Holmenkol Base Prep wax is also very good & is available from Ski Bartlett or Anything Technical Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
spyderjon wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
......Some (spyderjon) will strip down and rebuild the base up to 5 times before their first use......

Cool.....or just a single application of Dominator Zoom Base Prep wax will do the same, available from me at a very reasonable price wink

And to avoid a spamming accusation the Holmenkol Base Prep wax is also very good & is available from Ski Bartlett or Anything Technical Laughing

What is the best wax that can be applied with an iron?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Renry, For what purpose?

If you mean a Base Prep wax then the Dominator is an absolute doddle. It's very soft so you can first easily crayon on a good layer. With your iron set to 110-120C you then melt/drip some additional wax on to the base - it drips almost like water so you have to go quickly along the ski length. When applied immediately after a hot scrape/clean & brass brush (as it should be) there'll still be some residual heat in the base so just a few passes of the iron should get the base to the required temperature & will really melt the extremely fluid wax in. The vice should of course be slack during the ironing to allow the warm ski to go into negative camber to open up the p-tex pores. Leave for min of 20 mins to fully cool/absorb then scrape & brass brush. Then you ready to allow apply your selected final wax of choice.

If you don't have a Base Prep wax the same affect can be acheived by using the same soft yellow wax that you'd use for hot scrape cleaning, as done by marc above. After the initial hot scrape & brush then repeat the cycle a few times but leaving the wax to fully cool before scraping. One application of a pucka Base Prep is like doing a good few of these cycles - Dominator say the equivalent of 5 cycles when their wax is applied correctly.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon wrote:
.............but the new Scott Missions that I prepped this morning had booger all. .................

True. They were mine.There was almost nothing there.

Having seen what went into my skis, I am heartily glad I did not take the skis straight to the slope.
latest report
Renry wrote:
What is the best wax that can be applied with an iron?

cera f

but get out the chequebook. it can be upto £1 per gram.
ski holidays
oooooopppppssssss

Good advice though, thanks

Typo, i meant to say what is the best wax / product that can be applied without an iron?

Embarassed
snow report
Really technical question coming up.... having had a session with spyderjon, we are now in the mountains with a lot of skis that need attention, and all the kit we need except an iron, as I was hoping to buy a cheapie with no holes. Having failed to do so we planned to get a proper ski one in Decathlon in Albertville but they didn't have any. I have a really tatty old steam iron which I would happily sacrifice - but do the holes cause major problems??
snow report
pam w, it'll be better than nothing.

You really can't find an iron in the hills?
ski holidays
marc gledhill, well we are some miles out of the main station. Stupidly, though I drove through there an hour or so ago on the way back from Geneva airport, I didn't think of looking in the ski shops there and I don't feel terribly like driving back there having left for Geneva at 0630! Maybe I'll give it a go. The water thing on the iron is broken anyway, and I could do with a new one. I'll let you know how I get on! It's now such a warm day that some ski tech on the terrace seems like a good way of spending the afternoon and the skis are begging for some wax.
latest report
OK, that seemed to work fine. Makes a hell of a mess though.... fine this afternoon, out on the terrace, but I'm not so sure about when it's minus 15. Our charming French neighbour was intrigued to find out what we were doing. "zey say you should do zat fartage evairy year" she said, "but I 'ave not 'ad mine done for many years." They ski most weekends through the season when the weather is good. Maybe we make too much fuss about such things!
snow conditions
pam w, get a piece of linen/cotten, say an old pillow case (not polyester or nylon), & wrap it around the base of your iron & secure it with string/rubber band etc so that it's tight across the base & over the holes. Then wax as normal. The fabric will stop the wax going up the holes & also break the suction effect that they cause enabling the iron to glide smoothly.

And you can never make too much fuss about such things wink
snow report
pam w, Try the InterSport in Albertville, they have a good selection of servicing kit. Decalthlon switched from stocking Swix to Vola this season and doesn't seem to have a full selection of stuff.

Failing that, you could go down to the Vola office in Passy.
snow report
rjs wrote:
pam w, Try the InterSport in Albertville, they have a good selection of servicing kit. Decalthlon switched from stocking Swix to Vola this season and doesn't seem to have a full selection of stuff.

where is the best place to buy a full setup to start waxing and edge sharpening my ski's? second hand if possiblespyderjon,
latest report
steve1985ski wrote:
...where is the best place to buy a full setup to start waxing and edge sharpening my ski's? second hand if possiblespyderjon,

I think you answered your own question. snowHead
latest report
steve1985ski wrote:
rjs wrote:

where is the best place to buy a full setup to start waxing and edge sharpening my ski's? second hand if possiblespyderjon,

This might be a budget way to start wink

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=170066577720&rd=1&rd=1
snow report
On Saturday I gave 3 pairs of skis a once-over. My own just needed a quick de-burr, brush down the base and then wax. Next pair had been in an attic for 4-5 years (at a guess). A lot of filing to get rid of the rust, a good brush down, then a wax. Finally, a brand new pair of skis - quick brush down, then a wax.

Did the work with my vices clamped to a coffee table, and a few dust sheets on the floor. (and a beer or two on the table, along with Gray, who was using his weight to stop the table tipping over...)
ski holidays
steve1985ski, I've PM'd you.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Smokin Joe, I've used the 3 pairs of ski's I've owned exactly as they left the retailer, and have all been fine.
latest report
steve1985ski, BTW Welcome to Snowheads your get lots of good advice her and a lot you dont want NehNeh
snow report
Charlatanefc wrote:
I've used the 3 pairs of ski's I've owned exactly as they left the retailer, and have all been fine.

Ski tuners are born, not manufactured. We do not choose, we are chosen. Those who understand need no explanation, those who don't ..... DON'T MATTER!
snow report
spyderjon, heh heh heh touche. I probably wouldn't know a good wax if it was dripped all over me Wink

I will be paying you a visit before March tho matey!
snow conditions
Charlatanefc wrote:
.....I probably wouldn't know a good wax if it was dripped all over me Wink....

Jeez, that's a scary thought Laughing
ski holidays
To misquote Jaws "you're gonna need a bigger vice"
snow report
is rex purple an good for waxing my ski's. i dont know much about waxing ski's so excuse me if its a stupid question. iv only found it on cross country ski sites so dont know if i can use it for alpine skiing
latest report
steve1985ski, REX make waxes specifically for Cross Country skis & 425 is one of their racing/glide waxes. Cross Country waxes are not designed for the speeds/friction of alpine skiing so if used wouldn't last long.

For us UK based recreational skiers, unless you have hot wax facilities overseas or want to take your waxing gear with you, then it's best to wax your skis in the UK with a universal wax that has a wide operating temperature range. This should last you a weeks trip but can be supplemented if required with a teflon wipe (ie Zardoz Notwax) or by having your skis waxed in resort.
snow report
spyderjon, thanks for the advise mate, didnt think it would be any good but there was a job lot on ebay n it was really cheap. in regards to the set up you said you could put together for me, my ski's are salomon 1080s, i bought an iron today so just need all the other bits now but for the time being i just want everything i need to wax and sharpen the edges, cant afford the rest of the stuff at the moment as im going to LDA in a couple of week and need every penny i can get for beer tokens Blush Little Angel Very Happy Laughing
latest report
I got given a little block of burton rub down wax for christmas. Is there any benefit to rubbing some of this on my skis?
ski holidays
element, I'm not familiar with that product but any wax needs to be 'in' the base not 'on' it. I would think that it needs to be rubbed/melted in with a waxing cork & plenty of elbow grease.
ski holidays
Well it did come with a wee cork so its worth a go. Elbow grease I can provide! Just rub it on and rub it in hard with the cork?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy