Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Seam in inner boot causing numbness

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have a new pair of boots which fit well and were comfortable when bought. Now I am breaking them in they are causing numbness in both little toes and just behind them at the edge of the foot.

I took the inner boot out and walked about in them, same problem. I had a closer look and found that there is a seam just at the point where the numbness is centred. The footbed covers it but I suppose with the pressure it still comes through, though I can't feel the seam directly with my feet.

Is this something that will come ok as part of breaking them in or is there something I could/should do?

Thanks for any advice.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm sure that someone will recommend an expensive custom footbed as the solution to your problems. In the meantime, why not try a first aid plaster in between the footbed and the seam?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bh1, Smile Both did cross my mind but I wondered if the plaster would stay in place, maybe roll up causing more bumps.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
bh1, sounds like someone has not be satisfied with the fitting service somewhere Little Angel

Jeraff, a footbed is what most bootfitters would consider an important part of the boot fit however that is not to say it will solve your problem

it may be the boots need to be skied in a bit to break in the liner or it may be a case of having the seam flattened, any good bootfitter shopuld be able to do this for you

the plaster idea would most likely do exactly as you say...roll up and cause problems

hope this helps a little Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I tried the boots with the footbed taken out. The numbess still came back but it seemed to take a bit longer. I'm now thinking that the seam may not actually be the problem. I'm thinking more now that there is a circulation problem maybe because there is slightly more pressure on the outside of the soles of my feet, although I can't actually feel any presure Puzzled .

CEM, I suppose thats the choice really, persevere and wait until they've been skied in a bit or go to a bootfitter.

Two questions though:

How essential are footbeds - if it feels comfortable without them, presumably its ok to ski without them?

Does anyone else just persevere with numbness or other discomforts, or is it dangerous to ignore?

Sorry if these questions are daft, I'm a bit of a late re-starter to skiing after two poor attempts years ago Smile .
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy