Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

wetterzentrale

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
apologies if this has been said elsewhere.

looking at this mornings ensemble from wetterzentrale http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_Genf_ens.png

it certainly confirms the mildness we all fear until about tuesday Sad

however, after that is shows a general trend towards coldness until the 19th (mad cold and snowiness maybe on the 11th). Now i am sure it will all change, as is life, but can an expert tell me if the model is basing this on actual possible trends in temperature - or does it simply over the long term always tend towards the 'average' (which would explain why the thick white line is in line with the thick red line).

e.g. should we all be getting (cautiously) excited about a trend towards coldness over the next 2 weeks, or is it simply the model always seeking the average....?

ill ignore the percipitation levels from 15th - 19th on the ensemble, but that would be sweet if any of that came off snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tomski01, I *think* that in the absence of a real handle on what will happen, it will tend towards the average. If you check the ensemble member spread after about the 12th, it gives a low confidence of any particular outcome, which is the best way to decide how much salt to take. Though there is some spread, most of the runs are on the positive temperature side, though not by a lot so maybe not worth noting.

In these situations, it's best to watch multiple runs (if you have the time) and multiple models. In this case there's reasonable agreement even between the models out to 144hrs (11th Jan), so I'd take that with reasonable confidence (though remember this is at the 500hpa pressure patterns, the temperatures and precipitation values will probably differ between models, and normally need a forecaster input to get accurate localy). After that not only do the GFS ensembles diverge, but so does GFS & ECMWF so that's all to play for.

The next week doesn't look *especially* mild, except on a couple of days (note the average at this time of year is only slightly below 0), but it looks like the mixed conditions will continue for another week.

The 2m temperatures for Geneva are here: http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT2_Genf_ens.png
Though GFS isn't brilliant with 2m temperatures.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd ignore anything past 3 days. I've been watching it and each run is so different that it is impossible to predict anything. Firstly the blue line was virtually following the 30yr average and ensemble average, then it was up a bit with a cold dip with precipitation on the day I travel to the alps (just to tease), then it was warmer, and now it is up and down all over. See also carled's post in other topic.

Might get a snapshot of the next "N" plots, and see how they compare just for interest. Also, I think each run uses data from differing sources, so they can't be compared directly. Probably need to compare with the equivalent pass from the previous day?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I agree. The models have been up and down like a youknowwhat.

But, on balance, it currently looks like above-average temps next week almost everywhere.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
Might get a snapshot of the next "N" plots, and see how they compare just for interest. Also, I think each run uses data from differing sources, so they can't be compared directly. Probably need to compare with the equivalent pass from the previous day?

Generally that's the case, but each run also uses previous runs as input.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
at least it seems to show the precipitation events as being 'either side' of the most mild moments over the next few days...i guess thats frontal stuff tho which i think i have just about got a handle on. Defeinitely something rumbling for next weekend yes/no?

do you find yourself willing each model to veer towards (below) that thick red line... Twisted Evil

thansk for the input, sorry if that was a daft question!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
and hey presto... next plot comes out (for 7E 46N), and the wiggly blue line that was all over the place and getting colder is now mostly mild and getting warmer Wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
the 6z run for Geneva looks much the same than the previous one i think, maybe i have looked at it too many times and it all blurs into one. There is some seriouc acitivity going on next weekend, blimey! snowHead

Confused
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy