Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Haute Savoie - This Sunday SNOW LINE WELL OVER 2000m again!!!!!!!!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry but the source is Meteo France! Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NorthWestFace, Snowing like you wouldn't believe in Tignes / Val for last 2 days - more snow than you can shake a stick at... I\ve been watching it out of the window ce soir...and skiing in it all day... snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
At this stage, it is looking like zero isotherm across the Alps might hover between 1500 - 3000m for the next 1 - 2 weeks, before edging down to 0 - 1500m toward the end of the month.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I know you love spreading bad news, but really it is still "early season", there have bene plenty of similiar warm spells in previous years. I remember sitting in a T shirt having lunch in jan before....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski,

What has you wearing a T-shirt in January once got to do with anything, I am simply stating a fact i.e. the meteo france forecast (experts not snow loving weather hounds) if you only want to hear good news find a new hobby!!!

By the way it looks worse on Monday!!!!!!!!!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski wrote:
I know you love spreading bad news, but really it is still "early season", there have bene plenty of similiar warm spells in previous years. I remember sitting in a T shirt having lunch in jan before....

That maybe true, but as most resorts close up at the start of April, you could have a 2 month "season" this year.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NorthWestFace wrote:
Sorry but the source is Meteo France! Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

Is it? On the Cham weather center site they say 1700m but these levels always drop as the front moves in.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
if one thing is constant, its the fact that the f/l goes up and down, usually indicating changable weather which has to be good news. It might not be snow to the valley floor but at least it will normally drop some flakes somewhere on the mountain and as Davidof just mentioned they normally drop as the front pushes in, sometimes alarmingly quick as we found to our suprise a couple of years back snowHead

Releax, there is snow, there are runs open and to be honest I had a great day last season skiing in rain, sleet and then snow and its a damn site better than sitting infront of a pc working wink Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof,

In my experience the Cham Weather center always estimate the snow line a lot higher than reality. The Cham Weather center will usually say if the snow line is going to fluctuate.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You need to pay for further ahead, but Chamonix to Saturday iss about or above 2000m:

http://www.meteofrance.com/FR/montagne/prevStation.jsp?LIEUID=SKI0774019

Similar for La Plagne:

http://www.meteofrance.com/FR/montagne/prevStation.jsp?LIEUID=SKI0773009

GFS shows it slightly lower (I think it's a little messy at times): http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/isotherme-0/3h.htm

MeteoFrance have their own model, so I'd guess that their forecast will differ if there's a disagreement between the two. As the 2000m 0C isotherm is not far away, there doesn't need to be a lot of disagreement for a few hundred metres difference.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NorthWestFace, It's snowing, it will snow again, it will stop and probably start again sometime. In life, nothing is certain, it's how we deal with things when our plans turn to Rat-poo-poo. Thanks for trying to ring the bells of gloom, however tiring the tune, it's good to know we have someone in 'Hollyoaks" keeping us up to date with the weather forcasts, saves me opening the windows in the morning and having a look for myself. Twisted Evil
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
NorthWestFace, It's snowing, it will snow again, it will stop and probably start again sometime. In life, nothing is certain, it's how we deal with things when our plans turn to Rat-poo-poo. Thanks for trying to ring the bells of gloom, however tiring the tune, it's good to know we have someone in 'Hollyoaks" keeping us up to date with the weather forcasts, saves me opening the windows in the morning and having a look for myself. Twisted Evil

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

I am actually about 35miles from you at the moment. I think your right it is how we deal with things when they don't go as planned. I for one think it's better not to stick my head in the sand and pretend it's not happening. Can't really beleive the number of snowheads who just don't like facing up to reality.

Anyway have they managed to open any of the lower lifts in Chamonix yet? Looks like it's another of the low resorts going to have a bad season.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
>> Looks like it's another of the low resorts going to have a bad season.

Pray tell how Chamonix is a "low resort"????
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
NorthWestFace, don't go much for the 'glass is half full' outlook then? NehNeh

Seems to me that the snow conditions all over the alpes are quite variable, (and mostly below average snow depths so far) BUT

1) it's still very early in the season
2) there is plenty of skiing to be had at altitude/in some resorts/on man made snow
3) skiing is about more than just snow depths (there's beer and genepi too Laughing )
4) Next week I will be on my third trip of the year. Snow has not been great so far, but fun has been had

Faced with the same reports/forecasts some will say 'great at least there will be some slopes open and we can ski Very Happy ' others will say 'oh no, some slopes are closed, the skiing is limited Sad ' My feeling is that the first group will have the most fun snowHead
latest report
AxsMan, as a mate of mine once said, it's easier to adapt to the conditions than get the conditions to adapt to you. wink
ski holidays
just got back from chamonix, les houches, the lowest area in the valley was completely open.
ski holidays
looking at Praz sur Arly, 1000-1980m so all their skiing under 2000m and they are completely open bar 2 pistes with a current base of 30-70cms., take a look at their site, look at the pictures taken over the last few days and tell me you can't find something to be cheerful about Northwest LOL rolling eyes

There is snow, go play in it....
snow report
NorthWestFace, what exactly is the point posting? I don't get why you feel it necessary to be so negative? Will you only ski in 2+ metres of powder?
snow conditions
Just for the sake of it, I will say I was in Les Arcs Christmas week - plenty of snow to keep me occupied and have a great weeks skiing.

With the snow cannons and expert grooming the runs were holding up well. With the recent snow, anyone going over the next few weeks will have fun.
latest report
kitenski,

Where not talking about SKGB stats re. 3800m (don't really think we can count the Valley Blanche) Cham itself is really quite low altitude skiing. 2500 - 2600m max I think.
latest report
micksup,

i am simply stating the facts - nothing else.
snow report
micksup wrote:
what exactly is the point posting? I don't get why you feel it necessary to be so negative?

In his defense, I don't think it's a requirement to be optimistic to post ... He's just expressing his point of view
snow report
Diarmuid,

You see all we have here is the fact that people pin so much hope and expectation onto the limited skiing time they have that they don’t want to consider it not going as planned.

The majority of people will ski for 6 – 12 days each season, it will cost them a lot of money and use valuable holiday the last thing they want is someone like me telling them it might not be the great conditions they are hoping for.

As a result any time factual information is published that people don’t like they get a little emotional and start to make comments like “I know you love spreading bad news” and then they start the little gang up on whoever is being REALISTIC about the facts as they stand. This also usually includes some misinformation totally unrelated to anything the topic is about.

Seen it many times.
snow report
oh for gods sake!

it rained last week to 2000m before bucketing down with snow, condtions after were great.

it rained last night to 1600m this morning conditions were great.

i do wish people would shut up about how bad it aparently is.

some snow is better than none snow and right now here it is pretty damm good

and it is also very very similar to what it was this time last year.

stop your moanin and groanin and try havin some fun for a change
ski holidays
I would not call skiing at 2000m - 2500m as low. I think Cham town itself could be classed as low (1050m) in terms of skiing but they still seem to get a reasonable smattering of snow at resort level. Looking at all the webcams around there seems to be plenty of the white stuff on offer. Laughing
ski holidays
blimey northwestface cheer up, is your glass ever full??

I don't recall ever seeing a post from you that was positive, this thread for example, could have been "new snow over 2000m forecast, rain below"

Cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
please define great conditions for us then Northwest....?

Is the reality not that it's generally white, that you can ski most of the mountain, that there is some good skiing to be found and equally some poor coverage in places, usually in high traffic areas and at the lower extremities of the ski area.

The pattern is for a slightly warmer week ahead but it looks like there might be some snow too mixed in there. I don't ever remember there being a season where the freezing level was at 0m for 6 months and daily snowfall?!?!?

And the big reality is......more than 3 days out its just a guess anyway Laughing My personal view is that sitting here this time last week looking at rain and rumours of the place i was heading out to questioning whether they could stay open, I look at the cams, they show snow, i look at the nivose, it shows 55cm in town and 70odd at the top, links are open to other resorts and I know for 2 weeks I will be in the mountains. Compared to staring out the window on a grey, miserable Basingstoke I know where I would be more excited to be in another 7 days snowHead snowHead snowHead

Its not been a bumper season so far....so what? wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski wrote:
blimey northwestface cheer up, is your glass ever full??

Completely off topic, I know but I saw a TV cartoon show this week (Simpsons?) where the newspaper headline was
Quote:
"Optimist drowns in half-full bath"
latest report
NorthWestFace wrote:
Diarmuid,

You see all we have here is the fact that people pin so much hope and expectation onto the limited skiing time they have that they don’t want to consider it not going as planned.

The majority of people will ski for 6 – 12 days each season, it will cost them a lot of money and use valuable holiday the last thing they want is someone like me telling them it might not be the great conditions they are hoping for.

As a result any time factual information is published that people don’t like they get a little emotional and start to make comments like “I know you love spreading bad news” and then they start the little gang up on whoever is being REALISTIC about the facts as they stand. This also usually includes some misinformation totally unrelated to anything the topic is about.

Seen it many times.

So what exactly are/can we to do about it? If its GW causing this then we are all responsible in a way. Most will just have to get on with it rather than sulk that its not 3 metres deep on the 5th Jan.
snow report
snowangel.,

like i say people start to get a little emotional about things. at what point did I say things are bad? I stated a fact about a weather prediction??
ski holidays
This is not aimed at anyone, im just bored at work and have been writing moaning emails about the cirkcet all day so ill write another long editorial about my experiences!....

I too worry about the snow, but then i always pack my walking boots and crampons and usually manage to have fun!

I learnt that the hard way...5 years ago when i first really started skiing again properly (ish) i panicked all the time, used to look at all the weather sites, panic about temperature levels (i often have to ski at the end of marhc due to work committments) and think all the snow would be gone, it would be all slushy and i would have a rubbish time.

I used to wonder why all of my mates who i would ski with would never look worried before the holiday...then i realised...its cos they knew they would have fun either way and any skiing is better than sitting here behind my desk and looking at the computer screen.

and you know what, they were always right and i always felt silly for worrying, and trust me i have skiied in weeks that 'on paper' should have been awful (one week i was skiing in 22 degrees in shorts and t shirt..and that was the first day...i have also skiied on cairngorm in the rain on a hard icy snow in 50mph winds dodging grass and rocks, and was with some complete beginners at the time...we all had a great time and laughed at how crazy it was over a few pints of Red Cuillin (they all have come skiing with me since elsewhere).

Perhaps it is us who now need to face up to the fact that our climate is changing (and maybe we have had a part to play in that so what goes around comes around), winters are perhaps getting generally milder...maybe the heady days of the 70s are over...but hey what can you do...lifes too short to worry!

that said, i still cant decide where i wanna ski in 2 weeks!! Snowangel...how is serre che looking these days?!
latest report
 brian
brian
NorthWestFace, perhaps it was the screaming capitals or the 6 sad faces, but I just had this hunch you weren't being very positive rolling eyes
snow report
There's too much bloody positivity on snowHeads! Three cheers for NorthWestFace Smile (or should that be Sad ??)
snow report
tomski01 wrote:
This is not aimed at anyone, im just bored at work and have been writing moaning emails about the cirkcet all day so ill write another long editorial about my experiences!....

I too worry about the snow, but then i always pack my walking boots and crampons and usually manage to have fun!

I learnt that the hard way...5 years ago when i first really started skiing again properly (ish) i panicked all the time, used to look at all the weather sites, panic about temperature levels (i often have to ski at the end of marhc due to work committments) and think all the snow would be gone, it would be all slushy and i would have a rubbish time.

I used to wonder why all of my mates who i would ski with would never look worried before the holiday...then i realised...its cos they knew they would have fun either way and any skiing is better than sitting here behind my desk and looking at the computer screen.

and you know what, they were always right and i always felt silly for worrying, and trust me i have skiied in weeks that 'on paper' should have been awful (one week i was skiing in 22 degrees in shorts and t shirt..and that was the first day...i have also skiied on cairngorm in the rain on a hard icy snow in 50mph winds dodging grass and rocks, and was with some complete beginners at the time...we all had a great time and laughed at how crazy it was over a few pints of Red Cuillin (they all have come skiing with me since elsewhere).

Perhaps it is us who now need to face up to the fact that our climate is changing (and maybe we have had a part to play in that so what goes around comes around), winters are perhaps getting generally milder...maybe the heady days of the 70s are over...but hey what can you do...lifes too short to worry!

that said, i still cant decide where i wanna ski in 2 weeks!! Snowangel...how is serre che looking these days?!

With these hgih temperatures next week you might as well not even bother going anywhere Tomski LOL It's all doom and gloom in the Alps, I'm trying to cancel my holiday at the end of next week now as I thought it was ok but just realised i had my head in the sand Laughing Laughing Laughing snowHead snowHead I'd say go high, about 3600m and you should just be able to ski back to your refuge anything below will be cr*p..... rolling eyes
ski holidays
I have just spent a fantastic day around a domain where the very top of the skiing is only a fraction over 2000m. Super snow, pretty well all runs open, mostly sunshine. Incredibly much better than we expected for this week. Tomorrow looks like another wonderful day and we plan to get right down the bottom of Praz sur Arly and see what it's like down there. By this time next week it might not be so good, but it's important to enjoy the current day, the current run, the current hot chocolate, and not start fretting that it will all end in tears. But I do like to keep up with the weather predictions to advise people who might be coming out here about the best times to choose, and to give them a rough idea what to expect. So far this last week, as almost the whole of last season, the snow-forecast.com predictions about amount of snowfall have been wrong - we have had more than they forecast, consistently. Yesterday they forecast 1cm and we got (according to meteo france's own NIVOSE measurement, not guess work) 10cms.
snow report
Enjoy the long pole across to the Ban Rouge Pam, i did it last March in a gale with not a soul about Laughing Laughing

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 5-01-07 17:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:
with not a sole about

Can't say I'm surprised. wink
snow report
ahem, spelling was never my strong point Embarassed
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Would this be a bad plaice to insert a fish gag ? rolling eyes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy