Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginner - still confused over where to go... help please

Poster: A snowHead
Ok..
I am getting even more confused Sad

I have to contend with the best deal from:

different operators
final all in price for 2
different countries
different resorts with varying slope quality, number of begineer , intermediate runs, catering qualities, distance from slopes
different dates
different ski pass rates per country
different snowfall rates
different special deals
etc etc etc

All I know is that I can go for 7days, from the 20th Jan, but need to be back by Jan 31st. The gf is a beginner, I am more intermediate.
Would like to go to Canada, but realistically cant afford to pay £650+ each for the flights, accom and pass.
Struggling to find decent deals, and wonder if it will be even harder if I leave it last minute?

You then find a half decent price for Europe, but either its a distance from the slopes, the catering / accom is rubbish, there are not enough easy / intermiediate runs etc, 5hour transfer after landing... etc...

I know thats a big blurb.. but I am sure every other newbie must struggle too. (my last 2 trips were school organised)

Can somebody please advise what myself and my gf should do?

The cheaper the better (prob £500 limit each for the holiday before expenses when there)
Somewhere with enough slopes for a beginner , intermediate
Somewhere with enough powder to make it more enjoyable and easier.
Somewhere with a good nightlife
Somewhere that isnt -20 degrees or my gf will complain all week snowHead

I really have done my best to search, but its a total minefield Embarassed

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thats some list.... I'd say Sallbach.

Big wide and flatish slopes, big area if you need mileage, Small town if you are near the High St so short walk to the lifts.
Can't vouch for the ski schools but night life is good and the hotels work hard for their money. Most of the big TO's go there so you should get availability and a discount.

Forget the weather, it is what it is... and Canada is more likley to have -20 at that time of the year.

A nice TO package in Sallbach or Zell am Zee, Soll or the Ski welt will also fit the bill, IMV
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks... Smile

I will have a look.

PS: Any opinions welcome of course Very Happy

Agree about the cold.. I dont think you notice too much once you get going
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It might sound like a cop out, but I'd say it doesn't matter where you go as long as there's some snow. Things like transfer times and temperatures will be long forgotten as long as you can clock mileage up every day.

But as your girlfriend is a beginner, one consideration you probably will want to take is how far it is from the hotel/apartment to the ski school. A long slog before they learn the joys of it can taint someone's opinion of skiing for life.

If I was in your position I'd be hovering around sites like lastminute.com, and when a deal comes up that seems to suit you, check the snow. If that all fits, go for it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
smashed, One of the few problems with snowHead is that there are as many views as there are registered members.

I would seriously prioritise your GF's needs for her first outing on the snow. So picking a beginner friendly resort would be top of my list of priorities (subject to cash always being the factor). You will be pandering to her needs for a few days inb any case and she won't be joining you on the Steep and deep ...You then need to decise whether a TO or a DIY jobbie. N America just isn't an option for you on that budget realistically.

Then decide type of resort - Charm, Party-ville or whatever

I don't have a clue about Austria but 'resort height' doesn't look like being a problem at this time... some you might consider :- Les Arcs, Flaine, Les Gets, Saas Fee .. ?
wobbler welcome to snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I agree with Agenterre, but I would also leave it until the week before, check on here as often people might have late availability for this time of the years, and if you look on somewhere like ifyouski.com then find the details of chalet with a deal, and then take it from there. It will help to reduce the cost and reduce the options...However it does depend a bit on your GF's attitude, if she like her 'creature comforts' then you need to take that in mind..when chosing the chalet. Then check the details of the resort online in terms of number of green and blue runs, and check that the chalet is near these..You might want to check 'other things' to do if theres a danger she might not take to it. And if you want nightlife then Austria definately has the reputation for having the 'apres' nailed. Personally I'd second Les Arcs, La Plagne and Alpe D'huez as all being resonably begineer friendly..and Courchevel 1850 (but it's bloody expensive)

If going to france my topest of top tips, is choose a ski school which is "anyone but ESF.." - lookf for the independent provider in that resort - I think Ski New Gen are absolutely fab, but they're limited in locations so often other similar types in other resorts.

Have Fun!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thewobbler, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

smashed, I'd 2nd JT's suggestion of Saalbach or Zell am See.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
smashed, Peisey Vallandry or Les Arc 1800 have lots of big open green and blue runs and plenty of tree shelter if the weather closes in. Also that side of the hill gets the afternoon sun so it doesn't chill down so fast in the afternoon when you're getting tired as a newbie learner. The bowl above Plan Peisey/Valandry is a crackin' place to learn and NewGen have a school there with a very good rep . . but at this late stage you'd need to contact them for places available.
Arc1800 has a nightlife . . . the others have a bit more night wink

Flying Squirrel has a bar in Plan that's more than worth a visit . . . good craique, good beer and good burgers

Hope that helps, Oh if you do go for a cheapie there don't stay in the Mont Blanc unless you have low level of expectations. The bar is great, but the hotel needs a cruise missile refurb.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Smile Thanks for all taking the time to help me out Smile

I guess it just makes you apprehensive when you havent managed to book up yet. I want to do it last minute , but you have to have the guts to do it.
I looked at thomascook earlier and found that it was cheaper to book up 4 people to passo tonale than it was for 2 people. How ridiculous is that Sad

To be honest, I hadnt even considered Austria. Just 1 of those places that never appealed (bigoted view). Yet looking at it, it looks great.
Still havent found a decent deal just yet tho.

Thanks for the gf advice too. I always do my best to ensure that I dont get it in the ear all day. Luckily she is a bit sporty, so is generally ok when it comes to outdoor environments Smile She has has a few lessons, so she should at least get both skis on without falling over Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
smashed, Try Soll, they have some snow now, plenty to do at night, good ski school, skiwelt is big but not too daunting and they usually have some good deals.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Its great to see that people have good holidays at various locations Smile Good reassurance believe me.
Now if I only didnt have to waste 90% searching time as a result of under occupancy charges...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
smashed, Closer to the date 'under-occupancy' charges will disappear ( and probably will if you phone them up anyway!!) just tell them that you will book but only if they waive that charge - and ask for a discount ... .... for that week you will have no problem anyway.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Really?? I hope you are right.. Smile

Looked on lastminute.com and could go to Val Thorens for £265 each. The review seems to suggest that its pretty good. Only 2 drawbacks are the possible lack of snow, and the allocation on arrival. From looking it appears that all allocation is embedded within the resort, but not too sure how shabby some of it may be.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I mentioned Austria and places like Soll because they excel in catering for Newbie Brits and the bars are lively straight off-slope. Lots of like minded beginners there as well so apart from carrying her skis in the morning that may well be all you have to do... No promises here though. If she is learning with lots of other Brits you have cracked it...

Skiing in Austria is an all round experience whereas in France Skiing can be the be-all and end-all which once you have made up your mind thats what you want, is great... For a 1st time experience I'd go to Soll, Saalbach and Zell and Zee... in that order. The latter having a glacier..
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
smashed wrote:
Only 2 drawbacks are the possible lack of snow, and the allocation on arrival.

I would always avoid allocation on arrival if I could. Think about why these places are not fully booked already. At least if you can find out the accomoation name you can do a bit of research in the brochures or the interweb.
latest report
Search on igluski.com next week for catered chalet for 2. Sort by price. Pick the first one that says it's right by the lifts and nursery slopes and doesn't look like army barracks. Check the resorts own website to see pistemap and check www.wtss.co.uk for a short review. Check the current snowe report for the resort on igluski itself. If all look good. Book Happy

Seriously - thats pretty much what I used to do - they cover all the major operators, have helpful staff and a good search engine. If you are feeling overwhelmed it really can help. Self catering can be hard for just two, but catered chalet (or hotel if you fancy) is pretty straightforward and tends to get the deeper discounting on late offers. I'm sure they'll be loads around as the forcast was so bad till recently.

Personal favourite for beginner/intermediate is les arcs, but I'm taking 10 beginners to valloire this year and it looks great. Personally I'd avoid the 3 vallees as they are rather expensive and busy for a beginner/intermediate - prefer somewhere smaller, less busy and cheaper for a first trip.

Happy Hunting!

aj xx
snow report
agree on avoiding alloc on arrival btw - definately a bad plan - location of chalet much more important than resort most of the time.

I also don't agree that austria is better for beginners - ime ski in/ski out has been more the make or break point for how much people enjoyed themselves and we've always been able to find lively bars in the major french resorts. Maybe I just have lazy friends or maybe it's just that we prefer to go home and get changed before the drinking begins (ski boots are not exactly elegant footwear!)

aj xx
snow conditions
All valid points Smile
I did realise after posting that allocation on arrival could have a number of drawbacks.

The hunt continues....
ski holidays
AJ - I like your post, that was what I was trying to say but you put it more succintly..

Smashed - .If you can rub along with most people I'd recommend then looking for a last minute 'chalet share' - often the a group of 8 takes most of a chalet and the last room or rooms don't go or go to a couple on a last minute deal - this could give you great people to ski with whilst the other half is out learning. Plus you can then talk about it over dinner and get tips on the next resort to go to if the gf is getting into it.

I''ll probably adopt this approach when looking for my second holiday in March...

Smahsed - I'd avoid Val Thorens - it's at 2100m which is great if you are complete snowHead snowHead but it can also be very barren, and not much to do if don't want to ski or want an afternoon off. The majority of the austrian resorts are based in the bottom of the valleys and tend to be more 'townie' rather than "block on a hill" which you can get with the french resorts.
snow report
Just back from Soll - our first skiing ever and it was great for beginners and the intermediates seemed happy too - that was with a lot of artifical snow but they have real stuff now too.
It wasnt cold and ski schools good.
Apres ski also lively but not a huge resort so limited to several popular places.
As a Brit newbie felt very comfortable there and there is a cheap ski garage next to slopes so no hiking back to hotel in boots.
Food and drink not expensive and good cheap Spars for self catering.
snow report
Thanks for the info sally Very Happy
snow report
Next question...picking up on what a.j. said.

What are chalets like? Is it just like a mini hotel? Is it secure? Or is it lots of rooms with a shared bathroom etc? I dont think the other half would be so keen for that Sad
snow conditions
Kind of a cross between a hotel and a private house. they vary significantly in standard of fittings and level of service provided. Most chalets nowadays provide an en-suite for every bedroom, but some can't and have shared facilities. Should be able to find the details on the website where you book.

This one's quite nice..but might be a little out of your budget: http://www.descent.co.uk/index/160/1/Ferme_de_Moudon_%2810%29

wheras this is a bit cheaper and looks very nice indeed: - http://www.skialacarte.co.uk/accommodation/
ski holidays
cheers for the info bertie Smile

Do most people go for a chalet over a hotel ?
I had pretty much ruled out a chalet every time I had seen it on my search results.. assuming that it would be a bit awkward
latest report
Oh Chalets are an English thing...the french only self-cater and the austrians only stay in hotels (as far as i can see)

Like anything to do with snowHead snowHead snowHead everyone has their own opinion, some people love them, some people hate them....for me I prefer to be catered for rather than having to faff with self-catering...makes the holiday much more relaxing...I tend to find the hotels a little anonymous - i.e. we stayed in one smallish one in cervinia for 4 days last easter and whilst nice you didn't get to chat to other guests, whereas with the chalet then it tend very much to be "everyone sits down for dinner together"..

If you're just going as the 'two of you' then you might prefer a chalet to meet some other people - i.e. you could take the gf to ski school and then hopefully there might be others in the chalet that you could ski with in the morning which is more social than going on your own (assuming you're not also going for lessons) - plus they tend to be a nicer place to go and chill after a day on the slopes, rather than just going to your 'hotel room' of if the other half wants an 'afternoon off'

Downsides: -
a) the people mix might not work - if you're a 'stay-in' and the rest of chalet are p1ss heads then you get woken up when they crawl home at 2/3/4/5.

b)keys - ususally there's a limited number of keys (usueally 2/3/4 depending on size) so sometimes can need a little bit of plannig to solve that issue...

c) the facilities can sometimes be not quite what was expected or the cooking can be a bit crap..but I've only had one bad chalet experience and that was with worst choice (I didn't book it) where the evening meals weren't enough for a kid, let alone a 15st guy hungry after a long night on the bevvies and a longer day on the slopes..
latest report
Welcome [b]smashed [.b].

Key thing to remember on this forum:

Ask of 10 snowheads, you'll get 11 answers, and all 12 will be right.

I enjoy Chalets, I love apartments, I can live with hotels.

Accomodation: you can be lucky or unlucky, and it won't be type dependent. So long as you are prepared to take the rough with the smooth, and fairly laid back about things generally, you'll be fine whichever you choose.

Key things, as has been said, imho, are

a) quality of instruction for first timers, and
b) ski-in/out. You don't want to be traipsing all over the place after a long day's exercise / before you've even started.

I Like the suggestion of Plan Peisey - we are over the hill (in so many ways...) in Les Arcs 1950 and often take early learners over to PP becasue of the learning bowl on the top of the hill, and the tree lined routes down below. Most of the village accomodation is either ski to door, or a few minutes at most on the other side of the main road up from the valley.

And there is some nightlife around, and some quiet, 'dinner a deux places' too.

just fyi
First time I took my wife skiing, I thought it was going to be my last visit - crap snow, poor weather, awful instruction, bad hire equipment, she suffered big time for 4 days. Then she 'got it', and we've been going for the past 15 years. So worry not, if she is as you say, of a sporting bent, you'll be fine wherever, with whomsoever, and whenever you go.
snow report
smashed, My wife and I were in your position just over a year ago and I remember being completely bewildered by all the choices availabe.

I did lots of asking around here and came to my own conclusions, so we went to Courchevel 1850 and we had a brilliant time. Since then I have learnt much more, so for instance I now know that most people seem to organise trips themselves. Package tour operators seem to vary a lot - we went with Ski World and they were brilliant, but I have heard lots of people say bad things about Crystal.

From the information I have picked up, Courchevel seems the most suitable for beginners in the Three Valleys, but I have equally heard very good things about Les Deux Alpes and Les Arcs. I don't know much about Austria or Switzerland.

My tip for you would be to go somewhere with a good English Speaking ski school - that made a massive difference for us

We didn't have ski in/ski out, but to be fair we were pretty close. Our key stipulation was not to have to get on a bus to go to the slopes.

Hope that helps a bit, but I would suggest you be very clear about exactly what you are looking for and that should make choosing easier.
ski holidays
smashed,

If you are thinking of chalets then mostly they will be in France. You might want to try Smittenbysnow in Belleplan ( La Plagne) which is ski in ski-out but not for a beginner in the 1st few days, for sure, google them but you need to organise transport, I think. Its a 6 room apartment chalet, all twins.

The thing with some chalets is that the best bed option can be taken so check what the room arrangement is at booking stage. Lots of deals but its a choice between couples, families
or singles..which might not suit as they party hardest.

Hotel in Soll is still the best bet..IMV
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

NewGen have a school there with a very good rep . . but at this late stage you'd need to contact them for places available.

this is a v important point. it is far easier to find last minute beds than to find last minute places in a top quality ski school. I agree with those who have said that for a first holiday the quality of tuition is make or break and if your gf is good at sports and a quick learner she will not appreciate spending time in a group of 12 with an instructor whose English is limited and where the group moves at the pace of the slowest learner. Find a ski school with maximum 6 pupils in a group and be prepared to pay a bit more for it. If you can find a good chalet deal then with free plonk with dinner and a long day out skiing you won't need to spend much money on night life. Spend it on lessons instead. The"extras" in hotels (e.g. a few cups of tea and a cake when you come in from skiing, free in a chalet) can add up to a lot of money and drinking your duty frees from tooth mugs in a hotel bedroom is a very sad way of spending time. If you want to go off and do some more challenging skiing on your own it's more likely that she will find someone to ski with if you stay in a chalet, maybe one with about 16 guests. Some chalet holidays include tuition - eg Simon Butler in Megeve. I've not stayed there but have read lots of positive comments and Megeve has plenty of easy and intermediate skiing and great scenery. You don't have to eat in the expensive restaurants....

But Courchevel is also excellent and doesn't have to be expensive; 1650 has reasonable accommodation options and some super slopes of its own, often with better snow than other bits of the 3V.

A few other points:

Make sure your gf doesn't get given skis longer than chin level.

Make sure when you ski together that you go behind her, at a respectful distance, so she can go at her own pace and you can help her up if she falls. And try to remember how scary slopes can seem when you are a beginner. Maybe you should take snowboarding lessons - that would help you to remember!

Final point - been made already but bears repeating - you need to prioritise your requirements. For a first holiday with your gf I suggest you put finding powder right at the bottom of the list, especially given the prospects for some weeks of extreme avalanche risk.

Another final point - for your first holiday I would stick with one of the decent Tour Operators. We have our own apartment now and have done some DIY holidays but there's a lot to sort out at first, and a good TO will help a lot. We found Ski Olympic very good, and reasonably priced, and also enjoyed a really cheap last minute bargain with Ski World.
snow report
smashed, La Rosiere, France - Evolution2 ski school oreven the excellent local ESF. Great place 'nuff said Very Happy
ski holidays
smashed,

Thompsom's example @ £379 in La plagne, HB

http://www.thomsonski.co.uk/thomsonskiDisplayContent.do?siteId=79&packageType=ALL&specialOffersCode=SHG_PCMS_ID_I2907_0000485

from a choice of airports.

Don't know the hotel/Accom, just a quick flick through the Ads and this is what I came up with very quickly
snow conditions
http://www.skiolympic.co.uk/specials.html
21st Jan £295 La Rosiere Very Happy
snow report
smashed, I'll echo Frosty the Snowman's, recommendation for Ski Olympic in La Ros. The company has a very good ethic to both its staff and customer. La Ros, simply because of its smaller size if you're not able to traverse the pass to Italy, may not have as much newbie learning space as some of the other areas, but it is a fine resort. Though if smashed wants to blast over the are and still hook up with his GF at lunch etc. or explore a wider area with her, La Ros may not offer the absolute best option . . . though that is a dam good price with a very good company Confused
snow conditions
Lunch in Italy or meet the girlfreind.................hmmmm tricky one there Masque,

You can always get another girlfriend, but the link may be shut for the next 6 days Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, there is a Freudian clue to your priorities in your question . . . and when Mrs. FtS twigs it she'll mince your balls for burgers wink
snow report
Masque, Served with fresh fries and a nice side salad hopefully wink
snow conditions
Well if we are playing the 'pick me pick me' game Happy Heres what a quick trawl of iglu brings me in terms of HB hotel on the 20th Jan for 7 days

Montgenevre - great for beginners and a slopeside HB hotel £299 (stanstead) £240 (manchester)
http://www.igluski.com/propertyinfo.cfm?pid=22875&dep=STN&suppliercode=890&nextSeason=1

Serre Chevalier (not sure which bit of SC is best other on here can tell you if it's actually a good location) £305(stan)£240(man)
http://www.igluski.com/propertyinfo.cfm?pid=7422&dep=STN&suppliercode=890&nextSeason=1

Peisey in les arcs - fab for skiing but a bit quiet £330(gat)
http://www.igluski.com/propertyinfo.cfm?pid=22870&dep=LGW&suppliercode=890&nextSeason=1

Top and bottom are my picks as I think the Sc one might be a bit out of town...If you can fly from manchester those are good deals I think

aj xx
latest report
Eek.. there are suddenly loads more replies. Will digest it all and come back with more questions no doubt Smile
latest report
Thanks for all your help Smile

I have booked a holiday... to Steamboat USA Smile could have gone to Winter Park for fractionally more, but preferred the location of Steamboat

Leaving on 24Jan, so gf has to rearrange 2days at work.

Did it via crystalski... £330 for a week, and another £96 for ski hire. (each)

Seems like a bargain to me. Please dont tell me that I did bad.

Its a long transfer, but it will be worth it Smile

Only thing I am unsure of is whether it includes transfer, it didnt mention it Sad

Quite a few good crystal deals just gone on. Worth a gander.

Well excited
latest report
I'm sure you'll enjoy it, but
smashed wrote:

and another £96 for ski hire. (each)

Wow, that's expensive Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy