Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche Les Arcs

Poster: A snowHead
Just heard that someone died in Les Arcs yesterday in an avalanche. I've not been able to find any info. Apparently off piste near 1950.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sadly not unexpected since the Warning went from 1 to 4 overnight, and despite the efforts of the resorts to warn people to stay on piste.
The local radio was broadcasting 'Do not go off piste' warnings in English on Wednesday morning Sad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://mysnowsports.com/Forums/viewtopic/p=3957.html#3957

Found this ref to it.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
17 year old lad apparently. Conditions are pretty avalanche pro from what everyone says. Mild weather today, more snow due.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Read Pistehors.com. They are the mackdaddy for avalanche coverage in the French Alps. It was a young French lad who bought the farm in Les Arcs. With rain and mild weather on the way, there are gonna be, sadly, more headlines.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Four avalanche deaths in the last couple of days in France. Pistehors.com for details.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
[quote="Whitegold"].....It was a young French lad who bought the farm in Les Arcs[/quote]

A sad event and I'm not making light of it but is 'bought the farm' a euphemism or did he actually buy a farm?

Edit: having previewed, it seems I have a problem quoting (as mentioned on the 'what happened to snowHead s last night?' thread
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
'bought the farm' is a euphemism along the lines of "kick the bucket". No agrictultural property was purchased
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Red Leon, I think I read it started in US air force circles, where when a pilot died, the insurance/compensation payment went to the wife and allowed them to "buy the farm". Read "The Right Stuff" by Tom Wolfe for more details. see here also
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
all informations about this avalanche in Les Arcs here: (but in french)

http://www.skipass.com/forums/enmontagne/stations_ski_france/sujet-63045.821071.html#821071

(visit my little non-lucrative blog about freeride in the Vosges, with maps, cartography, aerial and satellit photographs of the spots, meteo, webcams... 0% ads, 100 % powpow!

http://vosgesfreeride.zeblog.com

be careful

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 4-01-07 20:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
vosgesfreeride, careful lad . . . Evil or Very Mad

Pimping powder that we can't experience is a far more offensive than pimping a chalet . . wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sorry I'm french and don't understand 'expressions' , could you use simple words please? Puzzled
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Masque,
Quote:
could you use simple words please

Often been said Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
could you transate it please Masque???? Shocked
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
vosgesfreeride, what masque is trying to say is that advertising your experiences with fresh, powdery snow whilst we are in wet, slightly warm England is worse than someone advertising their chalet.

Chez snowHeads: chalet pimping = advertising your chalet.
snow conditions
vosgesfreeride, Je suis désolé, j'étais trop paresseux pour voir que vôtre est un emplacement français . . . and my French skills are very poor.

'Pimp / Pimping' is a way of selling something strongly . . . in this case I was giving you a gentle admonishment (réprimande ?) for teasing us with talk of powder. We can get very jealous when we cannot play in the snow so we play at being angry (taquinez ?) with those who we think are having have so much fun wink
ski holidays
hoppo

ok, thanks a lot, I understood!!!

happy new year, and be patient, I'm sure that it will snow soon (I hope so...) Razz
snow report
a picture in this thread of an (the?) avalanche in Les Arcs yesterday....

http://lessaisies.aceboard.fr/87812-58-3979-14-Remise-jour-bulletin-Meteo-Neige-Suivi-Meteo-2006-2007.htm#vb

great photo, but with such instability you'd be mad to head off piste... rolling eyes
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy