Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to avoid sitting back?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

there's a right way and the other way.

a) Relax down, bringing shoulders over knees, hips over ankles, feel movable pressure under feet, move pressure to ball of foot.

b) Or, tense calves and stand up on the balls of the feet within the boot, totally lifting the heel inside the boot

True. But even the wrong way is better than sitting back hanging your bum off your poor old quad muscles. Just standing up can help.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No, it's still worng, just in a different way. Your calves will get whacked out instead of quads. Calves are smaller than quads and 'the knock' will set in even quicker.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thirty06, in ski boots, standing on the balls of your feet really doesn't involve much calf muscle tensing. Not talking about tippy toes here.... it's just push hips forward a bit, really.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
"More f*cking, less sh!tting" more or less did it for me. I like pam w's balls of the feet thing, also the high thighs. By means of illustration, stand up in you socks and mimic the back seat position i.e. weight on your heels, then balance on the balls of your feet. The difference in stability and agility is remarkable.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all. Not sure I really got anything more than I already knew. NehNeh The problem is my injury and how to cope with it nothing else.

Going to try the balls of feet and hands forward for sure. This is IF I have the problem this year. Hopefully it wont happen. snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Think of just standing on your feet with equal weight distribution rather than worry what you're standing on - people can misconstrue "balls of your feet". A goalkeeper type stance is the athletic position you want to be, try jumping on the spot from there a few times then pausing ready to jump again - that's pretty much the posture you want to be skiing in. When in your boots, aim for equal weight along the whole footbed. Jumping with skis on forces you to centre too - if you're way backseat, try just bringing both your tails slightly off the ground with a little hop. Definitely can't do that if you're backseat.

I don't see how your injury can force you back seat in any other way than psychologically, given that a correct skiing stance is the most biomechanically efficient position your body can adopt, so will cause the least strain to your thighs.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

try just bringing both your tails slightly off the ground with a little hop.

that's one of easiski's favourites, and I now tend to do it as a kind of reflex, on the way down the first easy run from the top of our mountain. If it's the first time for a while, or the snow is nasty, or I can't see, or I'm cold, or if anything is other than perfect, I try to make sure I do quite a few. also stepping from foot to foot whilst doing it, so lifting the left tail, then the right, etc etc. Preferably in time to my music, of course. wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam_w
thirty06, in ski boots, standing on the balls of your feet really doesn't involve much calf muscle tensing. Not talking about tippy toes here.... it's just push hips forward a bit, really.

I know that, you know that, I never cease to be amazed by the number of pupils who interpret "Feel the weight on the balls of the feet" as being set for an entre-chat. their heels are way up from where they should be inside the boot and they try to prevent this by tightening their boot clips more and more because they felt their heels rise ("So stop raising them then".)

In all, I think that language is so misleading that we should teach skiing by means of operant conditioning through electric shocks.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes, most of the above is true.
I often had to say to myself 'just throw your body down the mountain' and the skis mostly followed.

Now I still say to myself 'Im throwing myself down the mountain' and the grin AND skis follow Smile

Its very difficult to fall over the fronts of skis, and its amazing what you can get them to do when the tips are all loaded up...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My French friend tells me the way to nip this problem in the bud when teaching youngsters is to stick prickly pine branches inside the back of the boots... at least that's what her teachers did to her twenty or so years ago... Shocked
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lampbus wrote:
Yes, most of the above is true.
I often had to say to myself 'just throw your body down the mountain' and the skis mostly followed.

Now I still say to myself 'Im throwing myself down the mountain' and the grin AND skis follow Smile

Its very difficult to fall over the fronts of skis, and its amazing what you can get them to do when the tips are all loaded up...

totally my experience too! I might be small and light, but so are terriers and they dont take any prisoners Laughing Not so sure about difficult to go over the front of the skis, well at least not if you have dodgy but developing offpiste technique in soft stuff, managed it several times last winter in the Scottish softstuff with comedy results Embarassed
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Many thanks peeps! Just back from a week in Belle Plagne and I had no probs whatsoever.
I was really worried that my skiing days could be finished but did a few of the above (particularly the loose boots) and hey ho was all good. I still tend to the back seat if the conditions get tough but at least I can a. ski and b. know that I can cure it.

Separate note. Wore my Snowheads hat all week and not one person said hi! I figured a few people would at least be aware. Still I spread the word to anyone who would listen. snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Michael B wrote:
Separate note. Wore my Snowheads hat all week and not one person said hi! I figured a few people would at least be aware.

Oh they were aware alright - well aware... wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi There,
Try using your ankles more. Practice extending and bending without opening up the ankle joint. Aim to stay perpendicular to the slope as you point your skis downhill.
Flocon
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy