Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix

Poster: A snowHead
Found a chalet in Chamonix that deal exclusively for indepenent travellers (Cold Fusion), anyone have any experiences?

I have been to Chamonix before to do some walking in the summer so know its a lovely part of the world, but i have never skiied there. I have heard it is quite difficult skiing for a 'plateau' intermediate and that it is quite fragented and hard to get around.

does anyone have any experiences that can share before i cough up the cold hard cash?

Going in 2.5 weeks time is it likely that there will be snow enough, its not looking great at the moment - and i know the level of the town is fairly low.

would i be better off going to 3V or somewhere where its a bit higher? (not so many solo traveller chalets i can see apart from this Cold Fusion one - but i can and will keep my options open at this stage!). Is the 'ski mt banc' liftpass worth it, or is it too much travelling about - like the sound of italy for a day.

any help much appreciated Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tomski01, there is some decent skiing for the level of ability that you describe. I would have described myself as that when I went 2/3 years ago.

La Tour is a great cruisy area and accessible to all levels with some lovely tree lined runs. You would also find plenty to keep you occupied at the other areas too. You are right that it is fragmented, and you would be best picking an area and sticking there for the day, though the bus system is very efficient.

There are quite possibly some runs that you may not want to do, but there would still be loads that you could.

While the Vallee Blanche would probably be within your capability, it may not be open when you go.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tomski01, I must say I am a big fan of Chamonix. It's one of the few resorts that actually feels like a real town. Added to the spectacular scenery and the options to do various other activities, I would place it top of my list.

Of course there are downsides. It is fragmented, usually one decides in the morning where to go and you stick with that for the day. However the areas are quite big and you will not be constrained for one day. The other major downside is that it's full of good skiers so generally after a snowfall the most accessible off piste is tracked out in hours. It's amazing to see practically all the mountain tracked while the avalanche warning is 3 or 4! Oh and the other downside is that the snow can be patchy or so I have heard. I've never seen that but then I usually decide to go there after a recent snowfall and never book more than 4 days in advance
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am a bit worried that everyone in Chamonix will intimidate me off the slopes a bit as a definite intermediate (as opposed to anything more!), i am also quite worried about this potential mild weather that may be coming. Would people advice waiting and seeing and hoping for the best with some good deals...or should i bite the bullet and go for this Cold Fusion place while there is still space?

i think i was kind of hoping for ski-in ski out, but havent skiied on me tod before so was hoping for stay somehwree where i would definitely meet some people (which i def would in this place).

ahh the dilemmas! Shocked
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tomski01, How could the possibility of me wearing you in my teeth be intimidating? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, er, now im worried! Skullie

Your signature is inspiring!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
[quote="tomski01"]I am a bit worried that everyone in Chamonix will intimidate me off the slopes a bit as a definite intermediate (as opposed to anything more!), i am also quite worried about this potential mild weather that may be coming. Would people advice waiting and seeing and hoping for the best with some good deals...or should i bite the bullet and go for this Cold Fusion place while there is still space?

i think i was kind of hoping for ski-in ski out, but havent skiied on me tod before so was hoping for stay somehwree where i would definitely meet some people (which i def would in this place).

ahh the dilemmas! Shocked[/quote]

Chamonix is the one of the top 3 skiing resorts on the planet. Amazing on- and off-piste.

It is fine for intermediates, awesome for experts. Snow conditions right now are reasonably good. It has just dumped a foot or two.

The downside is traveling to the slopes. The several ski areas are separated along several miles of the valley floor. Much time is spent in lines and on buses. It is somewhat annoying.

For a modest rider looking for ski-in-ski-out, there are better places to go than Chamonix. You might be better off looking at Courchevel(s), Les Arcs 1800, La Plagne or Avoriaz.

Good luck.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Tomski
You'll be there a week after me! Also my first time - although I'm on an instruction course - but this is the hotel we're staying at http://www.verthotel.com/ which also sounds like a fun place to meet people.
The course says its for beginners - but is pitched at people that already know how to snowboard - which to me is intermediate - so I'm expecting that they wouldn't have stayed in Chamonix if we weren't going to have plenty of red/blue slopes for us to reconstruct our technique!

I'm not worrying about snow even though its not as high as elsewhere as this is the time of year when you'd expect the base to really start building up... Have been warned on a separate thread though that it might be very cold!

It may not be ski in/ski out but I've found that if it isn't - you usually end up with a more social/town atmosphere - although I can see how for families it can be a godsend!

cheers
MM
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I just arrived back from Chamonix last night and conditions were excellent, apparently the valley received the most amount of snow in the french alps and i can believe it.

I skiied Grand Montet on the 2nd when it didn't until just before 12 and Les Houches on the 3rd, 1st lift both times. Grand Montet was wintery to say the least with only the main cable car to the mid station and the Joran, tabe and roujon chairs open due to winds and volume of snow However that was where you wanted to be anyway for the tree's as visilibility would have been fairly limited. Snow conditions was extremely good with consistent knee deep powder on the top sections of the home run and in the small bowl, gullies and trees below the tabe chair. Of course being chamonix this was skiied out very quickly but i would expect good on piste conditions pretty much guaranteed for Jan once everything is pisted and of course the top lift is still to open.

Les Houches yesterday morning was quite sensational, at about 9.30/10am the weather turned to clear blue and the area just looked spectacular with all the snow on the trees and the spindrift being blown of the top of the peaks along the valley, i got some good photo's which i will try to post. Snow was excellent with approx 30/40cms very dry powder among the trees and much more in any little dips . The off piste from the top of the Kandahar chair through the tree's was particularly good deep untouched powder and the perfect pitch , it was also extremely quiet until about 11.30, i imagine many of the off piste enthusiasts had headed for GM as the Brochard and Herse chairs were opening for the 1st time since the dump.

I didn't ski Le Tour which most people tend to use for boarding lessons but i did drive up there to pick someone up and there was a serious amount of snow all the way up from argentiere. All in all you should have great piste condiditions throughout the valley and if it snows again the off piste will be even better now most of the rocks are covered....note avalanche warnings though someone was buried close to the top the brochard lift and sadly later died. He was wearing no avalanche gear and it took them an hour approx to find find even with 20/30 people searching a small area just off piste.

I also stayed in the Vert Hotel as a friend is a part owner, you'll have a great time there, the foods great, it's one of the best bars to drink in chamonix and there will be plenty of like minded people. Some friends had snow boarding lessons from their affiliated instructor and found them to be excellent Additionally the people that run the bar and the restaurant are all top guys. 2 tips for you though, 1stly bring ear plugs, it's a busy bar and the music tends to come through quite loudly into the rooms at the end of the corridor on the 1st floor and also try and bring some sort of travel pillow as the hotel one's are wafer thin and you're guaranteed a sore neck by the end of the week. Have a great trip.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the tips about Vert Hotel!
I thought it would be noisy and have asked that we are in rooms as far away as possible from the bar - might just call them and check...
although I know it would be great to be in the bar most nights - I'm expecting that they might work us hard on the course!
Normally i like quiet places but I thought it would be more fun to stay with everyone else from the course rather than try to find my own accomodation...
thanks
MM
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi there - am new to this forum - but have already picked up some great suggestions for future trips! Cheers! Smile

Vert Hotel looks pretty cool - am already thinking abt a cheeky ski weekend to Cham in Feb/Mar.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've never skiied in Chamonix but I've just returned from Les Houches and there is plenty of snow there! Last year I skied in Le Tour, it's a great area especially for your level of skiing.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
La Tour yesterday was remarkably pleasant, if cloud bound (which I loathe). Our guests had fun, which is the most important thing.

Good snow cover - although if you unlucky enough to live in the UK and are inclined to believe the local press (call them journalists?) then you clearly won't believe me as alpine skiing in Europe is ended FOREVER and we'll all have to go ski in North America.

In fact, although I appreciate you STILL won't believe me, we have a few hundred metres of excellent "ice cream" powder at the top. Couldn't see a darn thing so I was probably skiing on rocks, given that there's no darn snow anywhere in Europe.

All round, good conditions. Except the visibility.

tomski01, It's not that fragmented. How did you get around on your walking holiday? Where would you find higher in Europe than Mont Blanc (sorry, that was a leetle tongue in cheek). Hmmm, would hate to guarantee snow. Who knows? It's pretty good right now. Yes, that's the word.

Good.

I wouldn't bother about the Mont B Unlimited as you still need to get to Courmayeur, and if you have a car you don't need to worry about fragmentation of lifts do you? Plus, Brevent-Flegere is linked and all operational (wind permitting) so lots of things to play on up there.

I'd say go for it. But I am biased...

P.S. watch out for the fish - and the Fisherman...

Twisted Evil

P.P.S. I wouldn't worry about any sort of intimdation on slopes - but as for the pig tailed swede behind the bar? Ooooh, scary in a quite delightful way....

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 8-01-07 21:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch wrote:
Where would you find higher in Europe than Mont Blanc

Mount Elbrus.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Is Chamonix the new La Rosiere Puzzled Laughing wink
snow conditions
boredsurfin, nope, it's not quite perfect enough.

laundryman, pedant. Western Europe obviously is what I meant. Clearly. Hmm, can one ski Elbrus? Might be fun??
snow conditions
David Murdoch, I expect the art is avoiding getting kidnapped. Shocked

I think it's more of a rounded mountain than the rugged Mt Blanc. I might have to do some browsing to check up on that!
ski holidays
David Murdoch, here's some info:

http://www.ifyouski.com/Technique/Touring/Elbrus/
snow report
laundryman, most interesting, thanks!
ski holidays
Quote:

For a modest rider looking for ski-in-ski-out, there are better places to go than Chamonix

I would agree with that, and most chalets will allow you to book accommodation only if you use independent means of travel. In 2 weeks we would hope for more snow but the high temperatures which are a dead cert. for the next week will do no good at all to the lower slopes in areas like Le Tour and Les Houches. None of our weather experts have been able to find many reliable signs of colder snowy weather in the next few weeks, though they've tried hard enough. If I wanted to book something right now and be sure of snow I think I'd plump for Tignes or Val D'Isere and, if the latter, resolve to swallow pride and download by lift each day. They're not my favourite areas (not that I know them very well, having only spent a week and an odd day there) and I see from other threads that there's some excellent tuition available in the Espace Killy too - if you want to get off that intermediate plateau!
ski holidays
Got back from Chamonix Monday. We did Brevent-Flegere Friday, Le Tour Saturday and Grand Montet Sunday. I’m an intermediate and had a great time, no problems with snow but I’ve never seen so many lifts breaking down before. We got stuck the other side of the valley at Le Tour and had to hike back up the piste to get back (leg burner) Sad . I’d recommend hiring a car because it gives you great access throughout the valley, I’d defiantly go back.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy